FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Al Gore as President.

Author Topic: Al Gore as President.
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
A most excellent link, Ted.
[ROFL]

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Dear god, that was hysterical. [Smile]
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
Holy monkey!

Al Gore does have the ability to smile.

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celaeno
Member # 8562

- posted      Profile for Celaeno   Email Celaeno         Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to shake the hand of whomever wrote that.
Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. That made me laugh. Hysterical.
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tristan
Member # 1670

- posted      Profile for Tristan   Email Tristan         Edit/Delete Post 
Will the new and improved, green and funny Al Gore run for president again? I read this article from the BBC and wanted the Hatrackers' input. Some quotes from the article to get you interested:

quote:
After his campaign realised that Al was displaying an emotion deficit they decided to correct the balance with an on-stage, on-camera, on-message French kiss that lingered so long you could practically hear Hollywood screaming "Cut, cut, cut!"

His wife Tipper looked less like the adored First Lady-in-waiting and more like the unfortunate victim of an alien suction attack.

quote:
Compare the glutinous Mr Gore of seven years ago to the slick Al who melted the hearts of Hollywood at Sunday's Oscar ceremony.
Al Gore has certainly amassed a lot of goodwill over here in Europe during his promotional tour with An Inconvenient Truth. Has the perception of him improved also in the US? Would he stand a chance against Clinton and Obama if he decides to run? Would YOU like him to run? Inquiring minds want to know.
Posts: 896 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

He'd be a top three contender.

I'd like him to run, I'd vote for him over Obama and Hillary. He has the money, he has the support, he has die hard Democrats putting up "Draft Gore" websites. He's a household name, and maybe most importantly, I'd be willing to bet the 60% of America who dislikes Bush all wish that Gore was president.

Bush is the perfect campaign ad for Gore, it makes a lot of people say "Dammit!" when they think that Gore could have been president. And frankly, his image has done a total 180 in the last seven years. He was considered wooden and robotic in 2000. These days he's funny, engaging, considered smart, experienced and passionate (not just about Tipper [Wink] ).

But I think he's over the idea of being president. I wish he would run though.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. Can't see the video. Do you have to be logged in?
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tristan
Member # 1670

I couldn't see the video either, but notice that this is an old topic I resurrected in order not to have to display my name prominently on the topic page. It's possible the video has expired, or something.
Posts: 896 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, hey, look at that! [Big Grin] I think it must've.
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd vote for Gore over Hillary or Mr. Sparkle.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Mr. Sparkle.

Heh.

[Smile]

Tristan
Member # 1670

I wonder if you ever "get over" the idea of being president. I'd say that if Al Gore were offered a guaranteed win in the election, he'd run in a heartbeat. I would imagine it's the possibility of going through with all the hard work, stress and humiliation that a presidential campaign entails only to lose again that is the major deterrent for Al Gore not to run again. But who knows.
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

My question is, is it going to be bad-ass bearded Gore with gravitas, or the nebbish looking Gore without it? I think with the beard, he's unstoppable.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jh
Member # 7727

- posted      Profile for jh   Email jh         Edit/Delete Post 
I wish Al Gore would run again; he would win the nomination over Hillary Clinton, Barack Obama, and John Edwards. I also think he has a very good chance of winning the presidency because of the goodwill he has generated. Looking into the past, he was one of the first to call war in Iraq in a mistake even though he was ridiculed for it, he has more foreign policy experience, and he was already vice president as compared to Hillary, Obama, and Edwards who are/were senators.

However, I don't think Gore will run again. Too bad, I would enthusiastically vote for a Gore-Edwards/Obama ticket. He seems much happier being out of politics, fighting for a cause he truly believes in, and to that, I say good for him.

Posts: 155 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Gore should definitely run again. Its been over 150 years, we are due for another Henry Clay.

[ROFL]

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

He has to live to the age of like 500 to even approach Henry Clay.

God I miss AP History, the Henry Clay jokes alone made that class worthwhile.

Storm -

Everyone knows a man with a beard can't get elected to a federal office.

Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Wrong again, liberal media!

[Wink]

I take it you mean in the 21st century. Eh. I don't know, I've seen lots of polls that say that men with beards are more manly. I don't see that hurting someone's chances for the presidency.

Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe I'm just a Philistine, but -- is Henry Clay funny?
Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Storm,

Haha! The one exception [Smile] It's a joke I've seen in multiple history and polisci classes, but there's a large kernel of truth to it. Women especially view men with beards as untrustworthy. Prime example.

Henry Clay was around FOREVER. I couldn't believe he was still around by the time of the Compromise of 1850. The man never seemed to die.

ManlyMan
Member # 2167

- posted      Profile for ManlyMan   Email ManlyMan         Edit/Delete Post 
Clay ran for president 4 or 5 times and never won. Gore could do the same thing. He is too unbalanced to be president in my opinion.
Posts: 30 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

quote:

Women especially view men with beards as untrustworthy.

Really!?!
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Will, like ManlyMan stated Clay ran for president many times and never won for various reasons. It became a sort of stigma that he could never shake off. A stigma that never ceases to be funny in history classes.

On a side trivia note, JFK ranked Clay as the 5th best senator in American history.

edit: It is to be wondered if JFK would have ranked him 1st if he had only run 1 time [Big Grin]

See never stops being funny!

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

How about Bryan instead of Clay?
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

William Jennings? A lot more fire and brimstone than Henry Clay. I have a recording of his famous Cross of Gold speech from 1896. Fantastic orator.

Manly - Why would you say he's too unbalanced to be President? And he's only run once thus far, and he won. Good track record I'd say.

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. Gore and Obama would make an amazing ticket.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Agreed. I think they'd be a powerful force to be reckoned with. After Clinton lost to him in the primaries, she'd stump for him in liberal states, Bill Clinton would stump for him everywhere, Obama on the campaign trail stumping for him, and Howard Dean even, still very popular would be out there too.

I don't think it'd be a cakewalk, but of all the tickets I've heard bandied about, I think it has the best chance, and it's the one I'd be most excited to vote for.

Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
William Jennings? A lot more fire and brimstone than Henry Clay. I have a recording of his famous Cross of Gold speech from 1896. Fantastic orator.

I was thinking of Bryan's neverending runs at the presidency.

Also, now I have to do a search for that audio on the net. [Smile]

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Prefer a shortcut?

That site is amazing by the way, I have megabyte upon megabyte of speeches. I listen to them while I do chores all the time.

jlt
Member # 10088

- posted      Profile for jlt   Email jlt         Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome, thank you for posting that. [ROFL]
Posts: 130 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.