FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » New NBC Fall Lineup - Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: New NBC Fall Lineup - Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
So if Bradley Whitford's character had been standing there with one of the female interns while Sting was singing, you'd be just as invested in if they kissed or not as with Matt and Harriet?

I don't buy that it was the song that made the entire moment. I think it set the mood, but the feelings and emotions, or heat between the two of them was palpable, and it had been building since the first episode.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
Lyr,
You may be able to detect some subtle hints that what I was saying was not meant to be taken seriously, that is was what is known in the biz as a joke.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Oh I know you were exaggerating, and it was amusing, but usually such comments still have at their comedic base a kernel of truth in criticism.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
Lyr,
I think you're under the mistaken impression that I didn't like the scene or that I thought it was unrealistic. I was making a joke that relied on exaggerating the romantic power of Sting into a siren-like ability to overcome people's will.

I am, from time to time, given to making japes and jacks and other manner of humorous statements. When I do so, I generally rest them not on underlying beliefs but on what is needed for the joke, in this case that no one could resist the romantic aura exuded by the luted Sting. The kernel of truth here is that this was a romantic addition to the background that added to the tension in the scene, to its benefit.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Does he really have a cd coming out where he plays that, among other luted songs?
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Not that song, but he does have a CD coming out with John Dowland (1563-1626) songs called Songs from the Labyrinth. It's considered crossover, since Dowland was a Renaissance composer. He plays the lute on some songs, but I believe mostly he sings (and I'm getting this from the NPR report that I heard).

Here's the NPR bit.

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.