FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Sweet & Bitter Love Songs

Author Topic: Sweet & Bitter Love Songs
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
So, what would you put on a love song or breakup song CD? Here are some of my choices:

Sweet Love
Passionate Kisses – Mary Chapin Carpenter
Perfect Love – Marc Cohn
Ice Cream – Sarah McLachlan
In Your Eyes – Peter Gabriel
Come on Home – Mary Chapin Carpenter
Forever and for Always – Shania Twain

Love Sucks
The Chain – Fleetwood Mac
On Your Way Back Down – David Wilcox
Language of the Heart – David Wilcox
Maybe Later – Lowen & Navarro
Sleep On – Allison Krauss
Silver Springs – Stevie Nicks

Of course, most of you are way younger and hipper than I am, and as you can see my tastes tend to be less than recent and somewhere in the folk category, but let's hear it!

(my apologies if this has been done before, didn't feel like searching)

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
REO Speedwagon. "Time For Me To Fly".

I make you laugh
And you make me cry
I believe it's time for me to fly.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
I end up listening to the same two songs on repeat every time I end a significant relationship:

Fuel - Shimmer
Third Eye Blind - Motorcycle Drive By

Can you tell I was a teenager in the 90's?

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
The most disturbingly desperate love song is Country Feedback by REM, IMO.
Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
breakup:

Ever Fallen in Love - Buzzcocks
Anything, Anything - Dramarama
They'll Need a Crane & I've Got a Match - TMBG
Cool As I Am - Dar Williams
Hard As Love - Marillion
Old Habits Die Hard - Mick Jagger

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Very few people can nail "bittersweet" like John Prine.

"All the Best"

I wish you love and happiness
I guess i wish you all the best
I wish you don't do like i do
And ever fall in love with someone like you

http://display.lyrics.astraweb.com:2000/display.cgi?john_prine%2E%2Ejohn_prine_christmas%2E%2Eall_the_best

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
For a really, really sad breakup song guaranteed to make you cry...

"Best I Ever Had" - Vertical Horizon.

Also:
"The Hardest Part of Breaking Up" - 2gether.
"Barely Breathing" - Duncan Shiek.
"Bandages" - Hot Hot Heat.
"Ragdoll" - Maroon 5
"Bully Me" - Vex Red.
"Filth Kiss Chrome Bitch" - Zeromancer.

Falling in love song? Right now, I'm really liking:
"Shut Your Eyes" - Snow Patrol.
"Sittin' Up in My Room" - Brandy.
"Hands Down" - Dashboard Confessional.
"The Gates of Rock'n'Roll" - VAST.
"Need You Like a Drug" - Zeromancer.

"You take the world out of my eyes. You suck the words out of my mouth...when we kiss."

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
His Savageness
Member # 7428

- posted      Profile for His Savageness   Email His Savageness         Edit/Delete Post 
Saddest break up song I know = "A Lack of Color" by Death Cab for Cutie.
Posts: 194 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
All I want and Case of you by Joni Mitchell.
Your Cloud by Tori Amos in terms of mushy songs.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
calaban
Member # 2516

- posted      Profile for calaban   Email calaban         Edit/Delete Post 
Falling in love: Crush DMB
Love sucks: Halloween DMB

Posts: 686 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
The kind of love you never recover from. - Christine Lavin: Both.
Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LordObsidian
Member # 9482

- posted      Profile for LordObsidian   Email LordObsidian         Edit/Delete Post 
Still Lovin' You- Scorpions
that song kills me everytime

Posts: 4 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Kate Wolf wrote some of the best love songs ever, both sweet and bitter (and some bittersweet or even just reflective.) Top of the list is, of course, "Give Yourself to Love."

"45 Years" is a great one, by Stan Rogers.

(I have a feeling that my taste in music is very different from a lot of peoples'. Allison Krauss is the only artist listed so far that I regularly listen to. Although I like the Beatles; lots of people can relate to the Beatles, right? Okay, the Beatles have some great love songs, too.)

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, everyone! As I suspected, I don't know most of the artists you've mentioned, but I might do some searching now to try to listen to some of them. The lyrics to the Lavin song are beautiful; I've probably heard it but can't think of the music.

Kq, I thought of including the Allison Krauss hit "When You Say Nothing at All," (actually Keith Whitley's) in my Sweet Love section, because I think it's really beautiful, but then I thought, nah, I can't really relate . . . I want a man who TALKS TO ME!!! ;-)

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeesh
Member # 9163

- posted      Profile for Jeesh           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by erosomniac:

Third Eye Blind - Motorcycle Drive By

Can you tell I was a teenager in the 90's?

I was born in the '90's and I love that song!

I might also use "So Sick" by Ne-Yo. I know some more but I don't know the titles.

Posts: 1164 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

Also, you can't go wrong with the triple-CD "69 Love Songs" by The Magnetic Fields. [Smile]

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Group 1
I Is Us (I Mother Earth) ("I want you to yell / with your hair in my fingers..." [Smile] [Smile] )
Taste You (Auf Der Maur, preferably the French version)
Bang (Eve 6)

Group 2
Black (Pearl Jam)
H. (Tool)
Denial, Revisted (The Offspring)
Passive (A Perfect Circle)
Fall to Pieces (Velvet Revolver)
This Time Imperfect (AFI)
The Thrill Is Gone (B. B. King)
Gone (Ben Folds)
Play The Blues (Danko Jones) ("If you wanna learn how to play the blues, get yourself a woman")
You Don't Love Me (Like You Used To) (The Philosopher Kings)
You Stepped On My Life (The Philosopher Kings)
Psychopomp (The Tea Party)

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mlve
Member # 9483

- posted      Profile for mlve   Email mlve         Edit/Delete Post 
Love Songs
1. Colorblind - Counting Crows
2. Naked As We Came - Iron and Wine
3. In Your Eyes - Peter Gabriel
4. Moondance - Van Morrison
5. Consequences of Falling - K.D. Lang

Broken Up
1. Ghost - Indigo Girls
2. Reflections - The Supremes
3. Go Your Own Way - Fleetwood Mac
4. Take It All Away - Cake
5. Angry - Matchbox Twenty

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Somersault, Distractions by Zero 7 sung by Sia
Home and Destiny by Zero 7 sung by another person.
Sweet Potato BY sIA

Moon is rather bittersweet and is also by sia

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinky
Member # 9161

- posted      Profile for Pinky   Email Pinky         Edit/Delete Post 
- "Just when I needed you most" and
- "I will always love you", but both only in the versions from Dolly Parton!

- "Closest thing to crazy", Katie Melua

- "Unintended", Muse
(I'll be there as soon as I can
but I'm busy mending all the
pieces of a life I had before)

- "Foolish Games", Jewel (okay, more bitter than sweet)

- "Midnight train to Georgia", Gladys Knight and the Pips

- "You'll follow me down", Skunk Anansie

And I second "Colorblind" from the Counting Crows. Though, mlve, do YOU understand the text? Any guesses? Anybody? [Confused]

I am colorblind
Coffee black and egg white
Pull me out from inside
I am ready

I am taffy stuck and tongue tied
Stutter shook and uptight
Pull me out from inside
I am ready
I am fine

I am covered in skin
No one gets to come in
Pull me out from inside
I am folded and unfolded and unfolding
I am
colorblind
Coffee black and egg white
Pull me out from inside
I am ready
I am fine

Posts: 262 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

Sounds very World Leader Pretend-esque. Recognition of self-isolation, wanting to escape. Then again, I've never actually heard the song. [Smile]

-Bok

Pinky
Member # 9161

- posted      Profile for Pinky   Email Pinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks. Though I'm still wondering about the "coffee black and egg white"- line. I think it might mean, that they are very different in every thinkable way, but that he's now ready to give their love a try (colorblind= forget the differences?), because he believes that she is the one who can help him to overcome his self-isolation? Well, I'm everything but sure.
Posts: 262 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

I think it relates more to the inner world he wants to be trapped in, that abstractness that brings everything in sharp relief, and maybe even getting at some sort of banality.

-Bok

David G
Member # 8872

- posted      Profile for David G   Email David G         Edit/Delete Post 
"I Still Miss Someone" - Johnny Cash
"It Ain't Me, Babe" - Johnny Cash
"Solitary Man" - Neil Diamond

And the single best of all time:
"Southern Cross" - Crosby Stills & Nash

Posts: 195 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
"Love will come to you" - The Indigo Girls.

Though I'd reverse that last line to read
"Where there's now two, there will be One." It wouldn't rhyme, though.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo St. Elmo
Member # 9566

- posted      Profile for Eduardo St. Elmo   Email Eduardo St. Elmo         Edit/Delete Post 
First Girl I Loved - The Incredible String Band

depending on your pov it could fit into both categories as stated at the start of this thread.

Posts: 993 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
Bitter:
Bright Eyes - Haligh Haligh
" Now we speak with ruined tongues and the words we say aren't meant for anyone...You said you hate my suffering and you understood and you'd take care of me, well where are you now?"
Boysetsfire - Resection
"I've built this wall around my heart to shut you out. I played my part in this game that I thought was real...A small dark place inside my mind will keep me safe and far behind where you can never hurt me again."

Jonah's Onelinedrawing does a really good song called Yr Letter that is a great bitter breakup song.
*who was an emo kid in college?

[ August 03, 2006, 12:59 PM: Message edited by: Ben ]

Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Demonstrocity
Member # 9579

- posted      Profile for Demonstrocity   Email Demonstrocity         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ben:
Bitter:
Bright Eyes - Haligh Haligh
" Now we speak with ruined tongues and the words we say aren't meant for anyone...You said you hate my suffering and you understood and you'd take care of me, well where are you now?"
Boysetsfire - Resection
"I've built this wall around my heart to shut you out. I played my part in this game that I thought was real...A small dark place inside my mind will keep me safe and far behind where you can never hurt me again."

*who was an emo kid in college?

Hey hey, smells like emo!

For real though, Bright Eyes has some of the best lyrics ever committed to paper, even though Connor Oberst singing them makes me want to stab my own jaw.

Posts: 246 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
Favorite love song and the first song my boyfriend and I ever danced to (while at a friend's wedding).

Better Together - Jack Johnson

"Love is the answer,
At least for most of the questions in my heart
Like why are we here? and where do we go?
And how come it's so hard?
It's not always easy and
Sometimes life can be deceiving
I'll tell you one thing its always better when we're together"

[ August 03, 2006, 01:22 PM: Message edited by: Shanna ]

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
Love Stinks - J. Geils Band

You Don't Love Me Anymore - Weird Al Yankovic[/url]
http://www.lyrics007.com/Weird%20Al%20Yankovic%20Lyrics/You%20Don't%20Love%20Me%20Anymore%20Lyrics.html
(Why can't I hotlink that?)

***sniff!***

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Pinky, Shanna:

Because of potential copyright issues, the board administrators have previously asked us to post only two-line snippets of lyrics, rather than posting entire songs. I hate to be a party pooper, but you should probably edit your posts.

In the spirit of two-line snippets, I'll offer a few from my list above:

"I heard a bang, the stars collided, her skin drew me in just like a magnet
Little girl, my little world is yours..." (Bang, Eve 6)

"I know someday you'll have a beautiful life, I know you'll be a sun
In somebody else's sky, but why, why, why can't it be mine?" (Black, Pearl Jam)

"I know that you went straight to someone else
While I worked through all this s*@% here by myself." (Gone, Ben Folds)

"We don't make love in the afternoon, on the stairs in the west room
When you're here you're never in the mood, you don't love me like you used to do." ((You Don't Love Me) Like You Used To, The Philosopher Kings)

"The snake behind me hisses what my damage could have been
My blood before me begs me open up my heart again" (H., Tool)

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the heads up, Twinky. I didn't see the notice. I'll got edit right now.
Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Demonstrocity
Member # 9579

- posted      Profile for Demonstrocity   Email Demonstrocity         Edit/Delete Post 
This is why I've long felt that despite general sentiment against, we really ought to have a stickied "RULES: READ FIRST" thread. Not for the purely subjective and arbitrary "rules" like "lurk for a few weeks before you post" or "the Old Guard, while not stuffy, has been jabbed a few too many times by overaggressive newbies and generalized trolls, so tread lightly," but for objective rules like the 2-line maximum quote rule.
Posts: 246 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Edgehopper
Member # 1716

- posted      Profile for Edgehopper   Email Edgehopper         Edit/Delete Post 
Song for the Dumped - Ben Folds

Also, I'd like to hear a 3rd category--Songs for the "rejected". I haven't gotten to the point of love or breakup songs recently :-(

Posts: 170 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
"That was me on the side, writing unrequited love letters that i would send to my imaginary girlfriend."
Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.