FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Best Science Fiction You're Not Reading...

Author Topic: The Best Science Fiction You're Not Reading...
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Is Ty Frank's 2350 RPG

:shameless plug:

Ty is a master of scene, plot, and player management. All of the players are talented writers-- recently some very strong turns have been played by Vash the Stampede, TomDavidson, Rakeesh, and mr_porteiro_head.

This is not Star Wars. This is not Star Trek. This is not Firefly. This is more visceral and more compelling than all those shows put together, cloned eight times each, wrapped in a sheet of THRILLLING and exploded.

I am not kidding.

2350 Wiki

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
I refuse to start reading another Ty Frank campaign until Overlook is finished, which I might add I got hooked on due to one of these threads of yours. I will not get 3/4s of the way through a story again only to have it peter out and provide no resolution. [Razz]
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

Oh, ElJay, I'm so sorry...

Overlook is pretty much dead.

[Frown]

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I tried to read the Overlook campaign when Celia started that thread a year or two ago, but I never really got into it; reading a forum-based game just wasn't doing it for me. However (especially since I'm on vacation) I think I might be ready to think about playing in a campaign, if someone starts an interesting-sounding one soon.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
I've been meaning to start this thread myself. [Smile]

We DO have an amazing crew of players, and a top-notch GM, don't we?

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, Scott, I know it's dead. It just makes me sad, I wanted to know what happened. [Razz]
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
I still think Gareth gets turned into a zombie and then has zombie angst.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cheiros do ender
Member # 8849

- posted      Profile for cheiros do ender   Email cheiros do ender         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
This is not Star Wars. This is not Star Trek. This is not Firefly. This is more visceral and more compelling than all those shows put together, cloned eight times each, wrapped in a sheet of THRILLLING and exploded.
Oh I love that line. Mind if I borrow it?
Posts: 1138 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
If you haven't read 2350, then absolutely not. [Razz]
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I tried to read a bit of 2350, but it was so different from the ashes of the Murphy's Wager game that I couldn't quite get my head around it (I was very much mentally in the Murphy's Wager game space when I tried to read 2350).
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
zombie angst
BRAAAINS! BRAAAAINS... BRAAAAAINS?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

Twinky, try reading it again. You deserve to know why Overlook has died.

Not that 2350 is the only reason... but those of us who've migrated over have found refuge from the scourge of Kor Garesh.

[Smile]

twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I've tried intermittently, but I think that original read broke my brain somehow. I just don't have a feel for the setting or what's going on. I'll perservere, though, and figure it out eventually.

I'm very sad about Overlook, though. I really want to see that one through to the end. I figure I'll work through my angst about its demise by running episodic Call of Cthulhu games (the Chaosium ruleset, not d20) and watching the characters lose their minds.

[Smile]

Added: "Our lord D-M is sometimes cruel." [Big Grin]

[ May 31, 2006, 06:32 PM: Message edited by: twinky ]

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

In case an Index would be helpful for some people wanting to read this:

Chapters

A Cry In The Dark
Looking for the Syren
Down the Rabbit Hole
Inside the Syren
Canterbury
Syren
Syren's Secrets
Stripping the Syren
On the Knight
Liftoff
Messages from Home
The Long Ride to Saturn, pt 1
The Long Ride to Saturn, pt 2
The Eye of the Storm, pt 1
The Eye of the Storm, pt 2: 5 Days to Zero Hour
Belly of the Beast, pt 1
Belly of the Beast, pt 2: Who's that A-Knocking
Into the Breach
Déjà vu all over again
Double-Oh Folger
What Did Kelly Die For?
Naomi the Hacker
Polymorph Ship
The Ship is Searched, an Ass is Kicked
Kookaburra Sits in the Old Gum Tree
Slow Ride
Meet and Greet, pt 1
Meet and Greet, pt 2
Reunions
Beltward Bound
Interlude 1: Talking Heads
Card Game
Fred and Holden
Midway interludes
Arrival
You Can't Take the Sky From Me
Gar
Well, Blow Me Down!
Homeward Bound

Miscellaneous, Non-Story Related Threads

Out of Character Thread
The Starting Place
The Character Thread
Solar System of 2350
Pictures
Ship and Equipment Thread
Rule Changes

eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
But... I have been reading this. It has captivated me even after my head was vaporised by a powerful LASER strike.

Best.

RPG.

Ever.

Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
*a tear shed for those lost*
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

This is so much fun.

What's nice about this RPGs is you really don't have control over what someone else's character says or does. As a writer, I worry sometimes that I won't be true to an antagonist's character-- that I'll vacillate or something in favor of the plot.

No such deal-making in 2350.

Here's the perfect example:

In the current rounds, Savoyard and Holden are two characters arguing about whether to kill two prisoners. The prisoners are pirates that the party recently captured. The pirate group they belonged to used a gas-weapon to kill the majority of the crew of another ship. In Savoyard's culture, air is sacred. Poisoning air is an unthinkable offense, and is punishable by immediate expulsion into space. Holden has taken the pirates captive, and promised that he wouldn't kill (at least) one of them.

Savoyard is lobbying to execute them immediately; Holden (who is the Captain) is stringently refusing to allow it. The problem is compounded by the fact that the ship is about to dock at a space station filled with people who believe similarly to Savoyard. If the pirates live to see the space station, and if the space station denziens find out about their presence...

Whoah, nellie.

What's fun is that neither Holden nor Savoyard are backing off from their respective stances. Savoyard (my character) has a teen-ager's devotion to Holden (Tom Davidson's character), and is somewhat hurt that Holden doesn't get how Very Important this is. Holden feels betrayed and played by Savoyard because he (Savoyard) told some Belters on another ship that the pirates had been taken captive.

Angst! Danger! Internal monologuing!

You're missing out, if you haven't started reading this...

Bokonon
Member # 480

And Szymon is about to tick off Savoyard some more...

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

The Game has returned.

We took two months off while Slash was getting settled wherever he finally got settled.

I'm looking forward to a better game than ever before.

Some quick updates:

Edmund Valka, one of the pilots, left for greener pastures;

Griff, the transvestite annoyance and practical jokester, also left for parts unknown.

Sol, played by msquared, has taken their place. I think Sol is short for Solomon; he's our liason with the group run by Bester, and his primary purpose will be getting the group some swag.

Slash has hinted that we're to get another character-- someone to guide us around Eros. I can't wait to see what's in store.

[ October 23, 2006, 09:31 AM: Message edited by: Scott R ]

Bokonon
Member # 480

Huzzah!

-Bok

Scott R
Member # 567

Aw, man... Sakeriver's not behaving nicely today.

[Frown]

Bokonon
Member # 480

You want action? We've got action up the wazoo!

Not one, but 2 PCs critically wounded, one slowly being microwaved inside a futuristic killing machine and msquared's PC just about peeing himself.

I even hear that the DM, Jatraqueros-emeritus Slash, is going to put up a vote so that the people decide whether Amos or Szymon live [Wink]

-Bok

Scott R
Member # 567

quote:
Originally posted by Icarus:
I tried to read the Overlook campaign when Celia started that thread a year or two ago, but I never really got into it; reading a forum-based game just wasn't doing it for me. However (especially since I'm on vacation) I think I might be ready to think about playing in a campaign, if someone starts an interesting-sounding one soon.

[Smile]

quote:
Originally posted by twinky:
I tried to read a bit of 2350, but it was so different from the ashes of the Murphy's Wager game that I couldn't quite get my head around it (I was very much mentally in the Murphy's Wager game space when I tried to read 2350).

[Smile] [Smile]

For those of you who don't know, Icarus and twinky both have joined the crew of the Murphy's Revenge.

If you haven't been reading this, go thou and repent. You won't be disappointed.

Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey! If you keep advertising over here, we'll never make it to the year 2031 without pruning before Mike runs out of hard drive space.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
:: laugh ::
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

Huh?
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

http://www.sakeriver.com/forum/index.php?topic=636.msg198670#msg198670
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte         Edit/Delete Post 
From original post:"

"This is not Star Wars. This is not Star Trek. This is not Firefly. This is more visceral and more compelling than all those shows put together, cloned eight times each, wrapped in a sheet of THRILLLING and exploded."

Oh, so you're talking about Battlestar Galactica then.

Right. Carry on.

Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.