FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Ben Bova anyone?

Author Topic: Ben Bova anyone?
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
I am jumping on the Bova train WAAY late.

Well, since I am only 21, I suppose its the train of a slightly different age.

I am pretty sure I have read some of his short stories as part of school, but I don't remember them as making huge lasing impressions. Tonight I decided to delve in and I dowloaded "Saturn" and "Titan," from Audible.com

What am I to expect? What is the best of the Bova codex? What are his politics and what is his history? I honestly know nothing about him.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Atlantis
Member # 8788

- posted      Profile for Atlantis   Email Atlantis         Edit/Delete Post 
I almost bought one of his books yesterday, but decided not to because I honestly know nothing about him, much like yourself.

I'd be interested to know a little myself.

Posts: 37 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OlavMah
Member # 756

- posted      Profile for OlavMah   Email OlavMah         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved Mars when it came out; I was only 15 or so, though, and a friend of mine who read it last year pointed out some flaws in the science. Still, I loved the story. Death Dream had some major flaws in the science (VR technology) that I couldn't get past, and the Moon books... I think I only got through the first one.

He's a good writer, though, and he was a professional scientist. I'm not always a big fan of his characters, and the "New Morality" movement that is in his later books seems a little flat to me. But I'd recommend him to anyone interested in some decent hard-SF.

Here's a piece of trivia for you: his wife is OSC's agent.

Posts: 700 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Atlantis
Member # 8788

- posted      Profile for Atlantis   Email Atlantis         Edit/Delete Post 
This only goes further to prove my theory that all SF writers are part of a secret community that spends its time mocking mere mortals such as ourselves.

Damn those SF writers...* raises fist*

Posts: 37 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
So does anybody have any Bova info? What's his game, who are the players? What are the series?
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked the 'Orion' series, but I can do without the rest of his opus. Pretty flat, really.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.