FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » favorite Beethoven piano sonata?

Author Topic: favorite Beethoven piano sonata?
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

- posted      Profile for the_Somalian   Email the_Somalian         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been obsessed with the Waldstein sonata for over a year.

Hear it here...(24 minutes...)

Posts: 722 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
That is a lovely Sonata but my favorite is Sonata No. 32 in C minor.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

- posted      Profile for BaoQingTian   Email BaoQingTian         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd have to go with Piano Sonata No. 14 in C sharp minor (Moonlight Sonata).

It's probably overplayed, but I still really really like it.

Posts: 1412 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm more of a Pathetique sonata person myself. That piece is brilliant!
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nathan2006
Member # 9387

- posted      Profile for Nathan2006   Email Nathan2006         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I've always like Pathetique, but it's a bit overplayed now... I like Op 10, No. 1. No. 2 is good too.
Posts: 438 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kristen
Member # 9200

- posted      Profile for Kristen   Email Kristen         Edit/Delete Post 
What about that beast the Hammerklavier? That would probably be my favorite if I went to see a pianist as I love to be wowed by virtuosity and complexity.

That being said, the Moonlight Sonata is the prettiest. Hands down.

Posts: 484 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I am also a Waldstein fan, though I prefer playing Pathetique.
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
#24 F# Major
Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I like that one that goes "la.... da..... dee.... lah dah dah dah dah dome" You know the one I mean. I forget what it's called. I used to hear a little bit of it played as the intro to this neat classical music show on the public radio station.

There was a story called "The Kreutzer Sonata" by somebody. Was it Tolstoy? Maybe Thomas Mann? I'll have to google it. (It was Tolstoy.) I wonder how many songs have their own story about them?

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
I've played a bunch of them (As a piano major)--but I'll be the first to agree with the_Somalian. Op. 53 no. 21 "Waldstein" is my favorite.
Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe I'm the first one saying this, but aside from the obvious overuse and perversion of No.14 "Moonlight" by our culture, I would rank it as a favorite.

I am actually a bigger fan of No. 8 in C-minor. Still, sometimes as a music major I get jaded towards Beethoven after I've listened to too much Brahms or Debussy, and I forget the context of Beethoven.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

- posted      Profile for Euripides   Email Euripides         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not very well versed in music, but I'm definitely going with the Moonlight Sonata. (I agree it's overused though - I heard it a while ago in a car commercial for example)
Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
While you are all entitled to your own opinions, whoever misguided they may be, Sonata 32 is the best.

If you disagree, your wrong.

Unless of course, you were to say Sonata 31 was the best, that's kind of a Galadriel/Arwen sort of thing.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

You use what I am assuming is a "Lord of the Rings" analogy in your valoration of Sonata 31 and 32. This does not strengthen your argument.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Orincoro, you jest! LotR analogies strenghten any argument!
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

- posted      Profile for the_Somalian   Email the_Somalian         Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of Beethoven...
Posts: 722 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
Now, when all of you are talking about Moonlight Sonata, are you talking about only the first movement? Personally, I enjoy the third movement the most- fast paced, exciting. And I'm learning how to play the first movement now.
Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

Well, Mov.1 is the most identifiable part of the peice. A teacher once assigned No.14 on a listening quiz. No-one studied the recording, so of course he played us the second movement... [Evil Laugh] First year music students are SO naive. [Big Grin]
Nathan2006
Member # 9387

- posted      Profile for Nathan2006   Email Nathan2006         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't heard many sonatas... And I've only played the one (Op. 10, No.1) But it's my favorite so far... Of course, I guess you're supposed to do more than play through the thematic index of the songs to pick your favorite... My bad.

No, but I did like Op 10. No.1, even before I played it.

Although I heard it from a crappy recording where this guy played it way too fast. He was known for playing the second movements of Beethovan's sonatas... The slow ones. Those were spectacularly played. But don't get me started on how he played the first movement.

Posts: 438 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luet13
Member # 9274

- posted      Profile for Luet13   Email Luet13         Edit/Delete Post 
It's pretty impossible for me to pick a favorite Beethoven sonata. I really like Op.2 No.3 (dedicated to Haydn, and you can sooo see the influence Haydn had on LvB), Op. 13 the "Pathetique", Op. 27 No.2 the "Moonlight" (3rd mvmt in particular) and of course Op. 31 No. 2 the "Tempest."

I love sightreading Beethoven. Fun for hours.

I also have this great boxed set of Daniel Barenboim playing ALL of Beethoven's sonatas. Heavenly. [Big Grin]

Posts: 511 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

Tatiana, you're thinking of the Pathetique sonata. I think it's Op. 13. [Smile] All of the movements are wonderful, but the one you're referring to is one of the most beautiful ever.

Luet, I adore Daniel Barenboim. He's actually quite an accomplished symphonic conductor now. I have a wonderful recording of the Brahms double concerto conducted by him with Yo-yo Ma on the cello and Itsak Perlman on the violin. Wonderful stuff. [Smile]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Baron Samedi
Member # 9175

- posted      Profile for Baron Samedi           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, Narnia, is that the disc with the Mendellsohn violin concerto. I love that disc. I was just listening to it last week. I couldn't stop... I played it over and over again. I'm so glad I'm not the only one.
Posts: 563 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

[Big Grin] yep, that's the one! *loves her some Hatrack*

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.