FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Grumble!

Author Topic: Grumble!
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate paying back student loans. 813 dollars is highway robbery! They gave me that money fair and square, they've no right to demand it back!

[Grumble]

Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
heh, I figured someone had included you in their prayers again or something. [Wink]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Hah. Well, come to think of it, one advantage of having a loan is that you're guaranteed someone will be sad if you die. Get even, die in debt!
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Krankykat
Member # 2410

- posted      Profile for Krankykat           Edit/Delete Post 
Umm... they "gave" you a loan? You might have to really worry when the loan police drag you to your alma mater and grind your knee caps on the pavement in front of the administration building.
Posts: 1221 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I know how that goes... I too dislike student loans. Especially the way they hang over my head when I have to pay rent and other bills.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

And, to make matters worse, I'm paid in dollars, which have been dropping precipitously against the kroner that the loan is in. Double grumble.

[Grumble] [Grumble]

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
kroners? i thought you lived in the states why did you withdraw a loan in norweigian currency?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
KoM:

What's the interest rate?

Do they have deferment programs where you come from?

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

Interest rate is 3%, ish. I don't understand what you mean about deferment. And I took the loan when I was studying in Norway.
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
In the US, there are ways to defer repayment under certain conditions. I don't know them all, but I think if you go on to grad school or advanced training in some fields, then the loan doesn't have to be repaid on schedule.

Also, 3% is sort of typical -- it's very very low. About the cheapest money one can borrow is in student loans. It makes it tough to refinance them to a "lower" interest rate, for example, if your payments are too high.

But, yes $813 a month is extremely high for someone fresh out of school, first full-time professional work and all.

It does seem excessive.

How bad has the dollar devaluation against the kroner gotten since the time period when you took out the loans?

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.