FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » another nice myth . . . (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: another nice myth . . .
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Essentially, I was saying that education in this country is becoming less comprehensive because schools are too focused on material that will be tested.
The opposite is also true. Mandated test material is often a wish list of topics (especially math) that can't be covered in 180 days. The teachers whiz through the material in order to "cover" it, but don't spend enough time going over the basics for long enough for kids to actually comprehend them.

I'm not trying to disprove the statement above, just pointing out that teachers don't have the flexibility to teach to the students needs, because they're busy trying to teach to the government's "wants."

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with everything you said, Glenn. The government is giving a (very long) list of what students need to know - the whole "mile wide and an inch deep" idea. This, of course, pushes out the possibility of teaching points of interest that aren't on that list.
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samuel Bush
Member # 460

- posted      Profile for Samuel Bush           Edit/Delete Post 
Here is an idea. Along about fourth or fifth grade ( I use this period because that is about the age when I and, years later, my own kids could read at an adult level. Indeed, their reading skill was better than that of some of their teachers.)

So about then, toss the curriculum and the standardized tests out the window and just surround the students with lots and lots of books, newspapers, and internet access. Half the day they will do nothing but read and the other half of the day they will discuss what they have read. (Oh yeah, get rid or all school sports.)

Ok, maybe it’s not a great idea, but still . . .
[Dont Know]

Posts: 631 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
If you don't consider it a great idea, why spread it?

[Razz]

The reason we don't do this is because the kids would spend all day reading fanfiction. And that will damage their brains.

[Razz]

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
Samuel Bush, unfortunately there are many students who are still trying to master the basics of reading even in middle school. You and your kids are/were ahead of a lot of folks.
Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The reason we don't do this is because the kids would spend all day reading fanfiction.
Oh, you hopeless optimist. [Wink]
Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.