FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » webhost/scripting questions

Author Topic: webhost/scripting questions
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
Two things:

First, does anyone know of a free webhost that has support for scripts like cgi/perl and php? I hear Freewebs is pretty good, but I'm just fishing around at the moment.

Second, can anyone suggest an example of simple, open source forum software (in other words, something I can learn from and/or use?) phpBB looks solid, but it has a lot of extra features I probably wouldn't need.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
What features does phpBB have that you wouldn't use? yBB is also free, as is Invision powerboard. Those three are the most popular.

I can vouch for phpBB's ease of use. It also has a lot of skins available, and is pretty easy to customize.

I don't know about free hosting, though.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Invision hasn't been free in a while. If you want to install it now, it costs you about $70, if I remember correctly.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.freewebspace.net/
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Huh, my mistake. I guess the free version I was looking at was, um, not quite legal.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
SMF (Simple Machines Forum) is a very good forum application which requires PHP and MySQL.

Doteasy has free hosting, but there free plans don't include php and mysql.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

quote:
What features does phpBB have that you wouldn't use? yBB is also free, as is Invision powerboard. Those three are the most popular.

I can vouch for phpBB's ease of use. It also has a lot of skins available, and is pretty easy to customize.

I don't know about free hosting, though.

Probably private messaging, polls, things like that. I'm told that the big advantage phpBB has is that its code can be easily edited, though.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

Oh, and the last thing I'm wondering is if there's a way to set up a sandbox on a local computer like this one (you know, a place where I can play around and learn how to script things before I actually upload it somewhere).

--j_k

HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
Look at XAMPP if you want perl, you can just add it, since I don't think it actually comes with perl. You can also download just the parts you want, ie, down apache, perl, php and install separately from their respective sites. Depends on your needs.
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

quote:
Probably private messaging, polls, things like that. I'm told that the big advantage phpBB has is that its code can be easily edited, though.
I guess the better question would be 'What's the drawback of having a free program with too many features?' If you don't use them, you can disable them. Granted, this takes editing the code or the styles, but it's not that tough. phpBB has a very active support community. I bet if you head over there you can find a way to set up a machine copy without too much trouble.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.