FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » 06/06/06 (the federal marriage amendment) (Page 9)

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: 06/06/06 (the federal marriage amendment)
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
California. I'm sure my senators voted against it. What would depress me would be seeing the names of people I agree with on so many other things voting in favor of this thing(*).

Pix

(*) Originally I wrote "Abomination" but I don't want to add another 10 pages to this thread to explain why I called it that when you can prolly figure it out from what I wrote already.

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Squick: [Laugh]
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
Not a full voting list, but enough info to figure out how your senators voted (assuming you know which party they are):

quote:
Seven Republicans, many from New England, voted to kill the amendment. They were Sens. Lincoln Chafee of Rhode Island, Susan Collins of Maine, Judd Gregg of New Hampshire, John McCain of Arizona, Olympia Snowe of Maine, Arlen Specter of Pennsylvania and John Sununu of New Hampshire.

Two Democrats voted for the amendment: Ben Nelson of Nebraska and Robert Byrd of West Virginia.

Three senators did not vote: Democrats Christopher Dodd of Connecticut and John Rockefeller of West Virginia, and Republican Chuck Hagel of Nebraska.

--Enigmatic
Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

Oh wow, just when I thought I couldn't hate Klansman Robert Byrd any more than I already did.
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Enigmatic. The Senate web site says it "refreshes" every 20 minutes. Ha.

BQT, not sure what you mean.

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

- posted      Profile for BaoQingTian   Email BaoQingTian         Edit/Delete Post 
Never mind, a poor attempt at humor.

If I have to try to explain Illinois historical tie of crime to politics, it just isn't funny. Sorry.

[ June 07, 2006, 11:45 AM: Message edited by: BaoQingTian ]

Posts: 1412 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Bridges:
Neither this Constitution, nor the constitution of any State, shall be construed to require that marriage or the legal incidents thereof be conferred upon any union other than the union of a man and a woman.

So, does this mean that recognition of civil unions, which are unions seeking the same legal incidents, would be blocked? If so, there are suddenly lots more reasons to stop this amendment. This is not saying that homosexual people cannot marry but you can pursue other avenues that don't piss people off. This is saying that homosexual people have no recourse whatsoever to any socially recognized relationship together.

I'm of the opinion that gay marriage should be completely dumped as a goal. Not because it's not a worthy one, but because the word "marriage" sets off too many automatic reactions. Instead, I think they should shoot for civil unions everywhere and then make civil unions stronger, better, and more lasting than marriages. Wouldn't it be a kick if divorce rates stayed 50% but the dissolution of civil unions became a rare thing?

Ultimately all unions would become civil unions, with people interested going to their church to make it a marriage.

Until the federal government treats civil unions and marriages equally, they aren't equal. Until Havah and I can file jointly, civil unions are a joke.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

BQT: I thought it was funny.

Whenever there is no reaction to a post I make that is hysterically funny (to me anyway) I like to assume there's someone who laughed but didn't know how to respond. =)

Pix

Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Seven Republicans, many from New England, voted to kill the amendment. They were Sens. Lincoln Chafee of Rhode Island, Susan Collins of Maine, Judd Gregg of New Hampshire, John McCain of Arizona, Olympia Snowe of Maine, Arlen Specter of Pennsylvania and John Sununu of New Hampshire.
I'm quite a ways into the "liberal" end of the spectrum, but have always liked and respected John McCain. I'm really glad he voted how he did, or I may not have been able to hold that position any longer.

I wonder how it will affect his future with his party, however. Not that the GOP would ever have let him be their candidate anyway.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

Sorry, BQT, I didn't go back far enough in history to get it. I thought you were refering to Senators Durbin and Obama specifically.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

- posted      Profile for BaoQingTian   Email BaoQingTian         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Pix. Lots of time though I think my funny can hurt other people's feelings. I don't intend it that way, but I'll read it later and realize it could be taken another way. I hope it wasn't taken as me suggesting that her current Senators are corrupt. If so, I apologize Kate.

Edit: Ahah...suspicions confirmed. Sorry about that.

Posts: 1412 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

No apology necessary, BQT. I'm just a bit slow today.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Xavier -

Exactly. It'd be cool if he got the nomination, but he never will. If he had voted Yes on the measure it would have really helped him. He needs to do some serious pandering to the far right of the party, and he's flatly refusing (for the most part) to do it.

It raises the level of respect for him through the roof in my opinion, but makes his electability as a Republican plummet to the basement.

This is the type of issue that Rick Santorum and Bill Frist are reveling in. They don't care that they lost. They just care that they got to vote for it, and everyone that didn't is a potential target when they start to campaign. And they also know they have a nice card to play against McCain in the primaries.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
One of the headlines from Fark.com was more accurate than the legitimate ones I've seen:

"Senate blocks gay marriage ban amendment. Gays, Democrats, and Republicans all claim victory"

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Bridges:
One of the headlines from Fark.com was more accurate than the legitimate ones I've seen:

"Senate blocks gay marriage ban amendment. Gays, Democrats, and Republicans all claim victory"

LMAO!!!
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
Quotes from Senators:

"We're making progress, and we're not going to stop until marriage between a man and a woman is protected," said Sen. Sam Brownback, R-Kansas.

Thats right people, not only do gays want to marry, but they want to end straight marriages.

"We have 45 states that have defined marriage as the union of a man and a woman," Brownback said. "Since the last time we voted in the Senate, we've seen a total of 14 states take this issue up on the ballot -- on the ballot -- and you've got another seven set for this fall."

The other 5 states are obviously just not American.

"We were hoping to get over 50 percent, but that didn't happen today," said Sen. David Vitter, R-La., one of the amendment's supporters. "Eventually, Congress is going to have to catch up to the wisdom of the American people or the American people will change Congress for the better."

Wisdom of the American people? The same American people that once supported slavery, segregation, and not allowing women to vote?

Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Xavier:
quote:

Additional info from the Post:

quote:
Two Republicans changed their votes from yes in 2004 to no this time: Sen. Judd Gregg of New Hampshire and Sen. Arlen Specter of Pennsylvania.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Stephan:
Wisdom of the American people? The same American people that once supported slavery, segregation, and not allowing women to vote?

I'm pretty sure it would mostly have to be different people. I doubt there are many people who supported those things still around [Wink]
Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure some of the people who supported segregation are still around. Desegregation is fairly recent.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

One of them, Robert Byrd, is still in the senate voting against gay marriage.

He says his greatest regret is voting against the 1964 civil rights act... Well he had a chance to make up for it, at least in part, and instead shook the devil's hand(*) one more time.

Pix

(*) "Can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding" -- Your Racist Friend by They Might Be Giants

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.