FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Questions about adverse reaction to tetanus shot

Author Topic: Questions about adverse reaction to tetanus shot
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
I got a tetanus(spelling?) shot on Monday. The area is swollen and red. The red seems to be spreading. It also hurts.

I told the doctor and she gave me a prescription for antibiotics. I have an appointment with her tomorrow.

Can you get tetanus from the shot? Should I be worried? Is it an allergic reaction? [Angst]

Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theaca
Member # 8325

- posted      Profile for Theaca   Email Theaca         Edit/Delete Post 
It's either an allergic reaction or a cellulitis. Put ice on it and take the prescription and go to your appt. You'll be just fine. [Smile]

And you won't get tetanus.

Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you.
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
Every time I have ever gotten a tetanus shot, I've ended up with a huge knot on my arm. It gets red, it gets sore, its a pain in the...well, in the arm. [Smile] The doctor never seemed to be too concerned about it.
Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm allergic to tetanus toxin, so it's not unheard of to have an allergic reaction. (though, really you can become allergic to any medicine)

Instead of what you're describing, I broke out in itchy hives all up and down the arm, it was easily treated with benadryl. You did the right thing - you called the doc. You'll be fine. [Smile]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I get that reaction to all shots, especially tetanus and flu, which make me sick for several days with cold-like symptoms. I'm not allergic, though, just have bad reactions. When I was little I used to get incredibly high fevers. So did my first daughter until she was about 1 1/2, and then it settled down to a low-grade fever and localized swelling for her, too.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

- posted      Profile for andi330           Edit/Delete Post 
The last time that I got a tetanus shot I got that. It got bigger and bigger for about four days and then it started to shrink. I called the local nurses hotline on day four and asked if I needed to back to the doctor. She told me if it was bigger again the next day to go back but the next day it was smaller so I didn't. She also wanted to know where I got the shot. She told me that it's not an unheard of reaction but that it was uncommon and that they needed to notify the hospital (in my case) so that the doctor could report the batch number to the FDA. That kinda freaked me out.

If you see a red line (like someone has taken a red pen and started drawing a line) on your arm start moving up your arm from the shot area go to the ER as fast as you can. That's an infection and it's moving toward your heart. If it gets there that could be VERY bad.

Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.