FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Waiting in line to go Wii

Author Topic: Waiting in line to go Wii
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
...er, to see the Wii, I mean. Not that that sounds much better. Anyway Gamespot has a video that includes some actual Wii gameplay, and also the massive line at Nintendo's booth, inadvertantly getting on G4, and some E3 swag. Warning: It's about 22 minutes and you do have to wait through about half of that before you see any of the actual Wii games.

Meanwhile, Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz has probably pushed me from waiting to see how the early-adopters like the Wii to trying to get myself one at launch. The Wii controller isn't the only thing that's easy to manipulate. [Grumble]

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I watched Nintendo's E3 press briefing and they showed some gameplay there, as well. GameCube games in 480p look decent on my HDTV, but you can definitely see jaggies. I'm interested in the Wii for Twilight Princess and even more so for Metroid Prime 3, but I doubt I'll be buying one at or too close to launch.

On a completely unrelated note, curse you for reminding me that I didn't have Geometry Wars Evolved on my 360. *grumble*

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
I've had a pitcher of the Kool-Aid. I just preordered a DS (Nintendogs for the win!), and depending on how long the positive buzz continues, I might preorder the Wii too.

-Mike

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

I'm eyeing the DS for Age of Empires. [Big Grin]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

See, I'd just get AoE for the PC. I'm looking at Brain Age, Tetris, Nintendogs, probably New SMB, Trauma Center.

THere are a frightening number of dating sims on the DS though... Including one that plays up the fact that you "blow" and "touch" as part of the gameplay.

*ick*

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Nintendo played its cards right. They got the silly name and the silly controller cleared up with audiences well before E3, so that they would have time to get accomodated to the unorthodox concepts of the console.

Then, at E3, pure wow.

Very long line for the Wii. Hours and hours to wait just to get into the Nintendo booth and even gaze upon one. The line for the PS3 was measurable in minutes and was equivilant to the line to view a console that has been out in stores for months.

Wii are the champions, my friendddd

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
I waited on a list for two hours to play Super Mario Galaxy, and got kicked off after a minute and a half so some press guys could demo it.

I couldn't even have my full four minutes? For rude!

Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

quote:
Originally posted by Bokonon:
See, I'd just get AoE for the PC.

From what I've read, they're pretty different, so I see no reason not to get both. [Big Grin] I'm also interested in Electroplankton and Meteos.

And yes, I admit it, Metroid Prime: Hunters.

TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to admit, Nintendo's plan is working. I really want to try out the Wii.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Nintendo's plans always work.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw the initial press release for the Wii controller and I thought "OOOO thats interesting" but I do agree they certainly played their cards right by getting the public accomidated with the controller THEN busting out the games, it takes me back to old school nintendo with power pads, light guns, etc. I miss playing games where alot of the fun was in the actual hands/peripherals, not in the gameplay alone.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

quote:
Originally posted by SteveRogers:
Nintendo's plans always work.

I see now! The Virtual Boy designed to fail miserably!

-Bok

SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Bok, that was purely a publicity stunt. There's no such thing as bad publicity.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swampjedi
Member # 7374

- posted      Profile for Swampjedi   Email Swampjedi         Edit/Delete Post 
I just wish I had a brokerage account - I'd get me some Nintendo stock. I feel that good about the system's chances, coupled with the PS3 price point.
Posts: 1069 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
Nintendo still hasn't announced the price for the Wii (AFAIK), and so I really hope it's in the $200-$250 range most gaming sites are estimating. Even though Nintendo hasn't said it'll be that cheap a lot of people have that expectation so they could really get hurt if the Wii costs much more than that.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
The Virtua Boy was a legitimate failure.

In other news, Why people will own the Wii.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BryanP
Member # 7772

- posted      Profile for BryanP           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a long time Nintendo fan and after the Gamecube, I was gonna give up on them (it has some great games, but it's been lackluster compared to their past systems). But I'm pretty fired up for the Wii now - though I have a hard time actually saying "Wii" to people... The controller looks amazing, and I don't spend enough time playing video games anymore to spend the amount of money necessary to buy a PS3 or XBox. All previous Nintendo systems have launched for $200, so I would bet strongly the Wii will as well (nice alliteration, eh?).

Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3, Tennis, Red Steel, Smash Bros. Brawl, Twilight Princess.... *drool*

Posts: 326 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
Whenever I talk about it, I have to say, "Wiiiiiiii" in a high, fey voice. It's like a tiny magical pixie is riding a merry go round inside my mouth.
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
What the hell is a Virtual Boy?

I mean, aside from that Vin Diesel program I have running in my holodeck.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
The Virtua Boy was a legitimate failure.

In other news, Why people will own the Wii.

Holy Crap!

Is that legit?

It's so unlike most of the games that Nintendo usually releases. They tend to stick to the more fun/kiddie stuff. It's nice to see them brancing out, and really taking full use of the benefits of their new controller. I think everyone's first or second though with that controller is "I'd love to have a swordfight with that." Among other things. Some of it still looks really odd, but I'd love to give it a try.

I only worry that they might not have a lot of titles, how are the gaming companies feeling about making games specifically for this system? It has to require a lot more work so it syncs correctly.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Forget the Wii, I just want an hour on pH's holodeck.
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I only worry that they might not have a lot of titles, how are the gaming companies feeling about making games specifically for this system? It has to require a lot more work so it syncs correctly.
Apparently it is much cheaper to make games for the Wii. That's one of the big advantages Nintendo has claimed it has.

Regardless, Nintendo definitely took the right path this time around. I think the PS3 is essentially all that is wrong with the video game industry - big, expensive, graphic-intensive games that look good but aren't usually fun or innovative. I don't think I've really enjoyed a new console game in years; they are all just remakes of old stuff I'd already played, with better graphics. Nintendo is recognizing that innovation and fun gameplay is the way to go, rather than concentrating mostly on the "look" of a game.

I know some of the so-called hard-core gamers would disagree with me, but I think gaming should not be about simulating reality to the smallest pixel on your TV. (That's what reality is for!) And it definitely should not be about looking cool, which is what many modern games seem to focus on. It should be about fun. That's the statement a name like "Wii" is giving, I guess - a name that is decidedly not cool at all, but is fun to say.

[ May 17, 2006, 09:04 AM: Message edited by: Tresopax ]

Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I don't think I've really enjoyed a new console game in years
Tres, you should give Katamari Damacy or We Love Katamari a try if you have a PS2. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omega M.
Member # 7924

- posted      Profile for Omega M.           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by pH:

What the hell is a Virtual Boy?

quote:
Virtual Boy is the world's first and only 3-D game system. It was manufactured by Nintendo in 1995. Now, the system is "dead". You can get Virtual Boy at Wal*Mart or Target for $25, and games are available at EBX and Electronics Boutique for $3-$10. Virtual Boy is only two colors, red and black. This is because if it were color the batteries would die real fast and the system would be 3 times as expensive. Virtual Boy shouldn't be used by children under 7 years of age, due to the fact that it may impede or retard their eye's growth. Also, you should take a break and rest every 15-30 minutes. If you don't you may experience a headache. All Virtual Boy games have an auto pause feature to remind you to rest.
(From Austin Schlosser's 1998 FAQ. I assume that the games are nearly impossible to find in used-game stores now.)

As I recall, you had to put your eyes right up to the system as if it were a pair of binoculars, so you couldn't see anything but the 3D game. According to that FAQ, only 14 games for it came out in the U.S., and all but 3 of those were published by Nintendo itself.

I still have all the Nintendo Powers from that time. They built that system up so much before they released it, claiming it would be the third tier of Nintendo alongside the Super NES and Game Boy. It was the cover story the month it launched, and they even chose that issue to debut a new 3D-looking version of the magazine's title. Then every month after that there'd be only one or zero Virtual Boy games in the "new games" list, and the magazine soon proceeded as if the system had never existed.

Posts: 781 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omega M.
Member # 7924

- posted      Profile for Omega M.           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, and though I hope it does well, I don't see any reason to buy a Wii. I don't even have the cheaper DS, though I'll probably get one once the DS Lite comes out. With DS games, games for the Game Boy Advance (the only system I have---I have an SP), and used games for the Game Boy and/or Game Boy Color (playable on the Game Boy Advance) all available for much less than Wii games, I don't feel compelled to get a Wii.

Also, I find that it takes too much effort to sit down at any video game console (compared with that required to use a handheld); and I'm still afraid that waving the Wii's controller around will tire my arm out too fast. Maybe when I play one in a store I'll learn otherwise.

Posts: 781 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
This seems like a good place to say I've never had any videogame system in my 20 years of life. Once in a while I play tetris on my cell phone.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
human_2.0
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for human_2.0   Email human_2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
Bruce Schneier (major security analyst) said in his Crypto newsletter:

quote:
According to the specs of the new Nintendo Wii (its new game machine), "Wii can communicate with the Internet even when the power is turned off." Nintendo accentuates the positive: "This WiiConnect24 service delivers a new surprise or game update, even if users do not play with Wii," while ignoring the possibility that Nintendo can deactivate a game if it chooses to do so, or that someone else can deliver a different -- not so wanted -- surprise.

We all know that, but what's interesting here is that Nintendo is changing the meaning of the word "off." We are all conditioned to believe that "off" means off, and therefore safe. But in Nintendo's case, "off" really means something like "on standby." If users expect the Nintendo Wii to be truly off, they need to pull the power plug -- assuming there isn't a battery foiling that tactic. There seems to be no way to disconnect the Internet, as the Nintendo Wii is wireless only.

Maybe there is no way to turn the Nintendo Wii off.

There's a serious security problem here, made worse by a bad user interface. "Off" should mean off.

" target="_blank">http://wii.nintendo.com/hardware.html[/quote]

Just thought I'd mention it.

Posts: 1209 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.