FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Gray's Anatomy (spoilers)

Author Topic: Gray's Anatomy (spoilers)
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, so I'm not one to gush over popular TV shows or participate in (much less create) TV show threads, but..... Oh my god! Did you see Gray's Anatomy last night?

That was crazy! When Sunday night's episode ended, everyone I was watching with was standing up/jumping around/screaming/generally freaking out.

I mean, seriously, what was going on in that chick's head? Denny (or is it Danny?) had already sign the DNR form, and now she is going to force him to have a heart attack when he might not even get the new heart? and why didn't the other guy stop her from doing it? (sorry, i don't remember most of their names)

Gah! I haven't actually seen last night's episode yet. A friend has it on DVR for me. But feel free to tell me what happened, I pretty much know already. What did you people think of the last couple of episodes, or the whole show in general?

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dawnmaria
Member # 4142

- posted      Profile for dawnmaria   Email dawnmaria         Edit/Delete Post 
I LOVE the show! Last night's episode was great. I cried though when they put the dog to sleep. We had to do the same thing when our dog got bone cancer so I felt a little emotional over that. I love how they say so much through other things. Like when Derek told her it was a good dog. Really meaning their relationship. And Izzie has just gone nuts. I don't know what to think about her. But I was glad to see George & Christina get their personal relationships back on track. I wanted to slap both of them for not doing it sooner. I can't wait for the new season, it's going to be a long summer waiting for this and Battlestar Galactica!
Posts: 601 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a Grey's Anatomy addict too. It's ABC's fault that I don't get any sleep on Sunday nights. Though now I should be in good shape since the season is over.

I was thoroughly traumatized by the season finale. Izzie had this great impassioned speech talking Denny into her crazy plan when wouldn't it have been simpler to just passionately beg him to reverse his DNR standing? And then the rest of them, including Burke, going along with her? Uh...hello? Is everyone having so many relationship problems that they've all lost their ability for critical thinking? I knew this was Denny's last episode, so it seemed logical that it ended the way it did, and I hated that all the emotional manipulation of the story actually worked, but at the same time loved it because Denny's speech to her about his plans for the future made it all worth it.

The only part I was genuinely unhappy about was the season resolution to Meredith and Derek's relationship. Yes, an entire season of sexual tension, and then they go off and act out in a way that could do nothing but hurt each other and the people who love them. Derek's "What does this mean?" was about 15 minutes too late. I had finally come to the point of really appreciating their choices for the season. I loved Meredith's choice to pick up knitting instead of men. I loved her realization that her choices were hurting her. I would have been far more impressed with that scene if Meredith had slapped Derek instead of giving in. It'll be interesting to see how this all plays out. Despite myself, I've grown to really like Addison. And Karev (his lines to Izzie as he pulled her off Denny were fab and right in character, I thought).

Oh, and I really liked George's apology to Meredith.

Overall, very happy with the season finale. Now I need to rent season 1. I haven't seen any of it.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
This is my post from the other thread:

quote:
I should NOT have stayed up to watch GA, but I was hooked in. I was annoyed that Meredith couldn't beat McDreamy off with a bat because I actually admired him for staying with his wife. It must have felt good for her to tell Addison that NO! She, Meredith, was NOT sleeping with Derek. She can't say that anymore and that makes it sad. Their forbidden love was much more interesting than them getting together. I also really like Finn.

I found myself really sad to see Denny go. I was smitten actually.

Favorite part: When the Chief found out that his wife knew about his affair...and then when he realized that Meredith knew as well. That scene with he and Meredith where she stared him down until he had to look away was fantastic. Made me rub my hands together with evil glee.

I completely agree with you about M. and D. and their stupid sex in last night's episode. I admired them for their restraint (especially Derek) and now I'm sad because everything is a mess. I REALLy like Finn. Have I mentioned that? [Smile]
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe this was the writers' way of writing Izzie out as a character, because the actress has moved on to other projects. Surely Izzie is gone. No intern who did what she did could possibly be allowed to continue in the medical profession. But the acting was great. I could feel Izzie's insane desperation.

The situation would be a malpractice attorney's dream.

As for Meredith and Derek, it is easy to say that Derek should stay with his wife, Allison, and Meredith should stick to her resolve to forget him and move on. But Allison was unfaithful to Derek, giving Derek full grounds for divorce. So why didn't he sign the divorce papers?

What can you do, but borrow from the Bard and say, "What fools these mortals be!"

George is my hero. He seems to be the only sane character on the show. There is character growth in him and all around him.

It was a positive note to end on to show Christina choosing to remain human, and commit herself to be with Burke in his uncertain struggle to regain full use of his hand, when at first she had wanted to run the other way.

I do have to object though to the stupid "Prom" idea. A prom in a hospital? That somehow seemed like a contrivance just to explain how no one seemed to be available to notice when Denny developed an embolism from a blood clot, and no one was there when he flatlined.

[ May 16, 2006, 02:24 PM: Message edited by: Ron Lambert ]

Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

Yeah. That's why they needed the really loud Valentine's day party at the nurse's station on ER while Carter and the resident got stabbed repeatedly two rooms away. The party diversion. [Smile]
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Ron, back around the super bowl Ellen Pompeo (Meredith) said in an interview that one of the interns was leaving the show and already knew about it.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

Narnia, that was the last season I watched ER. Poor Carter. [Frown]

Just when you thought ER had sucked all the life out of hospital dramas, we get GA and House. I love both those shows. My husband tolerates my GA addiction, hates that I watch Desperate Housewives (what a weird show...) but watches House with me while making comments about how dumb AI is.

It occurs to me that it's possible I watch too much TV. [Smile]

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

You watch EXACTLY the same shows that I do jeniwren. I started watching DH against my will, but I'm still rather 'Meh' about it. I'll probably pass up the finale. House and AI are on my list, as is the Apprentice and GA. I've missed too much Lost to know what's going on, so I'll have to start that one after I watch the 2nd season this summer.
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
I read the book, but.... I don't know.... it didn't seem to have much plot.
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

You could tell the writer cared about the subject. I mean he dissected every last detail.
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

I'll probably watch the DH finale, but thus far am not too pleased with what's happening. I always liked Lynnette and her husband because their marriage seemed more sane than most portrayed on TV. They stuck me as the most 'normal' of the cast, without being boring. Their kids are insane and out of control, and clearly they have no idea what to do to make it better, but that's the appeal, because all good parents have that feeling at least some of the time. They try though, and they fight with each other, and make up again. Now it looks like he's having an affair and there's still some hope it's all a misunderstanding, but the fundamental problem with the situation is that he's lying to her about something. I hope the writers can resolve this without making them as whacked as the rest of the characters.

I started watching the show because it was after Extreme Makeover Home Edition (which the whole family watches), and I wanted to find out why it was so bad. It makes me laugh. Now it's really more of a segue to GA.

I haven't seen the Apprentice or Lost and figure I'm better off not starting either one of them. Right now it's bad enough that I watch GA, DH, EM:HE, AI, House and Battlestar Galactica. Ummm...and I like Drake and Josh too, and watch it with my kids while making dinner. [Smile]

Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
This show just started a few weeks ago over here and the trailers looked good, so I watched the first episode. I guess my question is - do the characters ever get any less smug?

I mean, I watch Lost, and the O.C., Sex and the City and Desperate Housewives have all been guilty pleasures of mine in the past, but this seemed overwhelmingly pleased with itself, as did the characters. And I'm not even sure why I feel that way. Maybe it's just the actress who plays Meredith? Or maybe it was just too much like Scrubs, only without the humour.

So should I give it another chance? Everyone but me seems to be obsessed with this show.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

There was plenty of muscle in the story, for sure.
Angiomorphism
Member # 8184

- posted      Profile for Angiomorphism           Edit/Delete Post 
A few episodes ago on scrubs (ok maybe a bit more than a few, but still this season), JD was talking to Eliot, and he says to her, "hey did you catch that episode of grey's anatomy on tv last night? You know it's crazy, it's like they're making a television show about out lives!"

classic scrubs! (but I also love GA, and was pretty bumbed that Denny died, and am getting seriously tired of Derek and Meredith..)

Posts: 441 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
I've gotten sucked into GA and really like it. But what is it with that icky opening montage? Those feet rubbing together...bleck!

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
But I love the eyelash curler part.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

But they definitely have some nerve!
Princess Leah
Member # 6026

- posted      Profile for Princess Leah   Email Princess Leah         Edit/Delete Post 
There are so many medical dramas around... I'd like to be able to say that the writers of GA have some guts to shill this, but I just can't. [Smile]
Posts: 866 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
I've only seen a few episodes, but I think I get the flow of the plot. Having Christina freak out at broken Burke was a wonderful idea, as was showing the opposite relationship between Izzy and Denny. The execution was mediocre. I think the problem was the acting, but I'm not sure. With respect to bad acting, they should just let Chandra Wilson deliver one or two liners until either her chops get better or they find another writer for her. She delivers a line as good as any working actor, but for extended emotional scenes, i.e., when she was angry at the interns, she looked horribly fake.
Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.