FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Needed: suggestions for a college survival kit (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Needed: suggestions for a college survival kit
MandyM
Member # 8375

- posted      Profile for MandyM   Email MandyM         Edit/Delete Post 
My 18-year-old cousin is graduating from high school and will be going off to college in the fall. For her graduation present, I am making her a college survival kit. I am buying her a nice backpack, which is her real present, and I am filling with all kinds of things she will need in college. I need ideas of inexpensive things to put in the kit. I want this to be more funny than anything else. She is a devout Christian and she is going to Baylor and she will be opening this in front of family so nothing crude (although I would think condoms would be useful, her parents would NOT).
Here is what I have thought of so far:
No-Doze tablets and cans of Red Bull (for late night cramming)
little packets of coffee (for mornings after cramming)
Ramen Noodles (when the dorm cafeteria is closed)

What else? Please also give a description of why it should be included. I am going to print that on stickers to stick on the items. Thanks!
Here is what I have thought of so far:
No-Doze tablets and cans of Red Bull (for late night cramming)
Little packets of coffee (for mornings after cramming)
Ramen Noodles (when the dorm cafeteria is closed)

What else? Please also give a description of why it should be included. I am going to print that on stickers to stick on the items. Thanks!

Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celaeno
Member # 8562

- posted      Profile for Celaeno   Email Celaeno         Edit/Delete Post 
Cheap rubber slippers (for what will inevitably be really gross dorm showers)
Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
She will be living in a dorm?

Stamps (for letters - if she actually writes instead of just e-mailing all the time)

photos of friends from back home

wal-mart gift card

quarters for laundry (unless dorm doesn't charge)

Tylenol/Advil/Motrin

Gum or candy

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
Pajama bottoms are probably the most useful and worn item in college.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Maybe a clip-on reading light

pack of playing cards (for when there is nothing else to do)

(I've been thinking about this a lot lately, as well, since my daughter will be moving to a dorm this fall)

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
collissimon
Member # 9346

- posted      Profile for collissimon   Email collissimon         Edit/Delete Post 
Chocolates or sweets to hand out to your new housemates: great for starting off conversations!
Posts: 23 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
Hangover tablets (or would that also be crossing the line?), and other misc. drinking paraphenalia.

A phone card (although the prevalence of cell phones might make this unnecessary).

To expand on Farmgirl's suggestion of photos...picture frames.

An allposters.com gift certificate.

Any of the thousands of college survival guide books - especially the cookbooks.

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Roll of quarters for the laundry
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amira tharani
Member # 182

- posted      Profile for amira tharani   Email amira tharani         Edit/Delete Post 
A couple of cheap mugs. You can never have enough mugs.
Washing powder. She will need to do some laundry at some point, unless she plans to take it all home!
Soap/shower gel. Clean is good.
Earplugs? University buildings can be loud places.
Blu-tack for putting up posters.
Bic pens. Pens get lost/broken/"borrowed" so it's always worth having about 10 spares.

Posts: 1550 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Gift card to Kroger or other local supermarket (for everything from late-night ice cream needs to "dorm food is nasty" needs)

A book that provides basic medical advice, including how to treat a cold and when to go to the doctor (very important to keep her from having $7,000 ER bills, since she'll hopefully be able to recognize and go in for anything bad BEFORE it's an emergency; there are several good ones out there or, alternatively, give her a list of websites that can help with that)

A funny DVD or two (because you can't study all the time [Wink] )

A cuddly fleece blanket (for when her roommate is up until 4 and she has to go sleep on the couch)

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
A small dry erase board to hang on your dormroom door.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

I'm trying to think of some really small toys that would just be fun to have around -- but I'm drawing a blank. Just something you can set on a desk but pick up once in awhile to fiddle with....
Celaeno
Member # 8562

quote:
Originally posted by collissimon:
Chocolates or sweets to hand out to your new housemates: great for starting off conversations!

That's exactly what I did. During introductions at the first floor meeting, I made the announcement that my mom had left me with an entire box of macadamia nut chocolates and anyone who wanted some just needed to drop by my room to say hi.

People stopped by and would stay to talk. My roommate and I knew everyone on the floor well and quickly.

Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

Is she dorming or getting her own place? Any further suggestions I'd make would depend on that.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
My laundry uses a card system, so no quarters involved.

- Those little thumbtack pins or the like, for walls/corkboard.
- Extra sticky post-it notes (or any post its)

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

(I think she's wanting to keep the cost of the contents under the price of the backpack itself, so some of these may not be doable)

Anyway,
To go along with the coffee packets, why not throw in some hot cocoa packets and hot apple cider packets?

FG

Kristen
Member # 9200

- posted      Profile for Kristen   Email Kristen         Edit/Delete Post 
Aw, what a neat and thoughtful idea!

Easy Mac and instant oatmeal as well as Ramen. Actually, a small water heater is really useful because you can make Ramen et. al without leaving the room. I don't know how expensive they are.

Microwaveable bowls. Because if it can't be nuked then it probably won't be made.

I definitely recommend earplugs. But I also recommend blinders as a roommate may need to stay up and study when she wants to sleep.

A shower basket. Often people will leave their toiletries in the shower and/or have to carry them to the showers and they make it easier.

A gift card to BJ's or Sam's Club. Bulk is good.

Posts: 484 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Farmgirl:
I'm trying to think of some really small toys that would just be fun to have around -- but I'm drawing a blank. Just something you can set on a desk but pick up once in awhile to fiddle with....

What about one of those stress balls? Or perhaps a bobble-head of some character/person that she likes? Or magnetic poetry for her fridge (if she'll have one)?

A stapler and staples, a 3-hole punch, highlighters, paperclips (the fun colored kind), and fun colored gel pens would probably be appreciated. I know I always appreciate fun colored pens, but then I'm inordinately pleased by office supplies.

Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

I was going to say "warm footsie socks for winter" but then remembered Baylor is in Texas -- not really that cold....
Kristen
Member # 9200

quote:
I'm inordinately pleased by office supplies.
You are not the only one. I actually go to Office Depot for fun.

I don't know if there is one on campus, but filling up a Starbucks card with $10 or so would always be appreciated on the days when that extra coffee/tea is really needed.

Posts: 484 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

quote:

Microwaveable bowls. Because if it can't be nuked then it probably won't be made.

Really? I cooked at least twice a week in the dorms, although I suppose that varies by availability of a kitchen (mine was down the hall).

Edit to add: A collapsible laundry hamper would also make a good gift.

Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

A good planner is essential, IMO. I'm extremely picky about the planner format - it absolutely must be formatted like this one. And I always go planner shopping early in the summer - if I wait until the school year starts, all the ones I can tolerate are already gone. I believe I've seen planners for the next school year at stores already.
Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
Well the obvious answer would be condoms.

Before you bite my head off, even if she is a virgin and plans to remain one, she should keep some around if a friend of hers or roommate needs one.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Here ya go! [Smile] [Smile]
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

(She already addressed that issue in the first post, Xavier)
Kristen
Member # 9200

Ero: In my own experience, most of my friends DID cook, but it was only a few times a month. If they weren't at a restaurant or eating at the dining hall, they were most likely studying or really busy and didn't have the time to cook.

Nell: I am really anal retentive about my planners as well. I have a leather one which have refillable inserts, which is perfect as I don't have to stress about replacing it anymore. I love it.

Princess Leah
Member # 6026

- posted      Profile for Princess Leah   Email Princess Leah         Edit/Delete Post 
Silly putty, for fun and stress reduction.
Posts: 866 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Farmgirl!

Posting from work, I can only put maybe 10-20% of my attention into any given thread.

Perhaps I shouldn't post unless I can actually, you know, read the posts I am replying to [Wink] .

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
A Rubik's cube, for studying group theory. No, really! The cube is an excellent physical representation of a transformation group. It's educational, honest!
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

Kristen, [Smile] . I actually like to keep my used planners after really eventful semesters/years because I'm not very good about keeping a regular journal/blog. But I'll probably feel moved to switch to a refillable planner at some point too as Real Life catches up with me.
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
A supply of Birthday, Anniversary, Get Well, and other cards to send her loved ones, along with the stamps already mentioned.

Spiral notebooks, with perforated edges for easy fringe removal.

Blank disks to store schoolwork on.

Salty snacks.

A Brita or Pur pitcher.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Tylenol.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
No picture frames, you don't know how many high school grads get. I think I got 8, from 8 seperate people.

Laundry stuff, like a bag, a lingerie bag, a basket, maybe detergent or softener, a bleach pen.

A really good chocolate bar.

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MandyM
Member # 8375

Thanks so much! These are great ideas! Keep 'em coming!
Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Definitely microwavable bowls. Preferably ones that don't break easily.

The first week I was living in the dorms, my friends and I almost started a fire trying to microwave a plastic bowl of something. Smoke EVERYWHERE. Dorm windows that don't open more than a crack. Smoke alarms which, but for the grace of God, we would have set off.

Speaking of fire alarms, get her some kind of shoes to wear and pajamas that she can wear in public (white tshirts will not do). We had a couple of fire alarms go off at 4 in the morning. We had another one go off around 7ish, and some of the guys in the building ended up standing outside in nothing but towels because they were in the middle of showering.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys, I'm mooching your ideas for when I go to college in the fall.

[Smile]

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MandyM
Member # 8375

I have more stuff than I will ever be able to fit in that backpack! [Big Grin]
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
I may have missed this, but in the gift card category: some fast food places also them. I've seen McDonald's, Pizza Hut and Sonic.

This is a good thread. My younger niece is also going off to college - in Chicago, from Iowa. I was wondering what to give her for graduation. Mom suggested Target or Wal-Mart gift certificates. I know they come in handy for us - especially Wal-Mart. I put some money on a Wal-Mart card every payday for gas and grocery money.

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Humean316
Member # 8175

- posted      Profile for Humean316   Email Humean316         Edit/Delete Post 
I would also go with plastic forks and spoons. The throw-away kind, hell Im 26 and I STILL use them from college days. And yes I am still a bachelor, how could you tell?

One last thing, a gas card for her car. This will most likely be essential with gas the way it is, and this would certainly help.

Posts: 457 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe somebody said this already, but definitely:

- Earplugs and a black eyemask (for shutting out noisy roommates during early morning hours)

Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, and a USB key to go on her keychain (not entirely inexpensive - but invaluable when you find out you must absolutely take this paper with you to print out, or have another similar emergency).
Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

quote:
No picture frames, you don't know how many high school grads get. I think I got 8, from 8 seperate people.
Really? Wow, I wonder if your experience was unusual or mine was...I got over 200 gifts (one of the benefits of having an enormous grad party) and not one of them was a picture frame.

The Brita is also a great idea - I laugh at how much money college kids waste on bottled water from vending machines in their buildings.

CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
The USB drive is a good idea and I just bought a 1 Gig drive to go with an FM modulator, then found out the FM modulator isn't supposed to use the bigger USB drives. (This information was inside the package, of course.) So, I could give her that and a gift card and it would be a pretty good gift.
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Mine might have been sort of unusual, but I know several friends also got a bunch of picture frames, and not from the same people.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
Going along with the Brita idea - a non-breakable, easy-to-wash, BIG water bottle is lovely to carry around campus & keep yourself hydrated.

Perhaps a Glade Plug-In scent thingy, as dorm rooms can often have smells to them, and candles aren't allowed...

I second the easy mac, instant oatmeal, ramen, and water heater. You might consider finding the ramen thread here on Hatrack and writing out some of the simplier recipies.

A book on finances would be a great idea - I think this is one of the biggest issues for freshmen. Also, The Elements of Style by Strunk and White.

Dayquil and Nightquil.

For office supplies, I'm a big fan of the smaller composition notebooks - pages in the spiral notebooks come out easier if you flip through it a lot. Large index cards can be very useful for studying.

Chapstick and extra hairbands.

An annoying, loud alarmclock that has backup batteries and a small snooze button.

A giftcard to half.com for textbooks.

Crayons or markers & a fun coloring book

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celaeno
Member # 8562

quote:
Originally posted by erosomniac:
quote:
Really? Wow, I wonder if your experience was unusual or mine was...I got over 200 gifts (one of the benefits of having an enormous grad party) and not one of them was a picture frame.
You're a guy. I got at least a half dozen.
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a college student living in a dorm. Things I've found helpful include:

Basic first aid kit: band-aids, OTC painkillers, antiseptic, antibiotic cream, something for bug bites if she lives in a mosquito prone area (the Benadryl itch stick is great), and a hot pad (my friend's mom made us all a simple hot pad--it's a large tube of cloth filled with rice, easily heated in the microwave.

Put together some of your favorite simple recipes. Because cooking in the dorm is kind of inconvenient.

A bag of cookies for when she's feeling homesick never hurts.

A roll of quarters for laundry is really, really helpful. My mom even made a small cloth bag to hold them. If the dorm doesn't require quarters at the laundry, she can always go play video games with them.

A paperback novel or book of paper and pencil games (like crosswords) for those rare moments when she's not studying.

Small whiteboards are a must when living in the dorms. How else will people leave notes for you?

A wall calendar with pictures of something she likes is always nice. Grandma sends me a calendar of Hawaii every year. When I'm done with it, I cut out the pictures and decorate the room with it. Decoration is a must for making a room feel like home.

Blank CDs/DVDs for backing up her computer, transporting files to class, or burning music for all her dormmates. You could make her a mix CD of music you think she'd like.

Pencils, pens, paper, notebooks, binders, etc. Not exciting, but very useful.

3M mounting strips. They're very handy for hanging things on walls, for example. Also, see if you can find the plastic hooks and clips that come with the strips. That way, she can have a few extra places to hang things, or keep electrical cords out of the way with clips.

A bulletin bar. Easy to hang up on the wall, very handy.

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh, mounting tape is a great idea.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
A big travel mug

A starbucks gift card

A flash memory card

Work-out outfit (I am a fan of spanky pants [Wink] )

Flip flops

A few David Sedaris books (cause he's just funny)

Gatorade mix for those drinking nights (this is innocuous too)

Really nice mechanical pencils. I am not talking those plastic trashy ones. Get a couple of the rubber handled 0.9 variety like 5 bucks each, they are AWESOME, and reliable.

A Ukelele (trust me)

Tea of several varieties

Headphones

earplugs

Cliff bars

Condoms, but maybe later when the parents aren't around

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OSTY
Member # 1480

- posted      Profile for OSTY   Email OSTY         Edit/Delete Post 
There is a great book out there called Where's Mom Now That I Need Her: Surviving Away From Home. I would highly suggest it for anyone moving away from family for the first time. It has frugal recipes, cleaning tips (including getting stains out of laundry), first aid and illness information. A great resource all in one book!
Posts: 224 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.