FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Poseidon

Author Topic: Poseidon
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone see this?

I saw it earlier tonight. I'm not going to lie, it was hilarious. It wasn't SUPPOSED to be hilarious, but my friends and I couldn't really stop laughing. Everything that was supposed to be tense and dramatic in this movie was so incredibly over the top that it came off funny.

I want to see the 20 minute version of this movie where everything goes right for them and they get off the boat without any problems. But as a whole this was basically " Daylight " on a boat. I know that Daylight itself was probably just a landlocked remake of the original Poseidon Adventure, but it's more recently in my memory.

It was the most melodramatic movie I have ever seen, and despite the fact that it's fictional anyway, it was just silly. It's like watching Final Destination, when you spend most of your time guessing how and when each person will die, as opposed to caring about them and what will happen to them.

It's not worth $8.50, but it was hilarious to my friends and I, and if you're in the mood for a good MST3K movie to make fun of, then go ahead and see it.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it even really possible for a wave to be that big?

This doesn't really bear on the quality of the movie (well, maybe) but a friend and I were discussing this the other day, and I'm curious. Where would a single giant wave in the middle of the ocean come from anyway

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

They explain that in the movie.

It's called a "Rogue wave," and they're everywhere! They're like the Axis of Evil of the ocean.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

Holy crap! How are ocean liners not getting rolled all the time? I'm surprised I've never heard of it.
quote:
They're like the Axis of Evil of the ocean.
[ROFL]
Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

From Wikipedia:

quote:
Freak waves, also known as rogue waves or monster waves, are relatively large and spontaneous ocean surface waves which can sink even large ships and ocean liners. In oceanography, they are more concisely defined as waves that are more than double the significant wave height (SWH), which is itself defined as the mean of the largest third of waves in a wave record.
And, interestingly enough:

quote:
The least common places of impact for rogue waves is the mid-atlantic, oceanographers have compiled all the data and came to the conclusion that the mid Atlantic and the waters off Bermuda are very tranquil compared to other ocean points.
Poseidon, of course, takes place in the North Atlantic.

*Spoilers, if you really care*

I love the part by the way where the guy on the bridge takes out his HUGE binoculars and looks ouat the ocean and sees the wave. I could just hear "Iceberg RIGHT AHEAD!" echoing all around me.

I also loved the part when they are trapped in the ballast tanks that are filling with water. While they are waiting for the tank to fill, so the pressure valves will release and save them all, I kept hearing David Bowie's "Under Pressure" playing in my mind.

Edit to add: I'd probably give the movie a 5/10. It could have been a lot worse. But I would've given it a 6/10 if Fergie had jumped on stage and started singing a la stringed quartet on the deck of the sinking Titanic. You know you're going to die anyway, and come on, it's NEW YEARS. Live a little. Heh.

[ May 18, 2006, 05:39 AM: Message edited by: Lyrhawn ]

Juxtapose
Member # 8837

Hm. Learn something new everyday. I was actually kind of hoping it was a wave caused by the earth stopping in it's rotation or something.

30m waves? Yowzers.

camus
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for camus   Email camus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I want to see the 20 minute version of this movie where everything goes right for them and they get off the boat without any problems.
How about a twenty minute version of the Titanic, er, I mean, Thumbtanic?
Posts: 1256 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
An ocean liner got hit by a rogue wave a few years back, if I remember. Broke a lot of windows and flooded rooms on one side, causing minor injuries and lots of damage to the boat. No rolling over, though.
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Numinor West
Member # 9375

- posted      Profile for Numinor West   Email Numinor West         Edit/Delete Post 
Ebert thinks this could've been a great movie if another wave had come along and flipped the ship back, forcing everyone to retrace their steps.

I agree. Such a great opportunity wasted!

Ebert on Poseidon

Posts: 90 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fryguy
Member # 9435

- posted      Profile for fryguy   Email fryguy         Edit/Delete Post 
Sadly enough, Wolfgang Peterson, directed Poseidon, who is the director for Enders Game. He also did Troy and Perfect Storm; the guy doesn’t seem to make good movies. I am not too hopeful that Enders Game will be any good...nuts.

Type the guys name in at IMDB

www.imdb.com

Posts: 1 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.