FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Bizarre.

Author Topic: Bizarre.
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
So, I guess children's entertainment is swinging back towards the "Krofft" side of the Force?

Wake me when it starts invoking Jim Henson instead.

Thanks.

[ June 05, 2006, 03:09 PM: Message edited by: Puffy Treat ]

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
I just... I'm...

:shudder:

I'm suddenly more afraid for my children's future than I've ever been before.

Wake up, America. The threat isn't communism or homosexual marriage, or even obesity. It's 'Yo, Gabba Gabba.'

It's devouring my brain.

:whimper:

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I want those two IQ points back.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm scared.
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
To me it just seems to be another manifestation of AquaBats reality-contorting modus operandi. Until some network fesses up, I'm betting it's just a bit of silliness from an odd set of people. But maybe you all already knew that and I'm just coming late to the party.

Oh, and the music bugged the heck out of me. Riff off video game sountracks if you must, but tone down the synthesized drums a few dB. *grumble, grumble* kids these days *grumble, grumble*

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
Biz Markie!? What the hell?

I fear for our nation's epileptics.

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

No, the is a genuine new kid-vid show.

Much as I wish it were a fever dream.

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
Puffy-

Do you have a citation/linky? How do you know for sure?

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Check the official website at Yo Gabba Gabba!-dot-com

Some of the characters created for the 'Bats -are- in the show, but it doesn't seem to be a hoax.

erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
Was that the Paul Frank monkey I saw in there?!
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

I think I need to watch Death to Smoochy tonight.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

According to the website, he's a "special guest".

Some of the animators on the various cartoon and animation blogs I follow said they've done segments for the show, which is still being shopped around.

SenojRetep
Member # 8614

My problem is I don't really trust the official site to give truthful information. I mean, it could all be part of the joke. Or, not joke, exactly, but maybe say band-idiosyncrocy? They like this weird reality-bending self-image, so why shouldn't they continue it in their official press release.

I guess my doubt isn't so much about whether there is an intent to make a show at all (although I _do_ wonder if it isn't some sort of prank), but whether any children will ever actually see it (since I see no interested networks/audiences, other than AquaBats fans). I could see them using these characters on their next tour, or in a music video (in fact, that's what the "trailer" feels like to me; just a music video intended for their adult/pre-adult audience), all the time talking about the new children's show their producing.

Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Well, if you'll excuse the expression, dur-hey. [Smile]

The vast majority of TV show pilots never sell. There's no guarantee that this one will.

As for there being no interested networks: Are you an network executive with an inside track on what shows are being looked at as prospective new series?

Or are you guessing? [Wink]

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dagonee:

Nope, I keeping them. They are preventing me from clicking on that link.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

For the curious/borderline masochistic, the video at the bandwidth-overloaded link above can be viewed at The "Yo Gabba Gabba" MySpace page.
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, that's worse than Viva Pinata. But a show about pinata's getting smacked around is pretty absurd.
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
quote:
Originally posted by Dagonee:

Nope, I keeping them. They are preventing me from clicking on that link.
I can't tell if this was deliberate or not, but it's pretty funny.
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
It looks like Teletubbies and Barney on meth. Ewww.

(Thankful that my kids are 10 and 12 - way too old for this!)

Edited to clarify: I was referring to Yo Gabba Gabba. The pinata one isn't over yet (nods off).

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mistaben
Member # 8721

- posted      Profile for mistaben           Edit/Delete Post 
Haven't been that frightened by the TV since I encountered BoohBah.
Posts: 105 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

Puffy-

A friend from UT just mentioned having seen Yo Gabba Gabba while watching TV with her two-year-old daughter. She thought it was great children's entertainment. Just wanted to say sorry I doubted you (and the sincerity of the Aqua Bats); I should have known better.

Peter

docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
My kids like this. They especially like the rock anthem "Party In My Tummy."

However, my five year old definitely pointed out that she likes Wow! Wow! Wubbzy! better. And Dora and Diego better than either of those.

As for Wonder Pets, my daughter says she likes it less than Yo Gabba Gabba, but my wife says this is incorrect. I am now confused. I am unsure whether this is a reflection of my daughter's feelings or my wife's.

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
My three-year-old gets bored with this and asks to watch the "Food Channel" instead.

Now, Wonder Pets, she loves. And likes Wow! Wow! Wubbzy! okay. Dora and Diego, she would watch, but unless I am extremely ill (or she is), I do not allow them in my house.

Wonder Pets I actually find useful. When I need help with something, all I have to do is sing, "What's going to work? TEAM-work!" and she pitches right in.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
My kids are the only ones I know of that would choose Kipper or Angelina Ballerina or Charlie and Lola over any other show. What is it with those Brits?
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Sophie loves Charlie and Lola. Passionately. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godric 2.0
Member # 11443

- posted      Profile for Godric 2.0   Email Godric 2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
My three-year-old gets bored with this and asks to watch the "Food Channel" instead.

Now, Wonder Pets, she loves. And likes Wow! Wow! Wubbzy! okay. Dora and Diego, she would watch, but unless I am extremely ill (or she is), I do not allow them in my house.

Heh... Audrey gets bored with the Food Network and I have to switch to Noggin. She requests Wow! Wow! Wubbzy! and Little Bill both by name (thank god for DVR!).

My wife *hates* Yo, Gabba Gabba. I've only seen short bits of it, so I can't really comment. But she swears it's the end of civilized culture.

kq, I have to ask though, what wrong with Dora and Diego?

Posts: 382 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Did they really just say that Lola is "freaking happy?!"
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

o/` She's pink and happy!
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
This makes me nostalgic for Barney. I think it's become more inane since Barney and Friends in 1992, but it least Barney had some redeeming qualities.
Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
paigereader
Member # 2274

- posted      Profile for paigereader   Email paigereader         Edit/Delete Post 
I about feel out of my chair when I heard They Might Be Giants singing on one of those kids shows.
Posts: 204 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Godric 2.0:

kq, I have to ask though, what wrong with Dora and Diego?

They drive me MAD. Dora most of all. STOP FREAKING YELLING AT ME, YOU DUMB LITTLE WEIRDO!

I made the mistake of allowing Ni Hao, Kai Lan a few times.

Ni Hao, Kai Lan is Dora the Explorer with Mandarin instead of Spanish.

You've been warned. Her eyes are slightly less creepy and her voice slightly less shrill but the repetition and yelling are the same.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
There's a whole market for tv shows like Dora the Explorer that are expressly designed for audiences too young and dumb to be watching TV in the first place.

And yet, they're still a positive asset, because they are a handy foil: a crutch for the scores of parents too dumb, overloaded or busy themselves to do anything better for their kids with that time.

Now, when they get old enough to be ready for shows like Between the Lions and other edutainment that dun' make mommy and daddy feel like their brain is leaking out their ears, then tv is fine.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trent Destian
Member # 11653

- posted      Profile for Trent Destian           Edit/Delete Post 
I just don't know anymore. Why is this allowed to go on? Who is instigating this? Is it better for the kids, have there been studies conducted? Is it easier to drop a kid off in front of the newest, singy-est, colory-est, loudy-est show than it is to read to them? Do parents even watch it or do they just press play and let the tv do the teaching because the box said "educational fun"? I need answers, or at the very least some statistical data proving that these kids' minds aren't mush or permanently warped.

TV isn't inherently bad, but sometimes moderation and a little sense can go a long way.

[ March 10, 2009, 12:12 AM: Message edited by: Trent Destian ]

Posts: 247 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I sometimes have to remind myself that most of you don't have toddlers and thus are to be forgiven for thinking Yo Gabba Gabba! is something that's sprung up recently.

--------

God, I hate Dora and Diego so much. The first couple times you watch an episode, maybe they're not so bad. But then the little things start to get to you, most importantly the repetition -- even within phrases, like a "muddy mudslide" or a "gummy gumdrop" -- and the constant, high-volume importuning. "Come on," they yell, "do what we tell you! Or we will yell some more! Isn't this fun? Say it's fun! Say it! Say it louder!"

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hank
Member # 8916

- posted      Profile for Hank   Email Hank         Edit/Delete Post 
I work as a nanny for a three-year-old, and we don't watch much TV, but when we do, it's because of one of three reasons:
1) We are brushing her hair, and she is a hair-hypochondriac. The shiny colors distract her from the pain.
2) I am doing a lot of cleaning (I usually try to wait 'til she's down for a nap, but occasionally there's too much).
3) She is sick (esp. feverish) and out of it, and just wants to veg. out.
Grand total, we watch maybe 1/2 an hour a day.

She really likes Dora, but I find it totally disconcerting that they break the 4th wall every 5 seconds. Wubzy is a little hyper for me, as is Yo Gabba Gabba (Which I don't mind that much. I've used some of the songs to emphasize concepts with her, including their song to the effect of, "If you suffer a minor injury, say 'Ow!' and move on with your life." My girls are both pretty serious wallowers). Our mutual favorites, however are Max & Ruby and LazyTown. LazyTown seems really frenetic to me, but, hey, the songs aren't that bad (for children's programming).

I love Noggin, though. None of their shows are terrible (I'm looking at you, Spongebob). And the fact that they don't have regular commercials but instead use puzzles and songs like This makes me feel that they are the safest thing to switch to.

[ March 10, 2009, 02:21 AM: Message edited by: Hank ]

Posts: 368 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
My sister-in-law-to-be had as her Facebook status the other day "... thinks that Dora needs to use her inside voice." Hear, hear.

And does Yo Gabba Gabba make anyone else think of the Ramones?

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My kids are the only ones I know of that would choose Kipper or Angelina Ballerina or Charlie and Lola over any other show. What is it with those Brits?
British children's tv is almost always better. There are a few exceptions.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
paigereader
Member # 2274

- posted      Profile for paigereader   Email paigereader         Edit/Delete Post 
My husband watching Dora with our niece, "How does Dora know that's a magic hairbrush?"
I say,"Because the talking bunny told her it was magic!"
Boots' parents are scary. Giant monkies in clothes. Some characters are drawn like blobs - Isa and Benny (who is a blue bull) and other animals are drawn anotomically correct. weird

Posts: 204 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Traceria
Member # 11820

- posted      Profile for Traceria   Email Traceria         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:

Cool. [Smile] I've got a friend with a 7-year-old. His favorite show is Mythbusters.
Posts: 691 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

Yo Gabba, Gabba! better than Sesame Street? Actually, according to the author, not just better than Sesame Street, the best thing on Children's television.

My children are deprived I suppose. We only get broadcast, so all they know is PBS kids, and what they pick up in the DVD section at the library. Current favorites are Dinosaur Train, Harold and the Purple Crayon (via DVD), and the incredibly overprogrammed Curious George (it seems like its on 4-5 times a day). My six-year-old also really, really likes the single season of the "Where on Earth is Carmen Sandiego" that's out on DVD.

Actually, considering how wild Calvin (3) goes for the Wiggles' dance numbers, he'd probably really get into Yo Gabba, Gabba; I'm a little afraid our house wouldn't survive his sweet moves, though.

AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
You get points for Where on Earth is Carmen Sandiengo, but I want to get The Anamaniac's for the kids in my family. Too bad Ghost Writer is completely dissproven... I had a very fantastic and silly idea of just what the internet was.
Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
What's Ghost Writer?
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
It was interesting to read that take on YGG. It's one of those shows that drives me insane but the kids seem to like.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ambyr
Member # 7616

- posted      Profile for ambyr           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
What's Ghost Writer?

Ghostwriter.

Man, I hadn't thought about that show in years. Loved it.

Posts: 650 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

I *nearly* checked out the pilot episode of Ghostwriter from the library the other day for my oldest. She really likes mysteries and detectives and whatnot. In the end, I decided it was still a bit above her (she's still only in kindergarten). Maybe next year.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
I was fascinated to find out the psychology behind why today's kids shows are utterly maddening to adults but better for the kids.

We've got blues clues to thank for that.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.