FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Dreaming of a better world (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Dreaming of a better world
Robin Kaczmarczyk
Member # 9067

- posted      Profile for Robin Kaczmarczyk   Email Robin Kaczmarczyk         Edit/Delete Post 
Or as my family is fond of saying in Mexico..

Que Pedo?

Posts: 379 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with you so far, Robin. Can you explain why borders preclude the possibility of reasoning with adversaries?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Kaczmarczyk
Member # 9067

- posted      Profile for Robin Kaczmarczyk   Email Robin Kaczmarczyk         Edit/Delete Post 
Because, my dear Tom, if you are considered a trespasser, unable to be hosted by somebody, before you even come in, you are already trying to figure out how to get out.

Is that condusive to helpful dialogue?

The Muslims have rules about that. You HAVE to let somebody rest in your home. If they are thirsty and tired. And you HAVE to give them at least a little food and water if they need it.

Posts: 379 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Kaczmarczyk
Member # 9067

quote:
Originally posted by Rakeesh:
quote:
I fear nothing. Except, maybe disappointing my family.
That's a lie. A man who claims to fear nothing except disappointing his family has no business calling anyone else a fool...except insofar as he has the capacity to recognize the trait so abundant in himself in others.

I know lots of aspiring Zen Monks who want to be film producers. Instead of, you know, striving for enlightenment. What a pack of bullshit.

Ok. I could have been in error about the fear factor. I guess I haven't pushed hard enough yet, have I?
Mig
Member # 9284

- posted      Profile for Mig   Email Mig         Edit/Delete Post 
Underlying all discussions of illegal immigration and open borders is one unavoidable truth: open borders between the US and Mexico would be the best thing to ever happen to the corrupt Mexican power elites. Illegal Mexican aliens and the money they send home keeps the corrupt Mexican politicians and robber barrons in power and forestalls any meaningful reforms that country will ever see. Next to oil revenues, very little of which filters down to the poor, money from relatives in the US is the country's biggest source of funds. If we want to help to continue to oppression of Mexico's poor masses, then lets open the borders. If you want to help keep Mexican children begging on the streets for generation after generation, then open the borders. Does anyone think that Presidente Fox opposes efforts to close the borders because of his spiritual enlightenment? Or is it perhaps because he knows that the corrupt system he presides over is dependent on illegal border crossings?
Posts: 407 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If you want to help keep Mexican children begging on the streets for generation after generation
Yeah...I don't so much care about this...I'd prefer to protect my children's futures by hoarding and protecting as many opportunites as possible, especially if it means that I get to repress some foreigners at the same time. (I do so love these all or nothing topics. Picking an extreme is much easier than dealing with the problem.)
Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The Muslims have rules about that. You HAVE to let somebody rest in your home. If they are thirsty and tired. And you HAVE to give them at least a little food and water if they need it.
It's worth noting that not a single Islamic country has an open border policy.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for mentioning that Tom... It's definately worth mentioning that the U.S. even if it doesn't have the most friendly border policy at all times certainly has one of the more civil border policies compared to many other nations. i.e. unless you're doing something really crazy you're not going to be shot for crossing the US border illegally, you're just going to be sent back home for not following proper channels.

Again I'd like to see more of this discussion directed towards comparing and contrasting border policies with Europe (or to be honest any actual information on what any other country's border policies actually are) rather than random philosophical musings on what the Quaran might say... the Bible also mentions giving your neighbor your coat etc, but that doesn't mean any "cristian" nation allows completely free border traffic, or enforces mandatory donations of overgarments to travellers.

And Robin... I think what would be most condusive to a helpful dialogue would be for you to adopt a realistic world view.

I hate to be that harsh, but honestly...

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Kaczmarczyk
Member # 9067

quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
quote:
It's worth noting that not a single Islamic country has an open border policy.
Just because the Koran has good ideas, it does not necessarily mean that the Muslims will follow them, Tom.. Just like the Bible, huh?

Grimm..

Don't go there, man, please don't go there.

Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, you brought up Muslims and borders and hospitality. Not Tom.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Kaczmarczyk
Member # 9067

Rak.

That's because my dad's a Sufi, and I do know a bit about Sufis.

BTW. Just about any real 'civilization', India, Africa, even bloody Europe have certain rules about letting people 'crash'.

Here we call it Drifting, in L.A.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.