FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Free Speech in the workplace (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Free Speech in the workplace
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
As for it being unprofessional, it's the music industry. It's not "professional" in the traditional suit-and-tie sense to begin with.

How many times have I heard that one. "Its the fire service. It's not "professional" in the traditional suit-and-tie sense." "Its the security service", Its not "Professional" "medical services" and on and on. It is still not appropriate in the workplace, and supervisors who allow those kinds of behaviors are not good supervisors.
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Artemisia Tridentata:
quote:
As for it being unprofessional, it's the music industry. It's not "professional" in the traditional suit-and-tie sense to begin with.

How many times have I heard that one. "Its the fire service. It's not "professional" in the traditional suit-and-tie sense." "Its the security service", Its not "Professional" "medical services" and on and on. It is still not appropriate in the workplace, and supervisors who allow those kinds of behaviors are not good supervisors.
Unless you've worked in the music industry, you have no idea what you're talking about.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Unless you've worked in the music industry, you have no idea what you're talking about.
I don't quite understand the logic here. "It's not harassment, because it's the music industry...?"
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
Just because a group thinks they are special, does not exempt them from the law. (Except for the Congress of the United States when acting as an employeer.) You may have a greater percentage of group members that are willing to put up with substandard treatment. But, the liability is still the same if one of them decides to quit playing the game.
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
quote:
I don't quite understand the logic here. "It's not harassment, because it's the music industry...?"
That's not what I'm saying. I'm also not saying that sexual harassment doesn't exist.

In fact, I had a very well thought-out response to Art's last post, but at this point, it will serve no purpose for me to disagree, since nothing that I say will make any difference, as I am clearly just accepting "substandard" treatment because I'm a silly, helpless woman who doesn't know any better.

Done with this thread. Carry on.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
No one was really calling it harassment, pH, but they WERE calling it unprofessional and not appropriate for the work place.

There is a difference. [Big Grin]

Also, if you participated in the banter, you were as much at fault as he was rather than a victim.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swampjedi
Member # 7374

- posted      Profile for Swampjedi   Email Swampjedi         Edit/Delete Post 
Best bet is to sit at your desk and not look at or speak to anyone. All it takes is one misunderstanding or (worse) one person out to get you to ruin your career.

For instance, the following scenario is possible:

I was working with Nancy in the lab, just us. It was good work, we really didn't interact at all - but I did notice that she left out some classified material. I report it supervisor (as I am required to do), and it gets back to Nancy. She proceeds to accuse me of trying to grope her and making lewd comments. Now, I have to spend all this time fighting back, plus none of my female coworkers like me anymore.

It seems that all a woman has to do is accuse a man of sexual misconduct, and his life is ruined. Pretty effective, if you ask me - not to mention terribly unjust.

Anyways. I sometimes say things that I don't realize sound sexual, but others take them that way. Watch me get in trouble for that, one day.

Posts: 1069 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It seems that all a woman has to do is accuse a man of sexual misconduct, and his life is ruined. Pretty effective, if you ask me - not to mention terribly unjust.
You're being a bit melodramatic here, I think.

All a man has to do is plant evidence in a woman's purse and rat her out to the FBI and her life is ruined!

I mean, come on. The reaction to accusations of sexual harassment in the vast majority of work places in this country is luke warm, disbelieving, dilatory, and lacks a certain thoroughness, shall we say...

If you happened to hit some place where there had recently been an expensive loss in a lawsuit over such stuff, then, yeah, maybe you'd find yourself prejudged as a man accused of something.

But the most likely scenario is:
1) she accuses
2) you deny
3) they take no action

Sadly, this is true even when there IS sexual harrassment going on.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Even if the company doesn't take action Bob, it doesn't mean there aren't repercussion in the work place. If you work with a lot of women then it can get downright hostile, even if there was no proof to back up the allegations.

I had something like that happen to me when I worked at Cracker Barrel, and while I had not done anything wrong it was not a good place to work for weeks after.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.