FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Garage Door Slams

Author Topic: The Garage Door Slams
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
Today, I felt Fate shutting down some of my potential future choices. It was a choice I'd made long ago, but the actions springing from my choice triggered a feeling of certain roads now being closed off from me.

Today, I informed the Little Mother's school that we will be home schooling. I'm excited about having my girl home with me. I'm scared that I've burned bridges with her school. Especially since I'd like to work there in the future (when? I don't know. I don't know whether LM will return to public school for middle school, high school, or college. As she and I say, we'll cross those bridges when we come to them.).

Have you ever made a decision, and then taken action that you knew would change the course your life took forever after. I don't regret my choice or actions, but I do feel kinda, well, funny.

Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I've had those moments . . . like when I left a secure(ish) job with good benefits to branch out on my own in a totally new life. Exhilarating but scary and weird.

Good luck with homeschooling. How old is LM?

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Pregnancy test postitive = big garage door.

Good luck with the homeschooling. You guys will have fun with it, I'm sure.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Darn, I was hoping you were having mechanical problems with your garage door. Well, hoping in the sense that I like to help solve those kinds of problems.

Then it turns out to be a thread about homeschooling. [Grumble]

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
LM is 7, gifted, and ready for much more than her school can provide. We WILL have fun with it, but it's a different path than most folks around here have chosen. Then again, I've never had too much trouble marching to the beat of a different drummer.

Primal Curve, I'll keep you in mind for those pesky mechanical problems in the future...

Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
I see one coming soon. I've got to decide where my 13 year old is going to go to school next year. I don't like any of the choices. And no matter which one I choose, my son isn't going to like it because it's not the school he's in right now.

The hardest part of this is that I can't tell the future. I want to make this his last school move (this will be his 7th school...and he's entering 7th grade) so the pressure is on. Do I choose the well funded, slightly larger very good reputation middle school where some of his church friends go that is farthest away of all the choices or do I choose the less-well-funded, small middle school with an equally good reputation where he knows no one that is the closest of the choices? There are a lot of plusses to the farther school, cheif among them that it is just openning this fall for the first time, so *all* the students will be new. And he does have a couple of friends that go there. But it is farther away.

I'm torn. *sigh* Have to make a decision soon, though.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
How far away is far away?
Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
Staring one in the face right now, JG. I have a piece of paper with my soon-to-be-ex-wife's signature on it sitting on my dresser. All I have to do is file it with the local court and my marriage is done. The choice was made 2 years ago. It's been more than a year since I gave up on any other course. I'm still gathering the courage to actually do it. Despite the fact that it won't change my present life one iota, it is an absolutely concrete and binding action which firmly closes the book on my past and it seems very daunting all of a sudden.
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Big changes are never easy, now matter how overall positive. It will be fun.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Katarain, the "close" school is about 7 miles away. The far away schol is 13 miles.

I went to get the paperwork to get released from our 'home' school district and will go have it signed by the district official tomorrow. Our home school district has historically had significant problems, but with a change in administration is on the way up to solving some of those issues. However, it has always been important to me that my son go to a relatively small school, especially as he gets into the upper grades. He's kind of a wall flower and I really don't want him to get lost in the crowd. The home school district is the largest of the three in this immediate area and very, very overcrowded.

The "close" school district is pretty small (2000 students in the entire school district) and they say they're actively seeking out of district students as their numbers are slowly dwindling. (The area they service is quickly becoming increasingly commercial and is unlikely to grow residentially any time soon.) I know one of the teachers at the HS, and several teachers that sub at the middle school. Plus I know quite a few parents who've sent their kids through this school district. They all speak very highly of it.

The 'farther' school is a little larger and is opening a second middle school this fall. The new principal won last year's principal of the year award for the state. I don't know what our chances are for getting in, but my son does have friends that will go to that school and I am friends with their families. While I don't know any of the teachers there, I've heard nothing but excellent things about the district. I know some teachers who've subbed there and they say they like the schools and the students. It is a residentially growing area and I like how the city has managed that growth. We go to church in that area, so to some degree, though it's very inconvenient to spend 40 minutes round trip taking him to and from school, it might make a lot of sense.

I think I'm going to apply to both districts, see what happens and then make the decision after Christian has had a chance to see both schools and weigh in with his opinion.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kristen
Member # 9200

- posted      Profile for Kristen   Email Kristen         Edit/Delete Post 
Jenny: Good luck! From what I remember about LM she seemed very much intelligent and independent--exactly the student who would benefit from home schooling. Public schools teach to the mean and they should understand why a gifted student might not wish to follow that path.

Speaking of garage doors, I just mailed in my acceptence to a job on Friday, which has been daunting as it involved the rejection of another offer and the general solidifaction of my path. Up until now, I could have always tossed my Life Plan to the wind and gotten a job in advertising or business with a 401k and paid vacations and lived a financially comfortable life. I suppose I could do that eventually, but it would be far more difficult. And the job is in another country, so ...yes I definitely understand how overwhelming 'garage door' decisions can be. However, I'm happy with it and happy that I'm not doing as many of my friends are doing and going for security over passion.

Posts: 484 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lissande
Member # 350

- posted      Profile for Lissande   Email Lissande         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool, what country?
Posts: 2762 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

*lifting a glass to all those Garage Door decision makers*
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Jenny, it seems like you made the right decision for Little Mother, and for the rest of your family. If the school system has a problem with this, they're weirder than you [Wink]
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
*clink*

enjoy the new world, Jenny [Smile]

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.