FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Flag Burning (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Flag Burning
Sweet William
Member # 5212

- posted      Profile for Sweet William           Edit/Delete Post 
This discussion makes me yearn for a Supreme Court (and Congress and Executive, for that matter) which understood what the phrase "freedom of speech" means.

Frankly, the act of burning a flag does not equate with protected speech, any more than telling vicious lies about my neighbor equates with protected speech.

It also makes me yearn for a congress and executive branch which understand that they, too have the responsibility to protect, defend, and interpret the constitution (it's not just for stupid judges any more!!!).

Posts: 524 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Frankly, the act of burning a flag does not equate with protected speech, any more than telling vicious lies about my neighbor equates with protected speech.

Why is that? In order to be held accountable for the vicious lies one would have to prove that they were lies and that there was some damage to the neighbor. What would be the equivalent remedy for flag-burning?

[ June 28, 2006, 01:04 PM: Message edited by: kmbboots ]

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Frankly, the act of burning an American flag because it is so often a peaceful political protest is obviously protected speech. Furthermore, you can tell lies about your neighbor on your own all you want.

Can you give me a single reason why it isn't, except that burning the flag pisses you off?

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
SW, we haven't interpreted "speech" to be merely restricted to the spoken word for far, far longer than any of us have been alive. Burning the flag is a clear act of non-violent protest, and as such is obviously protected political speech.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Curiously, many of the groups most against the acceptance of flag-burning as protected free speech are also in favor of defining massive campaign contributions as protected free speech.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Luckily, I dodge that bullet by also being in favor of massive campaign contributions.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Me, too. [Smile]
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm bothered by how close that vote was.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
I also was disturbed by how close the vote was.
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Let your senators know how you feel.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
timothytheenchanter
Member # 7041

- posted      Profile for timothytheenchanter   Email timothytheenchanter         Edit/Delete Post 
personally, i'm against the amendment, i'll stand outside the courthouse with a flag and burn it should this amendment get passed in the future.

The Congress shall have power to prohibit the physical desecration of the flag of the United States

i figure that if i decided that on the fourth of july i'd have a cake with the flag painted on to it with frosting. would i be allowed to put a candle on it? well maybe this year 230 candles.

Posts: 21 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
The other day I went to a rodeo show and during the beginning ceremony, they had a thing where women rode out on a horse carrying the flag of each of the military divisions (air force, army, navy, etc.). Then they played the Toby Keith song while a woman with the American flag burst out of the gates on a really fast horse adn then all of the other flags started circling around it while the Toby Keith song was blasting. It was really cool.

[/random story]

Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Does Toby Keith only have one song?
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
Only one song that I've ever heard. [Big Grin] But it's "Courtesy of the Red, White, and Blue." I figured it was his only song about America and thought everyone would understand which one I was referring to. [Big Grin] Sorry about that.
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Ah.
*shudder*

Man, I'm so not a man of the people.

Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
not a fan of "proud to be an american". The melody doesn't sing well and the words are cheesy. and I'm not really proud to be an American. "where at least I know I'm free" is very quickly becoming a thing of the past.

"America, the Beautiful", though--wow what a great song. Especially the Joe Cocker version.

Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamson
Member # 7808

- posted      Profile for Hamson   Email Hamson         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. I'm deeply disturbed by how close that vote was. It's just sad that considering everything the US senate could be dealing with right now, that it is taking a vote on whether or not there should be an amendment against flag burning.

Global Warming... Government breaches in privacy... War on "terror"...

Posts: 879 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
Just a thought. If we do outlaw flag burning, does it mean that we can lock people up for it in any occupied territory? Seems like a good way to shut up protestors if we start invading more countries.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Seems like a good way to breed protesters faster than cockroaches.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
So maybe they could just put the flag on the endangered species list and then it would have more protection then the amendment would have given it.
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Good idea Jay, but the number produced far outweigh the number destroyed in any given year. Hence the US Flag, like US Attitude, US Soldier, and US Democracy is here to stay for a long, long time.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.