FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Left Behind? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Left Behind?
Jeesh
Member # 9163

- posted      Profile for Jeesh           Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone read the Left Behind series? By Tim LaHayne and Jerry B. Jenkins?
Posts: 1164 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
*shudder*
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Nope. No one has.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
This comes up every few years here, yes. They're generally viewed as unreadable.

I liked the first couple of books but became offended after a while. It was clear the authors were just in it for the money as they dragged the story out longer and longer. I found myself wishing God would just wipe it all out and start a nice zoo instead.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

This comes up every few years here, yes. They're generally viewed as unreadable.

I liked the first couple of books but became offended after a while. It was clear the authors were just in it for the money as they dragged the story out longer and longer. I found myself wishing God would just wipe it all out and start a nice zoo instead.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
I've yet to hear anything positive about it.

[ June 12, 2006, 03:25 PM: Message edited by: Bella Bee ]

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

Jeesh, it comes up every few years here. By the response you've already gotten, you can probably guess that they're largely viewed here as being unreadable.
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
<shrug> Haven't read them. They continue to sell, so I guess someone must like 'em. I'd hope even evangelical christians aren't so desperate for something that presents their worldview they'd completely forgive shoddy writing.
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeesh
Member # 9163

My brother had some of the books, I thought I'd ask about them. But :shrug:
Posts: 1164 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
No. I tried reading the comic adaptation, once. Gave up in disgust.
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
So there I was in need of a book, and only a few minutes until my flight was to take off. I grabbed what looked like to be an interesting SCI
FI book about a large portion of the world's population vanishing, and don't look too closely. When I got to the part about the Orthodox in Israel converting at the wailing wall, I had to switch over to the in-flight magazine.

Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
If you want a book that covers the whole End of Days thing, and you want it written well and not dragged out over a dozen volumes, I recommend Carol Balizet's The Last Seven Years. Obviously, since it's not my religion, I can't vouch for the accuracy, but it ticked me off a couple of times, which is probably a decent recommendation right there. <grin>

I've had my copy since it was out in the bookstores in the early '80s, and I've probably read it half a dozen times. Give LaHaye a pass and try this instead.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeesh
Member # 9163

I'll find it.
Swampjedi
Member # 7374

- posted      Profile for Swampjedi   Email Swampjedi         Edit/Delete Post 
I left those behind when I moved to my new place.

I apologize, I couldn't let it go unsaid.

Posts: 1069 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
airmanfour
Member # 6111

- posted      Profile for airmanfour           Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with jeniwren completely. Those two are on my list of people to punch in the ear if ever I run into them. Right above those My Super Sweet 16 chicks. I have one nasty right hook.
Posts: 1156 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
I must be insane. I liked the series and own them all. But I do not read them for the religious aspects, I see them solely as a very long epic and don't get into the various moral/ethical/theist issues. In fact, my train book right now is The Regime, the first of the pre-Rapture novels that are being put out now.
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Goody Scrivener:
I must be insane.

Apparently.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Kaczmarczyk
Member # 9067

- posted      Profile for Robin Kaczmarczyk   Email Robin Kaczmarczyk         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm very curious by this series. I have seen a few of the films, and certainly, i find them stimulating.
Posts: 379 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MandyM
Member # 8375

- posted      Profile for MandyM   Email MandyM         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh Goody! I am not the only one who liked the books! I didn't think they were great literature or anything but I enjoyed them. My husband actually came to Christ because of those books so they are especially meaningful to us. I think the point was to reach people who were not being ministered to in church and these books breached that gap. Jeesh, my advice is read one or two of them and if you hate it, don't bother with the rest.
Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If you want a book that covers the whole End of Days thing, and you want it written well and not dragged out over a dozen volumes, I recommend Carol Balizet's The Last Seven Years.
For a nice and accurate account of the End of Days, you can't do better than Good Omens.

[ June 13, 2006, 12:52 AM: Message edited by: MrSquicky ]

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
quote:
Originally posted by Goody Scrivener:
I must be insane.

Apparently.
I have the first book in the series. I may read the whole thing at some point. I mean, I made it through all 10 books of Mission Earth. This can't possibly be that much worse.

Right?

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

Had anyone heard that they're making a computer game based on the series? A real-time strategy game, no less.

Hello, weirdness.

quote:
No. I tried reading the comic adaptation, once. Gave up in disgust.
Yeah, I skimmed it in a library once. About the point I realized the villains were <sinister demonic voice> atheist scientists!!</sinister demonic voice> I realized I probably wasn't quiiiite the target audience.

[Smile]

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
... frankly, I felt that it wouldve been a good thing for the universe if the Voltar Conferedacy got invaded by even stronger aliens.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bean Counter
Member # 6001

- posted      Profile for Bean Counter           Edit/Delete Post 
It was painful to wade all the way to book three, one more "event" that perfectly conformed to the predicted chronology of the church the book was written to sell to made throw away the book in disgust, it was so smug...

Just once if they would have had an even take place in an unpredicted fashion...

Well that would not save it but oh well.

It was as bad as any thing I have seen in print. and I read less then a fourth of it.

BC

Posts: 1249 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Just once if they would have had an even take place in an unpredicted fashion...
Yes, but unfortunately that's probably not what the target audience would want to see. If they believed that every single word of the Bible is true, then everything has to happen just as it says. So you could actually save your money and just read the relevant part of the Bible instead. It's probably better written, too. After all, I think we know how it ends. [Wink]
Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I believe in all honesty that unless we are so stupid as to press the big red button it will never happen. Why? Because even if God could destory the world hundreds of millions o people would undoubtably die with no hope and everything we worked for in the last 50,000 years would be destroyed.

That is when I say "I quit" and walk away from such madness.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bean Counter
Member # 6001

- posted      Profile for Bean Counter           Edit/Delete Post 
It is not that it represents a literal interpretation of the Bible, it follows the formula that has been 'extracted' by the evangelical Christians that comb through coded letters in the Bible and believe they cracked a code that was conveying meaningful information eighteen centuries ago. It is painful to see them pat themselves on the back over and over for being the only ones who where right...

BC

Posts: 1249 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
C.S. Lewis
J.R.R. Tolkien.

There. Now that the obvious are out of the way. If you want to read some decent Christian fiction, pick up some Stephen R. Lawhead. While not the most amazing author to grace the page, he writes a good page-turner. His best known work is the Pendragon Cycle (Arthurian legends). I, personally, enjoy the Song of Albion and Dragon King books.

Another favourite from my childhood is John White's Tower of Geborah series. I have no idea how it would stack up today as I haven't read it in years, but I remember really liking it. It was the first book to keep me up all night.

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amilia
Member # 8912

- posted      Profile for Amilia   Email Amilia         Edit/Delete Post 
I listened to the Left Behind books on tape in my car. I could forgive them the ulta-literalist interpretation of Revelation. I could forgive them their attempt to convert me to be Born Again. I could not fogive the way they had to recap Every. Single. Thing. that had happened in the previous books before going on to the new stuff. I don't remember which book I got to, but by the time I had listened to 4 tapes without anything new happening, I gave up and took it back to the library.
Posts: 364 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Kaczmarczyk
Member # 9067

- posted      Profile for Robin Kaczmarczyk   Email Robin Kaczmarczyk         Edit/Delete Post 
Ofcourse, if you want a recepy for Armageddon, why, Get the Cookbook!
Posts: 379 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celaeno
Member # 8562

- posted      Profile for Celaeno   Email Celaeno         Edit/Delete Post 
You can add me to the list of people who label them "unreadable."

A few years ago I picked up the first one and stopped about forty pages shy of the end. I have no interest in finishing. Nothing made me care about the characters.

Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swampjedi
Member # 7374

- posted      Profile for Swampjedi   Email Swampjedi         Edit/Delete Post 
IMO, Mission Earth was much worse.
Posts: 1069 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
The scariest part of the series is that the author is behind several Christian conservative politicians. He is trying to swing US policy, mostly foriegn policy, not to a Christian agenda, but to a specific sub-group of Christian--the END OF DAYS Christian agenda.

The strong conservative support for Isreal is not because of the strong Jewish American lobby. Its because once they get all the silly Arabs out of the Holy Land, God's Old Testament promise of returning Jerusalem to the Jews will have been granted. With that off his plate God then can move on to the Rapture.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The pope is raptured away! The books depict the Roman Catholic pope as a saved man who is taken away in the Rapture. This is perhaps the most serious and dangerous error in all the books.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Dagonee:
quote:
The pope is raptured away! The books depict the Roman Catholic pope as a saved man who is taken away in the Rapture. This is perhaps the most serious and dangerous error in all the books.

Wow. Just... wow.
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, wow says it all.

----

I read them all, and beyond about book two-three I wouldn't say I enjoyed it.

But I'm no quitter.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, that's somewhat of a biased book review, eh?
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by El JT de Spang:
Yes, wow says it all.

----

But I'm no quitter.

That's pretty much how I felt about Mission Earth. I think I'll read the Left Behind series. The closest we have to such a thing is Murderer in the Mikdash, by Gidon Rothstein. It's a mild thriller that takes place in Israel not long after the Messiah shows up. It's a fascinating picture of what a transitional period might look like. Not quite as exciting as the whole Armageddon shtick, but interesting anyway.
Jeesh
Member # 9163

Hmmm...

I noticed two series. One about the kids. Has anyone read those?

Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it takes place during the same events as Left Behind, but is aimed at young readers.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by El JT de Spang:

But I'm no quitter.

I could say the same thing about "Dune".
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Me too.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Good golly, JT. I'll bet you read all the way to the end of "The Silmarillion", too.
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone read all of the Left Behind, Dune, and Mission Earth series? I think I would call for an intervention if one of my friends confessed to reading all 3 series through.
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

"Hello. My name is Tante, and I'm a compulsive reader."

"Hi, Tante!"

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

Never read Mission Earth, nor The Silmarillion.

But only because I never started them. If I started them, I would have been honorbound to finish them.

Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Haha. [Evil]

But in a group like that you'd need a 144 step program. Or would that only fuel the obsession?

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Morbo:
Has anyone read all of the Left Behind, Dune, and Mission Earth series? I think I would call for an intervention if one of my friends confessed to reading all 3 series through.

Dune and Mission Earth, yes. And the first ten books of the Children of the Lion series (it gets really dumb after the Exodus). I actually recommend them. They follow the families of the biblical patriarchs and a family of armorers (the eponymous Children of the Lion) from Abraham (in the first book) through the Exodus. The remaining 8 or so books take it up to David, I think, but they didn't hold my interest.

1. Children of the Lion
2. The Shepherd Kings
3. Vengeance of the Lion
4. The Lion in Egypt
5. The Golden Pharaoh
6. Lord of the Nile
7. The Prophecy
8. Sword of Glory
9. The Deliverer
10. The Exodus

Sterling
Member # 8096

I think trying to read The Wheel of Time is enough literary masochism for one lifetime.
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
Having barely gotten through the first Left Behind book, I would say if you're looking for a somewhat better written book that is closer to a Catholic end-times-y fiction book, try "Pierced By a Sword" it's an interesting read, and didnt offend my senses too much in higschool.
Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.