FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » X-Men Movie & Rogue (Slight Spoilers)

Author Topic: X-Men Movie & Rogue (Slight Spoilers)
Chaz_King
Member # 3184

- posted      Profile for Chaz_King   Email Chaz_King         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, through each movie I keep wanting them to turn rogue into the super rogue from the comics that is nearly indestructable and super strong. This hasn't happened..... yet.

SPOILER

Since Rogue took the cure (and I believe she did since she was holding iceman's hand at the end), I am wondering if in the next movie she doesn't accidentally steal the super powers permanently from another character like she did in the TV series (never followed the comic book much but I assume they were pretty close), only instead of doing it naively under the pressure from mystique she will end up doing it accidentally not knowing that her powers are going to come back, and she will accidently put someone in a coma.

This is assuming of course that they haven't ruled out completely the idea of her being a super strong/invulnerable character.

What do you guys thnk?

Posts: 232 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
You could put this in the X-Men 3 thread.

Anyways, I'd rather her stay powerless and just forget about her. She kind of annoyed me in the third movie.

Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TrapperKeeper
Member # 7680

- posted      Profile for TrapperKeeper   Email TrapperKeeper         Edit/Delete Post 
I think she was one of the few who had a power that I could see someone volunteering for a cure. I was rather disappointed in how Storm told her that there was nothing wrong with her.

I know the whole moral of accepting who you are and what not, but the girl couldn't touch anyone.

Posts: 375 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
If there were suddenly a "cure" for being gay, there would be some people who would take it in order to lead a normal life in a society that isn't fully prepared to accept them as equal people, and there would be those who said "don't take it, don't change who you are; homosexuality isn't a disease that needs to be cured."
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Sure, but homosexuality is a comparatively monolithic thing compared to the mutations of the X-Men universe. If I had, say, the power to teleport myself at will, I wouldn't the power to go away. If my power were to to involuntarily kill everyone I touched, I'd be much more interested in a cure.

Ever read George R. R. Martin's Wildcard series* (Martin writes some of the stories, but mostly he functions as an editor, weaving the other author's stories set in the shared universe into a coherent whole)? In it a "wildcard virus" is released (by not particularly friendly aliens who are biologically nearly identical to us). It kills most people that it infects, but a tiny minority of those infected survive, now possessed of mutant-like abilities. The vast majority of the mutations are unfortunate, and hinder the survivor's ability to function in everyday life--people growing elephant-like trunks, or exuding snot-like slime from every pore, stinking horribly, or whathave you. In the parlance of the books, these people are jokers. Some people, who have mutations that don't hinder their everyday lives but don't especially help anything either, are referred to as duces. A tiny minority of the survivors have mutations that grant them what we'd think of as superpowers; they're referred to as aces. Rogue, to me, seems more like a joker than an ace as she's presented in the movies.

*It's a bit silly, but also a lot of fun if you like superhero-themed stuff. The writing ranges from adequate to quite good. Some of the authors explore sexual themes that would be inapproprate for younger readers, so if that kind of thing squicks you out, consider yourself forewarned.

[ May 30, 2006, 03:31 PM: Message edited by: Noemon ]

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
In the comiocs too, until she drains some powers for herself permenatly. [Big Grin]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
If I'd written the movie, after Storm said "There's nothing wrong with you that needs to be cured" Rogue would have taken her glove off and given Storm a good dose of "nothing wrong with you."
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

quote:
Sure, but homosexuality is a comparatively monolithic thing compared to the mutations of the X-Men universe. If I had, say, the power to teleport myself at will, I wouldn't the power to go away. If my power were to to involuntarily kill everyone I touched, I'd be much more interested in a cure.
That depends on a lot of things; the only difference is that the mutant power is convenient or inconvenient in and of itself, where homosexuality can be good or painful depending on environment.

Compare being a gay person in a liberal, mixed-sexuality community to being gay in an intolerant religious community populated by WBC members.

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Sure, I agree; I'd much rather be gay in the former than the latter community, and the two experiences would be pretty different. They'd still be more similar than, say, oozing snot from every pore and being able to control the weather.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

quote:
They'd still be more similar than, say, oozing snot from every pore and being able to control the weather.
It's an imperfect analogy; I used it to highlight that Storm's comment isn't unfounded, if insensitive.
Noemon
Member # 1115

I just wrote a fairly lengthy post about negative mutations, but as I was finishing it I realized that I'm not entirely sure what we're arguing about. So...what are we arguing about? Or are we even arguing?
erosomniac
Member # 6834

quote:
I just wrote a fairly lengthy post about negative mutations, but as I was finishing it I realized that I'm not entirely sure what we're arguing about. So...what are we arguing about? Or are we even arguing?
We aren't - your disagreement with my analogy is one of degree, not direction. [Smile]
Noemon
Member # 1115

[Smile] Ah, okay then.
Chaz_King
Member # 3184

Talk about hijacking a thread!

Cure or no cure I want to see rogue flying around throwing cars at people damnit [Big Grin] !

Posts: 232 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If I'd written the movie, after Storm said "There's nothing wrong with you that needs to be cured" Rogue would have taken her glove off and given Storm a good dose of "nothing wrong with you."
That's exactly what I wanted to happen as well! [Smile]
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Considering that control is such a big virtue at the Xavier Institute (and rightly so) it seemed unlikely to me that Rogue would do something like that. I won't say I didn't hope for it a little though.

But then, assaulting your teachers is kind of a bad thing. Now I just wish she had smiled prettily and said something like, "Oh good! There's nothing wrong with me! How 'bout a hug?"

As for flying, super-strong Rogue, yeah I wanted to see that too. But to really deal with the issues involved in a satisfying way wouldn't really have been feasible with everything else they were covering. I'd wanted to see Gambit too, but I'd rather wait for a new movie then have them stuff him into an already loaded cast. They were already in danger of treading into Mortal Kombat II territory. Almost every character in the trilogy could have had their own movie devoted to them.

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chaz_King
Member # 3184

Juxtapose: I definately agree, I am just hoping they use the cure as a lead in for the next movie and she starts to get some of those powers because as I said before....

I want to see rogue flying around throwing cars at people damnit! [Big Grin]

Juxtapose
Member # 8837

Didn't get your fix of cars being tossed around by Magneto and Pyro?

Some people just won't be satisfied till everyone's hurled an automobile.

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be satisfied when I can hurl automobiles. And when Magneto and Pyro were hurling automobiles togethor that was freakin' awesome.
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TrapperKeeper:
I think she was one of the few who had a power that I could see someone volunteering for a cure. I was rather disappointed in how Storm told her that there was nothing wrong with her.

I know the whole moral of accepting who you are and what not, but the girl couldn't touch anyone.

Yeah, Storm was being too defensive. I get the whole idea of accepting who you are as well, but there are some mutants (like Rogue) who's "gift" is a curse no matter how you look at it. Storm is lucky enough to have a mutation that she can control (although I understand that it requires some mental discipline for her not to change the weather wildly when she is emotional), and she can pass for a normal human. I don't see how anyone can blame Rogue for taking the cure, and it would be hard to blame mutants like Beast or Nightcrawler who can't pass for human.
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
Hm . . . I disagree in the case of the latter two. For one, their mutation only hinders daily life as far as society considers their appearance important, which seems to be less and less. Rogue's disabilities are inherent, while theirs are external.

And I think they had a bit in Astonishing X-Men that points out pretty clearly X-Men like Beast, who are in the public eye, can't be seen to take the cure, no matter what.

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
Disclaimer: I haven't read the comics, so my opinion is based purely on the movies.

I don't see how anyone can even imagine Rogue not taking the cure. Humans need human touch. To not have that, it would be horrific. Superpowers would be a small price to pay to be able to touch people. Especially considering that if she wants to get superpowers, the only pro in her situation, she has to brutally murder whoever she's getting them from. In my opinion that's a pretty major con.

Personally, I'm surprised Rogue had any conflict about it at all. I don't think that's especially realistic.

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nathan2006
Member # 9387

- posted      Profile for Nathan2006   Email Nathan2006         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, someone pointed out something in the thread... Rogue held Bobby's hand, but that was for like, three seconds, and so we don't know if she took the cure or not... Now that's a lead in to the next movie... In this case, when Bobby said 'This wasn't what I wanted' he was being an insensitive jerk, allowing Rogue to extredite herself from the relationship, and Bobby to hook up with Kitty.

I thought that Rogue would end up sharing [spoiler]The Pheonix's[/spoiler] powers.

She was one of my favorite characters though... It's too bad she didn't get more screen time. They probably had to delete an hour of scenes or more, seeing how the plot was waaaay to big for the movie, and in those scenes, Rogue may have played more of a part. But alas, They wouldn't allow a three and one half hour movie.

Posts: 438 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
I wanted more Angel, me. A lot more Angel. Ever since I was about eight, all I've dreamed about--at night and daydreams--is having wings and flying. Whenever Angel was onscreen flying around, I ended up cradling my arms and pinching my face up, just whispering "Wings . . . wings . . ." to myself.

Heck, I was practically crying.

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I was dissapointed with what they showed of the character Angel. All I knew before the movie was that he's a guy with wings. That's still all I know.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, he was just a cheap ploy to symbolize Freedom For All Mutants. Bah.
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

I thought the opening scene with Angel as a child cutting off his wings was very powerful, the best in the movie as a matter of fact. It speaks volumes about the kind of relationship he has with his father, for one thing.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.