FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Analog CDs

Author Topic: Analog CDs
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Why doesn't this technology exist?

From a purely audio-centric standpoint, pure analog sound recorded onto a medium that does not come into direct contact with the instrument that interprets that data (the laser on a CD player) would be vastly superior to digital audio on the same medium. With all of the digital to analog conversions that take place in a modern stereo system, it seems to me that a purely analog system would really be sweet.

For those of you that don't know or lack the historical perspective to realize, the advantage of a CD is that, short of the aluminum on the reverse side of the disk flaking off due to age, they retain the same level of playability as when purchased new. Records, Magnetic Tape and other, older forms of audio recording, are subject to the wear and tear they encounter with every use. Also, the quality of recording used for CD's is generally really high.

However, sound is not, in and of itself, digital in nature. As you know from your basic, high school physics class, sound is in wave form. It is not a series of ones and zeros.

So, in order for a CD to be even remotely audible, the data on the disc has to be converted to analog sound- eventually. Most modern, mid-to-high level stereo and home theatre systems leave that to the very last step. The signal stays digital until it has to head out to the speakers to prevent signal degredation due to a lot of conversions.

However, your average home theare system flips back and forth between digital and analogue to reduce cost (meaning, they use whatever component is necessary to get sound, but doesn't cost a lot).

Anyways, I want the opposite. I want the signal to always be analogue- from the CD to the speaker. And why not? It would be vastly preferable and, well, really freaking shweet.

The technology exists, too. Originally, the audio tracks on laserdiscs were analog. Unfortunately, the transfer from the original medium was usually crappy so, despite the potential quality of the recording, the source material sucked so much that it didn't matter. There are some great laserdiscs with analogue tracks, though. Also, when digital audio became the big fad, most laserdiscs started focusing on the digital audio tracks instead.

The only concern would be space. Analogue tracks would require a lot more detail than digital ones, so they'd probably take up a lot more space on a disc. Of course, with the technology we have these days (DVD, HD-DVD et al), it seems like we could cram anything into a 5" piece of round plastic.

Wow. I think my medication is kicking in. Normally I wouldn't care to write long posts about stuff people probably wouldn't care about, but this is numero dos for me today.

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
I know that there are record players which use lasers to read the disks. I'm not sure whether or not they are purely analog, but I know that they exist.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen them. They cost an arm and a leg.

Of course, you also have to consider that there are no new vinyl records being produced these days. So, whatever you play on those record players will have already been worn by a needle in the past.

Most of the vinyle audiophile sites I've been to don't really talk about that technology. They mostly focus on high-end turntables and cartridges/stylii that cost $13,000 a piece.

I wish I could afford that kind of gear, but I guess I'll have to deal with my restored Dual turntable and $40 Audio-Technica cartridge.

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Of course, you also have to consider that there are no new vinyl records being produced these days. So, whatever you play on those record players will have already been worn by a needle in the past.
Actually, a surprisingly large amount of music can still be found on vinyl. If it's ever been on the radio or on any music TV station, chances are it's on vinyl - this includes both 33 1/3 albums and 45 singles. Check your Tower Records the next time you go.

Also, I'm not sure whether music DVD technology uses analog audio or really, really detailed digital, but DVD music definitely sounds superior to CD stuff and, judging from the few I've seen, is taking up almost all the space on the disks.

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
DVD audio is still digital.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

- posted      Profile for BaoQingTian   Email BaoQingTian         Edit/Delete Post 
From a signal integrety standpoint, I would prefer that the signal be transmitted digitally. As long as no massive errors occur, the signal received will be the EXACT reconstruction of the signal sent. With analog, it is impossible to send a lossless transmission.

There's nothing inherently wrong with digital-other than you always lost some information [Razz] Seriously though, to the human ear all you need to do is sample at a high enough frequency that aliasing does not occur-or (more practically) the human ear and body can't detect it. Of course, in sampling the harmonics of a frequency (musical notes), the CD sampling rate can violate the Nyquist criterion leading to a aliasing and the degradation of quality. For example, the timbre of the instrument won't sound as 'rich' or 'full.' From what I understand, the technology is there, just the consumer demand isn't. Too bad for the real audiophiles.

Posts: 1412 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
There are many places around here to get new vinyl, particularly stuff that DJs like. (Club/dance DJs, I mean.)
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
DVD audio is 24-bit/96 kHz, while CD audio is 16-bit/44.1 kHz.

I've also seen plenty of new albums released on vinyl (not nearly as many as are released on CD, of course).

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Boy:
DVD audio is 24-bit/96 kHz, while CD audio is 16-bit/44.1 kHz.

You still need a sound system rated at 96mhz right? I mean, the sound quality is only as good as the poorest component, (part of the reason I always laugh at TV commercials for Bose Wave radio, because it includes a sample of how the radio will sound... coming from my Tv set...).
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raventh1
Member # 3750

- posted      Profile for raventh1           Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like laserdisc technology to me.
I completely disagree with you on the analog vs digital stance you have of quality. Not to mention your stance on being an audiophile.

You're basically saying you'd rather get a non-exact replication of sound vs an exact replication every time.

Just because it isn't digital in nature doesn't mean you can't digitally represent it. You can represent very closely with sine and cosine. BTW, even a curve has it's ones and zeros. It all depends on how you represent those ones and zeros to get the same information back.

Posts: 1132 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
Newbury Comics (an New England based chain) sells new records. Usually rap though.
Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.