FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » DVD's versus Television - giving one up

Author Topic: DVD's versus Television - giving one up
Malakai
Member # 8731

- posted      Profile for Malakai           Edit/Delete Post 
After watching LOST, the last season of SIX FEET UNDER, and all of BATTLESTAR GALACTICA on DVD (except for the few eps of season 2.whatever that I downloaded from itunes), I can't imagine EVER following a weekly television series like I used to.

Watching them on DVD built a much bigger impact and I felt like I was able to understand the vision of each much better.

In fact, I know I never would have been able hooked into LOST each week (and with all those commercials breaking the dramatic tension). Thanks to the DVD, I am a fan.

Television has got to continue to morph - why do people continue to watch network tv (besides that it's mostly free)?

Battlestar Galactica has my vote for best show on television.

Posts: 17 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Malakai
Member # 8731

BTW...a friend just gave me the DVD to S1 for The 4400. The first 30 minutes seemed pretty bad. Is it worth continuing to watch.

The funny part to me is that my friend gave it to me because he thought the religion I was brought up in taught that 4400 people were going to rule in heaven. Close...144,000. Both numbers are definitely fiction. [ROFL]

Posts: 17 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
I much prefer watching TV on DVD as well. The cost is a bit of an issue, but there's not THAT many shows I find worth watching so it's okay.

The last time I saw a new weekly show that I thought was really cool, about the 3rd week of watching it I said "I can't wait for this show to come out on DVD!"

Of course, the problem being that I doubt networks are yet at the point where DVD sales alone will have them keep making new seasons. If nobody was watching the first season of something, it may not even get released on DVD. (Unless the small following is very vocal, a la Firefly, and even that was after the show was canceled.)

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Seatarsprayan
Member # 7634

- posted      Profile for Seatarsprayan   Email Seatarsprayan         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm the opposite, it's rare I'll watch tv shows on DVD. If my Tivo records a rerun of Futurama, I'll watch it. But to actually put in a DVD, switch the A/V system from Satelite to DVD, and play it, that takes too much volition.

I have movies on DVD that I never pull out and watch, but I watch 'em when the come on tv.

Posts: 454 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
"Battlestar Galactica has my vote for best show on television."

I preferred BSG season 1 over season 2. Season two had better episodes overall, but more bad moments than in Season 1. Don't get me wrong, Season Two still proves that BSG is the best show on TV.

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Malakai, welcome to Hatrack (I know, you registered a while ago, but you're only now beginning to post much).

We do have a couple of Witnesses at Hatrack (though fewer than we used to), and even if we didn't, making fun of other people's religious beliefs generally doesn't go over well here.

That said, on to the subject at hand: I've cancelled my cable; I just never found myself tuning in for anything, preferring to get my shows via Netflix. The only thing I miss is The Daily Show, and I can get most of that from ComedyCentral.com.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
I stopped watching tv some time in the early 80s. Since then, I have only seen it occasionally, like if someone wanted me to watch something. I've never missed it! I find my life is so much nicer now.
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I've considered cancelling my cable. The only thing I'd miss is Sci-fi, Comedy Central, the History Channel, and Cartoon Network. But most of that can be bought on DVD.

I doubt I'll have cable much longer. Just isn't worth the money these days.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
You can't get tv unless you have cable or satellite (or something on your computer) up where I live.

Which, I suppose, makes giving up tv easy enough, if you want to-- just cancel the cable.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
I get shows on DVD if they are reasonably priced...I really love it when walmart has their sales, and will sell them for 20 bucks (thats how I got Lois and Clark, and The Pretender). Though, if I really like a series (like Buffy) I'll pay up to 50 bucks for a set. If Ed ever comes out on DVD, I'll snap it up in a hurry.

I just hate the fact that some sets are so dang expensive.

I'd like to own the Voyager DVDs, but they are far to expensive...as are the Enterprise DVDs. I just don't see why those two shows are twice as much as say Lost.

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Walleo77
Member # 9361

- posted      Profile for Walleo77           Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Everyone. I thought I would do my first 2 cents here. I like dvd's when I can get them. I would/will get all the StarTrek series. I just have to do it over time. I have the Firefly series. Its pretty cool, no advertisments. Smalleville might be on the list too. If the TV show is good it's worth having.
Posts: 11 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I want to get the Star Trek series' too, and I plan to start with DS9, but for the moment, I can buy three seasons of other shows for what one of DS9 costs.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
There are a lot of legitimate seasons of DS9 on eBay for cheap, though you have to watch out for pirated and foreign versions.

Also, Sam's Club has them for a lot cheaper than retail (at least the one here does).

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
I get all the majority of my TV via Netflix--except for BSG, which I watch on iTunes delay. Haven't watched a TV show "live" since Buffy ended.
Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
By the by... all the FOX shows are currently half price at Amazon. Buffy, Angel, X-Files... and Firefly is back down to $24.97.

And if you do buy Firefly, consider waiting until June 23rd.

Meanwhile, I'm eagerly awaiting July when the same week will bring me Brisco County Jr, Animaniacs, and Pinky and the Brain on DVD. Woo hoo!

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Chris, that last sentence just filled my heart with joy. Animaniacs?!! I'm so excited. [Big Grin]

So can someone tell me WHY all the Star Trek series are so much more expensive than everything else? Are there more episodes?

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

I just got everwood off amazon for 16 bucks. Not bad.
Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Saem reason X-Files seasons were so expensive before they re-released them cheaper this year. Because they knew obsessive fans would pay it.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure that that's their thinking, but I'm not so sure that they're right. I know that if the DS9 DVDs were more reasonably priced I'd have bought them already. Surely there is a fairly large segement of the Star Trek watching market who enjoy the shows but aren't so fanatically devoted to them that they'll buy them regardless of the cost.

I mean, I'm sure Paramount did market research before setting their price, but it seems counter-intuitive to me that pricing the DVDs so high would be a lucrative strategy.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Malakai
Member # 8731

I don't have cable television at all anymore (I'm a poor student and prefer film to television usually).

I watch all my television on DVD through Netflix. Watch the shows in a collection and without commercials has given me a new appreciation for some shows.

Off topic, but my MP3 player has had the same effect. I'm discovering and rediscovering so much!

Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

I think that's why new versions with slimline cases are being released now. X-Files came out a few months ago, Buffy just came out last week or the week before. Although the slimmer, cheaper X-Files re-release left out the extras this time. I guess they made the discs weigh too much or something...
Lupus
Member # 6516

now if only Ed would be put on DVD

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.