FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » 24 Season Five Discussion and 24 Season Six Speculation

Author Topic: 24 Season Five Discussion and 24 Season Six Speculation
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
2 Hour Season Finale next week. Last night was really good. Though how they get so many traitors involved is beyond me.
It looks like Jack and the President finally get a face to face next week too. That should be fun. Wonder if that’ll be the typical 24 shock ending.
There’s been so many people who have just showed up for a little bit and you have no clue what happened to them next. Like Wayne Palmer and Kim Bower. I know, they’re just somewhere else now and ok. And I guess there’s only so much you can do in a 24 hours period!
Wonder what season 6 will be about? Jake becomes President and is starts taking out terrorists as he goes from different countries.

[ May 23, 2006, 09:10 AM: Message edited by: Jay ]

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
For some reason, I'm much more interested in the subplot with the First Lady and Aaron than I am in Bierko's attack. I guess the whole "What do you do in an impossible situation where every choice is bad?" thing is why I watch 24, and the First Lady's storyline is doing more of that, while Jack right now is in much more of a "Stop the badguys! Now!" sort of situation.
Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

Why was her choice bad? She saved Aaron. Sure she shot the bad guy, but what else do you do to bad guys?
Except Jack and Mike Foster isn't Aaron like the only one left from season 1? Heck, CTU itself has been hit multiple times.

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Mike Novik.

Kim Bauer is still around too. She was in this season briefly.

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
Jay, what is the first lady supposed to do NOW, though? Keep supporting the president, despite the murders he ordered? Take him down and expose him, despite what that will do to the country and our relationship with Russia and the Middle East? And how exactly do you hide a body, anyway? Can anyone find out about what happened without it somehow backfiring on her? I see this going very badly, no matter what she does.
Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

Novik….. Foster is someone at work….. Sheeze………
Yeah, I left Kim out. So is that it? 4 characters that have been around the whole time?

Ok, I see what you are saying. I was thinking of the First Lady’s choice for that show. I guess she has to half hope that someone can help her expose him. Sort of like how Palmer left Sherry in season 1 because of her deception. I’d be looking for help. Maybe she’ll be the one that brings Jack and Charles together! The way Jack was acting in the preview I’m wondering if he’s not just going to shoot him. But they still need to get the power broker guys that I don’t think CTU knows about yet other then the short ranting last night about them.

docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
See, what I'm really afraid of is that bringing down the power guys will be next season.

And that, because they can't just have Jack Bauer show up in a room with the guys or he'd just blow them away, next season will consist of the power guys throwing bad guy after bad guy at Jack out in the field.

So it will end up being kind of like if Alias and Batman:Knightfall had a kid. And while I liked both of those, that just doesn't sound like 24.

While I'm grateful this season hasn't been wandering the way, say, season 3 did, it's just been a little too focused.

Remember back in Season One, when it seemed like nobody ever had a scene together until they had a reason to mistrust/be at odds with each other?

Now everybody in the whole world is on Jack's side. And everybody in the whole Presidential retreat would completely believe whatever CTU said because they're all already so suspicious.

And since they were all trying to do one thing for the last four episodes--bring down Logan--now this whole submarine thing feels like a superfluous tangent.

I think ultimately, it will come down to Jack being in basically the same predicament as the first lady--does he take the law into his own hand, based on what he knows, even though it would make him the biggest criminal in the nation?

Off the top of my head, I'd guess somebody else actually does it--like Aaron--right when Jack's about to get a Presidential lead on the big bad guy committee.

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe the first lady will do it! She's totally hopped up on drugs, and she just killed a man. Plus, she's in love with Aaron. It's perfect!
Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

I want Kim in 24 more next season

For some reason......

Ozymandias
Member # 9424

- posted      Profile for Ozymandias   Email Ozymandias         Edit/Delete Post 
i dont have a T.V
Posts: 19 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Jay: Cuz she's hot?
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

I really enjoy her great acting?
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

I think we're back to "Cuz she's hot"
Jay
Member # 5786

Maybe it’s because of her perspective in the environment of CTU and how it makes outsiders feel. The family of those involved. Maybe it’s about feelings.
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

*clap clap* "Good answer! Good answer!".... "Survey SAYS?"
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
When we watch scenes with Kim in them and she has one of those long, meaningful pauses where she's looking blankly off in the distance, one of us invariably says, "I think I like marshmallows."

We are easily amused.

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

Maybe she should be a super agent:
http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&sa=N&resnum=0&q=Kim%20Bauer&spell=1&tab=wi

The Pixiest
Member # 1863

Olivet, You're a hoot!
Jay
Member # 5786

Tonight is it! How exciting.
I wonder if Jack will finally go to the bathroom. Holding it like he has been for 22 hours can’t be healthy. Plus he has to be hungry….

docmagik
Member # 1131

Wow. You east coasters are already into it, huh?

When they show it out there, do they adjust the time stamps for the time difference?

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

Goodness..... what an ending.
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow...that was incredible. My fiancee had to go and call the hidden recorder bit as soon as Jack picked up the pen. She always catches stuff like that. Still awesome, though. I can't believe we have to wait until January for Day 6.
Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
narrativium
Member # 3230

- posted      Profile for narrativium           Edit/Delete Post 
Get over it, Jay. Kim is not coming back.

And good riddance.

Posts: 1357 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

Wow! That was amazing!

I never would have guessed that Wayne Palmer would jump out of David's casket with an AK-47 and blow away Logan! That was un-freaking-believable.

And the way they found that guy Chloe kept tazering dead in her CTU locker and arrested her--brilliant.

Jay
Member # 5786

Wonder if they'll have Wayne Palmer be President next?
Jay
Member # 5786

I hate that we have to wait till January for season six. Oh well. It seems that there is usually some time between each season. I wonder how much will be between these two.
docmagik
Member # 1131

I'm sorry it's over. I guess that's how I feel about it. Not overwhelmed by the final episode(Did anybody NOT guess the President was bugged?) or the final twist (After a long, hard day, Jack gets to go on a nice cruise!) or the season as a whole, but I'll miss having something to look forward to each week.

So what did they mean by Jack being too "Valuable?" They going to sell Jack? Or are they going to do a Manchurian Candidate on him, and next season Jack is the bad guy?

You know, as cheesy a plot device as that sounds, I think it would be a lot of fun to watch. The Chinese tell Jack all about the secret cartel that's running the country, everything they're doing, turn Jack anti-establishment, then turn him loose on the US.

All the characters we don't care about are ready to take down Jack, and Chloe has to keep them from killing him.

msquared
Member # 4484

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared         Edit/Delete Post 
Logan tipped off the Chinese to Jack being alive.

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

I called the pen.

I called "there's still 15 minutes left. They like to put messed up things at the end of the season"

My husband called "Don't listen to him! He's Chinese!!!!"

Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
Next season will start with Jack back at CTU with no mention of the Chinese. Half way through the season someone will mention what happened to him, and how he got back.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

Wait, no. They make Jack single handedly conquer North Korea and reunify the two countries. Then something else happens in the last 23 episodes.
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

msquared: they were saying his name on the news and stuff earlier in the season. I don't think they needed Mr Logan =)
docmagik
Member # 1131

So where does everybody put this season in terms of the other seasons?

What would your season ranking be?

Jay
Member # 5786

So it’ll be about the secret group of “others” and the Chinese that want to stop them so they can rule the US with Jack trying to save President Mike Novak from some new death from exposure to a new computer?
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by docmagik:
So where does everybody put this season in terms of the other seasons?

What would your season ranking be?

Better then 3 and 4, not as good as 1 and 2.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Wait, no. They make Jack single handedly conquer North Korea and reunify the two countries. Then something else happens in the last 23 episodes.
[ROFL]
Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
My ratings:

2,1,5,3. I don't remember actually watching any of season 4. I'm sure I did, but I just don't remember it.

And I think the SecDef who drove off the cliff is the next President. Wayne Palmer is a boring choice, and Mike Novick loses a lot of his power as a character if he becomes President.

<edit>Oh yeah, season 4 was Marwan. Now that I remember, I'd probably put 4 last, if only because it was the only season that didn't motivate me to watch the final episode.

Favorite scene (any season):
Jack cuts of Chases's hand in season 3. That was awesome.

Runner-up:
George Mason takes the plane down in the desert East of LA in season 2.

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

Favorite scene of any season for me is "I NEED A HACKSAW!"

My hubby and I still quote that sometimes.

docmagik
Member # 1131

My ratings:

(Forgive me if I repeat stuff. Not that anybody remembers what I say anyway. [Wink] )

Season 1 was awesome. That is an experience I will never have again. I don't care if any season stinks on ice--it is still 24, and because it's associated with season 1, it will be better TV than most TV.

Season 4 was also great. It recaptured a lot of the lost focus from season 3. It managed to keep lots of plots going at once without any of the plots skewing off into weird, uninteresting tangents. The family was terrific in this, rather than the distraction Kate Warner's family felt like a lot of the time. It did kind of taper off by the end--rather than building momentum, it felt like the threat level had been downgraded (to just one missle) by season end. A good enough season I can almost forgive them for never showing Michelle with her hair down.

Season 2 was good, but not great. The first season had been so intensely personal that the second season felt a little less desperate. While the cougar gets too much talk time relative to actual screen time, its still probably as good a symbol as any for the idiocy that became all the Kim stuff. Producers forgot that Kim being in jeopardy wasn't interesting alone--it was pairing it with the awful situations it put her parents in to keep her safe that made it work.

This was the season they did the best job of really tying together what Jack was doing in the field with what Palmer was doing to run the country. They did such a good job of it, that that's still what a lot of people remember 24 as being (including the producers, judging by interviews) even though this is the only season it really happened in.

Season Five: I hate to put this season down this far, especially because it started so good, but it lost me towards the end. It seemed like so many set-ups were just wasted. Nearly everyone who knows Jack's secret is killed to frame Jack! Wow! How will he get out of this one? Oh, pretty easily, and in like one more episode. Wow! Terrorists took over an airport! Jack's their only hope! And he's stuck with the terrorists! What will happen? I guess they'll kneel around for an hour. Oh, look! Tony's awake! Boy is he going to be mad! Good stuff will happen now! Op, never mind. He's dead.

There were some good moments. The hobbit went out with some style. Henderson's death was good, even if the submarine bit seemed pointless. Itzin did a fantastic job making us all hate Logan, and Agent Pierce is played so understated that I wouldn't believe he would be as strong a character as he is if I hadn't watched the season myself. Some terriffic acting going on in there.

Season 3 was the worst. The Jack storylines were okay, and there was a lot of Michelle (always a plus), but the stuff with the President was awful. Blackmailing a senator? Calling up bad guy Sherrie for help?

Then all the soap-operaish bits. A baby at CTU? Can't tell daddy about our true love? Bleah.

Jay
Member # 5786

I'm cuurently watching season 3 so I'll have the rest of that and season four to keep me going for a little while.
docmagik
Member # 1131

Boy, I wish.

There's an interview here:

http://www.tvweek.com/executiveBriefing.cms

Says next season is already being written, and is back in LA, that at least one writer felt Tony's death was mishandled, and that there will most likely not be a "prequel" for next season on the DVDs.

Baron Samedi
Member # 9175

- posted      Profile for Baron Samedi           Edit/Delete Post 
I really liked season 3.
Posts: 563 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

Whether they were good or not, every single season has been fun to watch (and heckle).

Excerpts from our heckling:

Me: Oh, look! Sherries gonna TALK him to death!

She does.

We also have a lot of fun with the word "protocol".

Oh! The scene this season, a couple of eps ago, when Henderson was 'helping' them get the intermediary... Chloe said his security was impenetrable and one of us shouted, "He's got NORTON!!!!"

It's like, the most fun, interactive show EVAR!

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

I always enjoy the frequent screams of Jack yelling “Dam it!!”

I never got why he was always thinking there is something wrong at the dam or their need for one. But it seems like it’s at least once an episode. Sort of like a “Dooahhhh” from Homer Simpson. Could make for a nice montage of those all strung together.

docmagik
Member # 1131

Season 3 had its moments. I liked the stuff with Jack in prison. The Mexico bits were good. It had the great scene where Tony goes running off to pull a Jack From Season 1 and save Michelle, and Jack having to stop him. And like I said, Michelle was never better.

Never dug Chase, though. Which guy from NSync plays him?

The Pixiest
Member # 1863

The best part of Season three was saying Claaaaaaauuuuuuuuuuudia every time she came on the screen. I got my hubby doing that too.
Olivet
Member # 1104

Ours took the form of more voice-over type commentary. "I extend my large, sultry, Latin lips towards the sunset and think deep thoughts."

Good times.

Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
I think msquared is right about Logan tipping off the chinese. He told the bigwigs(or whatever we want to call them) on the phone that Jack was going to be taken care of, and never really explained it. I think it was definitely him that got in touch with the chinese.

Also, don't know how many 24 fans are also Boondock Saints fans, but Chloe's ex-husband is the mob boss(Yakavetta). I'm almost 100% positive this is correct even though I can't find 24 listed in his actors bio. I couldn't figure it out at first because of the accent, but it then suddenly hit me. Just picture him saying, "I'm a having a sh**y day, tell me a joke".

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

Are there any truth to IMDB's reports that Steve Erkel was in one of the last couple episodes of this? I find it dubious.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.