FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hatrack summer travel plans (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Hatrack summer travel plans
Baron Samedi
Member # 9175

- posted      Profile for Baron Samedi           Edit/Delete Post 
Lebanon as in Beirut or Pennsylvania? If the former... [Eek!]
Posts: 563 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
Just by way of letting you guys know, Ill be off Hatrack for the summer. Kids are out of school, so it's happy fun time! [Smile]
Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
OH! One more thing!

My boyfriend and I are going to try to get down to Florida sometime this summer for rock climbing (in a gym), amusement parks, museums, and the like. This will probably include Orlando.

....not that I'm hinting anything. [Wink]

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
And one thing more for me too....I'm either going to that certain wedding in early August or to my 20 year high school reunion which happens to be the same weekend. I'm trying to decide if the deciding factor is if I happen to lose the 25lbs I need to lose for the reunion. [Big Grin] Utah is much nicer than Anchorage. I suspect I'm going to the wedding and I'm very tempted to drive.
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lynx
Member # 8760

- posted      Profile for Lynx   Email Lynx         Edit/Delete Post 
I might be making a road trip sometime this summer down to Albuquerque to see one of my best friends but I have no firm plans yet. [Big Grin]
Posts: 37 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Baron Samedi
Member # 9175

I've got a question for more seasoned travellers than I.

When you're travelling to highly westernized first-world countries like Germany and England, is there any benefit to traveller's checques over an ATM card? Last time I went to England I got traveller's checques, and they were such a pain to cash I wondered why I'd bothered.

Posts: 563 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
I always use my Visa ShareCheck Card. I hate carrying around traveller's checques.

I plan on buying a house and going to see my parents for a week. Then I am flying my youngest sister to Connecticut to stay at my place for a couple weeks so she can keep my fiance company while I am at work (I own the only vehicle and have license).

Almost forgot, going to the race on Father's Day. Taking dad with me.

Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
The general sentiments on a travel forum I frequent are that travelers' checks are outdated, huge pains in the neck, and to be avoided whenever possible, plus they're usually not worth the hassle because of the fees it costs to cash them.

I've never used travelers' checks in a foreign country (but my mom made me bring them on a high school trip to Virginia Beach). I mainly relied on my debit card and also had a credit card in case something happened to my debit card. For Europe, as long as your debit card has the VISA/Mastercard symbol on it and a 4-digit PIN (if yours isn't, make sure you get that changed before you leave), you shouldn't have any problem using it at ATMs.

Check with your bank and credit card companies to see what their policies and fees are on foreign currency conversions for purchases - a few years ago it was cheaper to just use the cards in stores for direct purchases, but I think now you might get better currency rates if you take out cash at an ATM just once a day or so. I think what's happened is the banks/CC companies have started charging higher per transaction fees for currency conversion, so if you take out cash in larger amounts (i.e. in fewer transactions), you'll end up paying fewer fees. Mind, I haven't done the number-crunching on this idea myself; this is just what I've heard from other travelers.

Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luet13
Member # 9274

- posted      Profile for Luet13   Email Luet13         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm driving to Nashville on the weekend preceeding July 4. A bunch of my friends and I are going to party in the Country Music Capitol! Hahahaha, and none of us are particularly fond of 'country.' However, I imagine there's some sort of Bluegrass going on, and that will be awesome. [Smile]
Posts: 511 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Baron Samedi
Member # 9175

Lebanon, eh? Yikes! I was scared just going to Turkey. You are my new hero. Be sure to take in a Rabih Abou-Khalil concert while you're there. And take a picture of the cedars for us.

I'm now about 18 hours from Frankfurt, assuming all goes well. Our first plane is delayed, leaving us about half an hour to catch our connecting flight to Manchester. Fortunately, I brought my laptop. According to American Airlines' website, in that half hour we have to go clear from gate H13 to gate H12. Good thing I'm in shape.

Anyway, just thought I'd give a holla, since I have my laptop out and am in an airport with free wi-fi. Catch you suckas later.

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to the Twin Cities for the (long) weekend of the Fourth, and to D.C. for August 20-21. [Big Grin]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amira tharani
Member # 182

- posted      Profile for amira tharani   Email amira tharani         Edit/Delete Post 
My summer is looking incredibly busy, though there isn't much travel involved.

For the first three weeks, I'm going to be on a residential course organised by the Ismaili Community to train lay preachers. There are 70-odd people coming to London for the course, from a whole stack of different countries, so it should be cool. Not much travel for me, though - hotel is in West London about 25 minutes' drive from home!

Then I have a week off to spend with my mum, plan my wedding and organise moving myself from North London to South London. After that I'm going to Eskdale in the Lake District with Rob and his family for a week, then I'm home for another week before school starts again!

Posts: 1550 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.