FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Matter of taste (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Matter of taste
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If you have a second to spare, can I get opinions on...

Black licorice?

Horseradish?

Cilantro?

Bell peppers?

Don't care fo black licorice, but could eat it if I had to

Like horseradish (if not overdone)

Not sure what cilantro tastes like

I LOVE bell peppers. On everything.

I'm not a picky eater at all, and eat almost anything. The only flavor/taste that I really cannot stand, for some reason, is raspberry. Although I've never had a fresh raspberry fruit, I can't stand even the smell of raspberry -flavored anything -- candy, soda, koolaid, etc. etc. I can smell raspberry a long ways away and I just can't stomach it.

FG

[ May 24, 2006, 04:16 PM: Message edited by: Farmgirl ]

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
posted by dkw:
I initially read that as a wandering robin, which made perfect sense until you got to the part about skill with the blade.

That does paint an entertaining picture. [Big Grin]

"Do not approach robin-san. His temper is short, and his blade quicker than the beat of his wings."
[/lip-movement]

quote:
I've never met an olive I didn't like. As a kid I loved canned black olives, in great part because I enjoyed sticking them on the ends of my fingers, pretending to be an alien for a while, and then plucking them off with my lips one by one. As an adult I find the flavor of canned black olives to be less intersting than most other varieties, but I'll still eat them.
If I didn't know any better, I could have thought I'd written this. It amazes me when people tell me they don't like olives.
Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:
Maui babe, do you generally dislike all foods with high amounts of beta carotene?

Maybe, I'm not sure. I like most fruits with beta carotene - apricots, mangoes, papayas, canteloupe. But if they're overripe, I have the same reaction as I do to sweet potatoes or pumpkin. Green vegetables that are purported to be high in bc are kale, collard greens, spinach, leaf lettuce and broccoli. I don't recall ever having kale or collard greens, but the others are fine. And as I said before, I prefer red/orange bell peppers over green ones. (But ALWAYS green chile over red!)

I suppose I'm just a freak. [Big Grin]

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

quote:

I've never met an olive I didn't like. As a kid I loved canned black olives, in great part because I enjoyed sticking them on the ends of my fingers, pretending to be an alien for a while, and then plucking them off with my lips one by one. As an adult I find the flavor of canned black olives to be less intersting than most other varieties, but I'll still eat them.

I've always liked olives as well - as long as they're brined. When I was a girl, growing up in Northern California, we used to get fresh olives from many different sources. Usually, my mother would see a tree growing in someone's yard and make me go up to the door and ask if we could take some. I HATED that.

She would put the fresh olives in a gallon jar with some cloves of garlic and pieces of onion, then pour olive oil over them. She'd eat them with bread, or sometimes in a sandwich. I never liked the olives prepared that way. They were far too bitter for my taste. I might feel differently now, but I'm not gonna start knocking on people's doors asking to take their olives any time soon.

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not extraordinarily fond of basil (I like dried better than fresh), and I abhor pine nuts (they taste like resin.) So pesto is not my thing.

I'm not so big on olives. I only like the black kind in a can. Green, kalamata, or anything exotic, I hate. I don't even like a strong taste of olive oil.

Ooh, remembered another one I don't like: smoked foods. Really, almost anything smoked makes me gag. My mother-in-law always "forgets" (I think it may be a passive-agressive thing) that I can't stand barbeque and serves it for family get-togethers. For our going away dinner when we moved, she was all proud of herself for remembering no barbeque; she served us brisket marinated in liquid smoke instead.

(I took a tiny piece, cut it up, smothered it in ketchup, and ate it without chewing. I didn't want to make a scene.)

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, and then there's liver. My mom and one of my sisters love liver and onions, liverwurst, and all other things liver. I can't stand liver. Neither can my other sister.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I'm not extraordinarily fond of basil (I like dried better than fresh), and I abhor pine nuts (they taste like resin.) So pesto is not my thing.

I'm not so big on olives. I only like the black kind in a can. Green, kalamata, or anything exotic, I hate. I don't even like a strong taste of olive oil.

Ooh, remembered another one I don't like: smoked foods. Really, almost anything smoked makes me gag. My mother-in-law always "forgets" (I think it may be a passive-agressive thing) that I can't stand barbeque and serves it for family get-togethers. For our going away dinner when we moved, she was all proud of herself for remembering no barbeque; she served us brisket marinated in liquid smoke instead.

(I took a tiny piece, cut it up, smothered it in ketchup, and ate it without chewing. I didn't want to make a scene.)

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Oh, and then there's liver. My mom and one of my sisters love liver and onions, liverwurst, and all other things liver. I can't stand liver. Neither can my other sister.
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And as I said before, I prefer red/orange bell peppers over green ones. (But ALWAYS green chile over red!)

They really are all the same veggi. What most of us are calling a bell pepper (chili de campana, that n needs to be an enye but I don't have the right button) is probably a Yolo Wonder. The other chiles have more or less of the capsicum that makes them hot. That and the shape are the discriminators. The all come from Mexico at some point.
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

I like bbq okay, but I don't like smoked cheese. My ex-husband and his family LOVED that stuff. Ugh. But I won't get started on what unspeakable things I've seen people do to food. [Big Grin]
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Black licorice? My very favorite candy. Love it.

Horseradish? Can take it or leave it, but it is a must to go with gefilte fish.

Cilantro? Delicious.

Bell peppers? I especially like the red ones, and eat them raw for lunch or snacks. The green ones aren't as nice.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Black Licorice: in small doses

Horseradish: in small doses

Cilantro: Demon Weed

Bell Peppers: In EVERYTHING. If they made Bell Pepper Ice Cream... well, ok I wouldn't eat that.

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
How do you guys feel about onions?

I like onion powder, but not the actual onion. And if, say, food had onions on it, and then the onions are removed, the onion flavor left behind still makes me kind of nauseous.

But I like onion rings.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swampjedi
Member # 7374

- posted      Profile for Swampjedi   Email Swampjedi         Edit/Delete Post 
Black licorice? ACK!

Horseradish? Yes!

Cilantro? Yeah, and more to eat plain.
Bell peppers? ""
Onions? ""

Posts: 1069 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I like it all. [Big Grin]

Except natto, which I have never tried.

Actually, I don't like almond flavoured things either (marzipan = YUCK!)

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sharpie
Member # 482

- posted      Profile for Sharpie   Email Sharpie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Sharpie, is it the flavor or texture of coconut that you dislike? I have a coworker who despises the texture, but likes the flavor well enough. He's okay with coconut milk-based products, but hates anything that contains the meat.

No, no. I hate it in all forms. I am suspicious of anything that looks like it could harbor coconut: cakes with "hairy" looking frosting, those ambrosia-like jello salads, etc. I track down the makers and ask them suspiciously if there is any coconut rather than risk taking a bite [Smile] .
Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not a fan of the coconut, either. It is always a nasty surprise when I bite into what looks to be a perfectly innocent chocolate, only to find that it is harboring a coconut filling.

And it is beyond my understanding why anyone would ruin a perfectly good cookie recipe by spiking the dough with coconut.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
Black licorice? take it or leave it. I would eat if I wanted something sweet and it was the only thing available.

Horseradish? not sure if I've ever tried it

Cilantro? good in salsa

Bell peppers? no - I usually try to pick them out.

-------------------
never heard of natto before; coconut is good (love Mounds candy bars) but I don't care for German chocolate cake (the cake would probably be okay without the frosting); don't care for squash, except for zucchini sliced thin, floured and fried; liver (no onions) is good floured and fried, then eaten with plenty of ketchup; don't like marzipan, like green olives but not black; asparagus and canteloupe, yes; beets, no; cheese for the most part if it's melted, with the exception of feta cheese (Subway used to have a Mediterrean chicken sandwich that I loved - it had feta cheese) and queso fresco in enchiladas (it doesn't really melt); onions - for the most part no, but the cheese enchiladas really need them, so I put up with them in that case. I've got other likes and dislikes, of course, but that's enough for now.

Here's a question for you all - do you like the foods you grew up with? I ask this because I cook things that I grew up with that my mom cooked (well, some of them). My kids don't like many of them. In fact, they don't even like things they liked earlier in their lives.

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
I put onions in everything too. They are the perfect companion to Bell Peppers (along with Garlic).

Coconut is hit or miss with me

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
I love onions, and coconut.

As to the foods-you-grew-up-with-question... My mom's favorite foods are the exact opposite of mine, and she considers me a picky eater because I don't care for anything she makes. This is, of course, because she makes what she likes and its always the same few things.

Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

My mother wasn't the best cook, although she did have some things she could do well.

For example, I LOVED her potato salad. But I grew up hating cornbread. It wasn't until I was in my late 30's that I tried someone else's cornbread (mostly just to be polite) and realized it didn't suck. So now I make cornbread 2 or 3 times a month. But I don't use my mother's recipe, that's for sure.

My sister has been more of a traditionalist, especially during the holidays, always making sure to make the stuffing and the gravy exactly as our mother did. I'm comfortable with the fact that I'm a better cook than my mother was, so I make things my own way without any guilt.

----------

To be fair, I was a SAHM for nearly 20 years and had plenty of time and opportunity to practice and learn to cook. My mother was a single working mother since I was 6 years old, so it's not really a fair comparision. She did a fine job with the resources and the time that she had.

CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved my grandmother's gravy (my dad's mom) but my mom's gravy tastes weak to me, so I usually just don't have gravy with my potatoes. I get along fine with just butter and salt.

What about regional foods? As an example, I love Twin Bing candy bars. They have a cherry-flavored center, with chocolate on the outside. In the chocolate are crunched-up peanuts. The cherry inside I wouldn't call a nougat, because to me that implies a harder center, more like caramel consistency. Palmer Candy - home of the Twin Bing. Twin Bings are made in Sioux City, Iowa, so I would call them regional.

Yesterday I saw a brand of sandwich spreads I had never seen before. They were in plastic bottles with flip tops, and horseradish was one flavor. There was some kind of hot mustard, maybe with jalapeno or something. I can't remember the brand, and I can't check until Tuesday because that store is closed until then, But it got me thinking about what kinds of foods are specific to an area and do you like them or not? (Vegemite - Australia is an example.)

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
I love all of them except black licorice. Strangely, the anise taste I love. I could chew on an anise stem all day. The actual black licorice tastes like tar to me.
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.