FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » iPod Nano, iriver U10, or another MP3 Player?

Author Topic: iPod Nano, iriver U10, or another MP3 Player?
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
My father considered for my birthday to get me an MP3 Player. Prices in Israel are significantly higher than the US, and I have a friend's father who'll be in the US until the 24th and he'll deliver the parcel back to Israel.

My father does not want to spend over $100. I have roughly $40 I can bud-in myself from pocket money and my brother & grandmother don't know what to get - so money is the way to go as far as they're concerned.

The question is only which MP3 player to get. On the one hand, the iPod Nano 1GB is $145, but it's very scratchy and does not have video or a radio. A friend of mine who has a Nano said "go for the iriver". The iriver I'm considering is the U10 - small, but not too much; high music quality and great colours; radio, alarm clock (irrelevant with my Nokia 3120) and flash games; photos and video; but it costs $175. It doesn't get scratched, though it still gets full of fingerprints because of the touch-screen.

Plus, with video, maybe 1GB isn't enough...

Then again, maybe just a plain, unbragworthy MP3 player without the bells and whistles. A Creative Zen Nano Plus? Sandisk 2GB? I don't know which is best to get. I don't mind spending the ~$40, but it should be worth it. What do you people say?

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Samsung YP Z5 (2 gig), which is awesome, but I think it will more be in the $175 price range. It's sort of like a 2 gig nano size-wise, but it doesn't get scratched, it "feels" a lot sturdier, has a bigger screen, and does photos. But it doesn't do video.

I don't know why you'd really want to do video on such a small screen. And I doubt 1 gig would be enough, if you want to put enough music on it to entertain yourself.

I have heard good things about the Creative players, though.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
Since I'm only going to put on my favourites - and those change every day - I put my selection of a few hundred megs of what I want to onto the player and refresh it the following day if needed.

But I don't have much more than $175 to push... [Smile]

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

That's SO much work! I'm too lazy for that.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

Maybe just get something cheap and in 2-3 years get a smartphone that'll have a PDA, cellphone, music, video, pics, et cetera, et cetera?
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

- posted      Profile for SoaPiNuReYe           Edit/Delete Post 
Theres a nice itunes compatable music phone that just came out.
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

Company, model, price?

I *have* a phone. I payed 150 !@#$%^& NIS to get it. (Yeah, my parents payed for the rest. BTW, what's the difference between "paid" and "payed"?)

SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

- posted      Profile for SoaPiNuReYe           Edit/Delete Post 
I think its a cingular, It can hold 80 songs and is iTunes compatible. I forget the model but it was in a Best Buy catalog. I think it was like between $250-$300. (US dollars)
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

The Motorola SLVR.

There is also a Walkman phone. I kind of want it.

-pH

Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Mine is the Creative Zen Nano Plus, and I love it! Get the extra earbuds, though, with the custom fit. They're comfortable for long periods of time and they sound great.

You can get the 1GB one for $70 now. Wow, when I bought mine a few weeks ago they were $110!

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

quote:
Enjoy the amazing, skip free, audio quality when you're listening to your MP3 and WMA music.
*has grammar Nazi attack*

-pH

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I just bought myself a Creative Zen Nano Plus. I'm very satisfied with it, and I only spent $70 dollars on it.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xxsockeh
Member # 9186

- posted      Profile for xxsockeh   Email xxsockeh         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't get an iPod, whatever you do.
I haven't even USED mine yet, let alone got music onto it, and it already broke down.

I have an RCA Lyra, myself, and I love it. =)

Posts: 63 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

quote:
Originally posted by pH:
quote:
Enjoy the amazing, skip free, audio quality when you're listening to your MP3 and WMA music.
*has grammar Nazi attack*

-pH

*pats head sympathetically* I know... I know...

And I thought *I* have trouble with tenses... [Razz]

I think I'll go for the Zen Nano Plus.

Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
I just bought myself a Creative Zen Nano Plus. I'm very satisfied with it, and I only spent $70 dollars on it.

How much does it hold? I see a 1GB model on Amazon.com for $69.85. It's a vicious shade of bright green, though. Are they good?
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Um, it holds 1 GB.

Actually, my 1GB one hasn't come in yet, although it should today. I have been borrowing a 1/2 GB version, and have been extremely pleased with it.

They have many different colors. I've seen pink, green, blue, black, and white. I ordered the blue one because for some reason Amazon was charging shipping for the black one. If I had known about the ones on buy.com or officedepot.com, I would have tried to get a black one from one of them if I could get free shipping.

They have them at amazon.com, buy.com, and officedepot.com.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

Ordered a Nano Plus for $70. Black, I think, from Amazon (my father ordered).

It's weird, they had different prices for different colours...

Celaeno
Member # 8562

- posted      Profile for Celaeno   Email Celaeno         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jonathan Howard:
BTW, what's the difference between "paid" and "payed"?

It's always "paid" unless you're talking about letting out a line.
Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

Letting out a line?
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

Letting out a line?

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.