FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Will freezing milk prevent spoilage?

Author Topic: Will freezing milk prevent spoilage?
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know much about milk.

Thanks.

Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Magson
Member # 2300

- posted      Profile for Magson   Email Magson         Edit/Delete Post 
I know some people who stock up when there's a sale on milk and freeze it, then thaw it in the fidge when thye want to use it. I thkn it works okay.

Freezing cheese works -- this I know from experience. The milk thing I've only heard about.

Posts: 1323 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I've frozen milk, then defrosted it and used it. It was fine. It seems that you have to shake it up, though. So...milkshakes!
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Freezing milk, like freezing most things, delays the formation of bacteria that cause spoiling. Freezing does tend to cause some separation, though, so as Tante said, you will probably want to stir it up after thawing. The separation tends to be worse with whole milk, less with skimmed.

In Brazil, getting to the market before all the milk was gone was a tricky business so we'd stock up when we found milk and freeze it. (It came in liter-sized plastic bags, like a pillow of milk). More often than not, we'd skip thawing it altogether and just cut it into chunks and blend it with bananas and strawberry quick and make really good milkshakes.

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
Freezing milk works fine. However, freezing the softer cheeses will change their consistency. For instance, chedder will end up crumbley like a blue, if you freeze it.
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
My mom useda freeze milk. Definately, 100% shake it up. Otherwise you'll get milkwater
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, you can freeze milk (although I only do it with breastmilk, I don't like the way it tastes after it's frozen. But if I had to, I would. Kind of like powdered milk-- if I had to, I would, but mostly I just use it for cooking.)
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
Cooking is exactly what I need it for; I have a.... don't exactly know what to call it; it's like a veggie cake.... thing that I make. As part of my ingenious plan to lose weight.

I usually only end up using about 2/3rds of the milk before the expiration date.

I don't drink milk.

Hatrack, as always, you guys are great. Thanks. This was the info I needed.

Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.