FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » One-Handed Receipt and Change -- The Anti-Customer Service (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: One-Handed Receipt and Change -- The Anti-Customer Service
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll admit it: I'm in a pissy mood, and I have been for the past week or so. But this is something that has irked me for about 20 years now, and I was just wondering whether anyone else shared my annoyance.

It used to be that you'd go to a store, pay the cashier, and he or she would give you your change. You'd put the change in your wallet, and the cashier would hand you your receipt.

But then something changed. Somebody came up with the idea -- and I don't know, maybe it was to save time, or something; maybe out of concern for repetitive stress of some sort -- that the cashier should take the change out of the register, then grab the receipt with the same hand, and hand you the whole bundle.

So there you are, standing there, with your wallet in one hand, taking your change+receipt with the other, and you have no way to conveniently deal with any of it. You have to put everything down first to sort it out. Or else stuff everything into your wallet, indescriminately, and deal with fixing it later.

This morning, I stopped at the CVS near my work. The cashier actually started to hand me my money, bills and coins, and then remembered, and went to grab the receipt with the same hand. I put my hand out, and as she dumped the wad into my hand, caught the coins and let the bills and receipt drop to the counter. While I put the coins in the coin part of my wallet, she picked up the bills and receipt, and again handed them to me together.

I took the bills and let the receipt drop to the counter, and said, "Do they tell you to do that?"

"Hah?" she grunted.

"I'm holding my wallet, right?" I tried to explain as she held out the receipt again while both of my hands were involved with putting the bills into the wallet, closing it up, and returning my wallet to my purse. I held the bag open so that she could put the receipt in it, and continued, "So what am I supposed to do with a handful of bills, coins, and a receipt?"

She sort of dropped the receipt near the opening of my bag, but seemed confused. And looked past me and called, "Next person in line!"

I know that cashier isn't a job that calls for rocket scientists, but I wonder whether it's even the fault of the cashiers. Are they instructed to do this to customers by their bosses? How did this ridiculous custom spread in the first place?

Inquiring minds want to know.

[ June 15, 2006, 01:20 PM: Message edited by: starLisa ]

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure why you couldn't just put the receipt in your wallet.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
Its one of the reasons I've almost completely left the world of cash behind. I use my debit card for almost everything. I generally just leave a little cash on hand to tip with, so the waiters don't have to claim as much for taxes.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Stephan:
Its one of the reasons I've almost completely left the world of cash behind. I use my debit card for almost everything. I generally just leave a little cash on hand to tip with, so the waiters don't have to claim as much for taxes.

That pretty much sums up how I do things.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
I say during the transaction that I don't want a receipt. Then I stuff all the bills and coins in my pockets.

Ah, pockets. The lazy girl's wallet.

Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with ya, Lisa. I charge most things but there are times, like if I'm eating fast food and don't want to charge four dollars, that I pay with cash. I really hate standing there wishing I had a third arm.

Usually I set stuff down on the counter and reassemble my wallet and make everyone wait till I put it back in my purse.

It doesn't change their procedures at all though.

Pix

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
That doesn't annoy me near as much as the people who ignore my outstretched hand and drop the cash, coin, and receipt on the counter, where I have to scrap it off.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by starLisa:

I know that cashier isn't a job that calls for rocket scientists, but I wonder whether it's even the fault of the cashiers. Are they instructed to do this to customers by their bosses? How did this ridiculous custom spread in the first place?

Inquiring minds want to know.

I've worked as a cashier, and I can tell you that I wasn't ever "instructed" in much of anything. I think the most training I ever got in any cashier position before I got let loose on customers was maybe fifteen minutes, and no one ever told me anything about receipts other than that if a customer told me that they didn't want a receipt I was to ignore them and hand it to them anyway. Which I mostly ignored, because I often don't want a receipt for a purchase that I know I'm not going to return.

The thing that really bugs me, even more than change and receipt together, is that no one ever counts change back any more. Cashiers just hand you a wad of bills and coins. I think this goes back to the cash registers that tell the cashier how much change to give back (I'm old enough that in my first cashier job, those registers had not gone into use yet), but as far as I'm concerned, that's no excuse. Even when I've used registers that do that, I always counted the change to the customer. Now, when I stop to see what change I've been given to make sure that I was given the correct amount I get these looks like, "What? Don't you trust me?" Well, no, I don't actually.

They get even weirder when I discover that they've given me too much change and I want to give back what isn't actually mine. How this even happens with the new registers, I don't know. All they have to do is pull out the amount that the register tells them to. A couple of times, cashiers have actually refused to take back the extra change, at which point I refuse to feel guilty about the trouble they're going to get into when their drawer doesn't balance at the end of their shift.

Which brings up one of the things I really hated about one of the places I worked. They only had a separate drawer for each register, not for each cashier, so they had no way of knowing who was responsible when a drawer didn't balance. Their solution? Just write up everybody who used the register that day. Nothing like being held responsible for someone else's mistakes. [Wall Bash]

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shmuel
Member # 7586

- posted      Profile for Shmuel   Email Shmuel         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Exactly. I'm not seeing the problem here, nor why holding up the works would be an advantage.
Posts: 884 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
What I don't like is that they set the coins on top of the bills. If the bills are on top then I can curl my hand around the coins while I put the bills into my wallet and then drop the coins in the coin pocket. If the coins are on top I have to use both hands to sort money.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
I mainly just get annoyed when other people get annoyed over things that don't matter. [Wink]
Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
I am somewhat dismayed at how much it will throw some cashiers when I give them a penny or a single to make the change come out even.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

- posted      Profile for BaoQingTian   Email BaoQingTian         Edit/Delete Post 
Hehe kate, I do that as much for the panicked look they get on their faces as much as I do so I get a quarter instead of two dimes and 4 pennies back.

They look at the change, the amount on the register, me, back at the change, and get that deer in the headlights look.

Posts: 1412 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

- posted      Profile for BaoQingTian   Email BaoQingTian         Edit/Delete Post 
Does that make me a sadist?
Posts: 1412 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
When I worked with cash, I always kept a look out for people who would hand me extra change. It really helped keep the drawer balanced.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by dkw:
What I don't like is that they set the coins on top of the bills. If the bills are on top then I can curl my hand around the coins while I put the bills into my wallet and then drop the coins in the coin pocket. If the coins are on top I have to use both hands to sort money.

Exactly, and then they get annoyed when you're trying to sort out your money because you're holding up the line.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sharpie
Member # 482

- posted      Profile for Sharpie   Email Sharpie         Edit/Delete Post 
One thing that usually works is to present my hand palm down. I take the receipt. Then I take the bills. Then I turn my hand over to take the coins. They can't dump it all in my hand at once if my hand is not palm up. This REALLY helps in drivethrough lanes, too.

This is definitely a real problem.

Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Now, when I stop to see what change I've been given to make sure that I was given the correct amount I get these looks like, "What? Don't you trust me?"
"I've taught middle school math. No, I don't trust you. In fact, even though I know the devil box did all the computation for you, I don't trust that you can add coins together properly to equal the answer handed to you on a digital platter."

Thing is, in this day and age, you might just as easily have that cashier say back, "But sir, I have an MBA."

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:

Um... because I have money in one place, and I don't want to have to go through a wad of receipts to get money out? And maybe I'm anal, or maybe it's just because I used to be a bank teller, but I keep my bills in order, to make them easier to get to. Receipts don't really fit.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Zeugma:
I say during the transaction that I don't want a receipt. Then I stuff all the bills and coins in my pockets.

Ah, pockets. The lazy girl's wallet.

The only skirts I have with pockets are my jeans skirts, and denim is verboten where I work.
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Sharpie:
One thing that usually works is to present my hand palm down. I take the receipt. Then I take the bills. Then I turn my hand over to take the coins. They can't dump it all in my hand at once if my hand is not palm up.

So you select things out of their hands? That's brilliant! I have to try that.
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The only skirts I have with pockets are my jeans skirts
I just had a "Hot Jewish Mom in Denim Skirt" moment.

Which, given that I have zero idea what you look like, I find hilarious.

Oddly, I find myself picturing a more mature version of Faye of QC, probably because I reread the entire archive in the past week.

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Great strategy, Sharpie. Thanks!

----------------

Lisa does a very good sexy librarian look, in my opinion. Lovely dark hair full of body, Suicide-Girl smart glasses, and a wry twist to her lips. That's what I remember from her photo, although she may see herself differently, I suppose. *smile

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The thing that really bugs me, even more than change and receipt together, is that no one ever counts change back any more.
This is because, in most cases, they can't. They don't know how. My first job was clerking at a retail store. My manager was a real stickler about things, and one of her requirements was that we count change back. I admit I was never very good at it, but I was capable of it. So for years after that, when I went somewhere and the clerk didn't count my change back, I'd get annoyed. One time I was someplace where I was the only customer and I tried to teach the clerk how to count change back, and seriously, she just didn't get it. She didn't understand that if I gave her a ten for $4.60 worth of stuff, the change was NOT $6.40. Four plus six is ten, she insisted. I finally gave up my crusade for counting back change.

I don't like when they stuff the receipt in with the change, but it's not too huge a deal for me. I put all my cash and change in the same little coin purse, so it's not too big a deal to stuff the receipt right in with it. Once a month I pull all the receipts out and throw them away. Occasionally, it has saved me to do this, since I found I wanted to return something and found the receipt right there in my coin purse.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, if I saw that exchange, I'd say that the customer was the one being the jerk. The poor kid is just trying to give you your change and receipt, and you keep intentionally dropping things... I'm glad I don't work retail any more.

Here's an idea. Put it all into your wallet and take the receipt out. Or, rest the wallet on the counter, and you have two hands.

You could even say, "Would you put the receipt in the bag, please."

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Here's an idea. Put it all into your wallet and take the receipt out. Or, rest the wallet on the counter, and you have two hands.
Here's another idea: the point is not to make life harder on the customer, but to make it easier. It's called customer service, and it's revolutionary. You know why it's important? Cause if your store doesn't do it and your competitor does, you're gonna lose business to them, all other things being equal.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

quote:
Here's another idea: the idea is not to make life harder on the customer, but to make it easier. It's called customer service, and it's revolutionary. You know why it's important? Cause if your store doesn't do it and your competitor does, you're gonna lose business to them, all other things being equal.
Exactly.

It is the right of every customer to expect a high level of service.

(It's also the right of every retail employee to bitch about their customers!)

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OSTY
Member # 1480

- posted      Profile for OSTY   Email OSTY         Edit/Delete Post 
The hand of the receipt was instructed to me when I was a cashier. It was a counting back method at that time. If the total was 16.45 you handed them the receipt and said 16.45 then the change and said 17 and then counted out each bill..18, 19, 20. But that has gone to the way side too which I really dislike.
Posts: 224 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jaysedai6
Member # 8856

- posted      Profile for jaysedai6   Email jaysedai6         Edit/Delete Post 
The one thing I remember from taking a class to become a bank teller. was always ask how they wanted their money. and no ones ever asks. someday when I want $100.00 in cash and they hand me 2 fifties or 5 20s, I am going to smile and say I wanted it ones.
Posts: 28 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeni
Member # 1454

- posted      Profile for Jeni   Email Jeni         Edit/Delete Post 
They hand you everything in one giant clump because they're working a boring job at $7 an hour and quite frankly don't care whether it makes things difficult for you or not. They just want to get on to the next customer as soon as possible.

As for counting back change - half of customers probably want this done, and the other half just want their money. When I worked as a cashier in high school, I counted back everyone's change for the first couple days and and was yelled at rather rudely by customers more than a few times to "just hand it over." You just can't please everyone.

Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I also have trouble with this (as presented in first post), especially in drive through fast food where they lump it together first AND the bag of food, and can't understand why you can't take it all at once so they can hurry the line.

I use my debit card much of the time, but at drive thrus where they take the card inside the window, they always bring it back with the receipt wrapped around my debit card, which really annoys me.

But not enough to really make a comment or stink about. I deal with it.

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What I don't like is that they set the coins on top of the bills.
This does annoy me. Since I put my receipts in my wallet, I like getting it with the bills, though.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celaeno
Member # 8562

- posted      Profile for Celaeno   Email Celaeno         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm one of those who'd rather they not count my change back to me. I always feel pressed for time, and I trust my ability to eye what they give back to make sure it's correct.

The one thing that does bug me, though, is when I try to make ordeal go by faster, only to receive confused looks. This happened the other day when I gave the cashier $12.15 for something that was $6.65. She repeated "$6.65" and when I continued to try to hand her my $12.15, she looked at me like I was stupid and just took the ten dollar bill out of my hand. She handed me $3.35 in return. Argh.

Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

Okay, I don't think I understand why you'd give her $12.15. Maybe $11.15, if you wanted a $5 bill back, or $10.15, if you didn't mind singles, but what did you want back for $12.15? One of those singles is just going to come back to you.
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
jay: say you wanted 50 twos!
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jaysedai6
Member # 8856

- posted      Profile for jaysedai6   Email jaysedai6         Edit/Delete Post 
will do that, years ago, a place my dad worked. payed everyone in two dollar bills, to make the town realize what effect the business had on the local econ.
Posts: 28 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
This is the kind of everyday annoyance that bothers me not at all. What is the point of getting all in a bunch about something so small? Laugh, move on, and be happy.

You know stuff that does get me bothered? When someone backs into me a the parking lot and breaks the tail light of my car, when my kid is out and didn't let me know where, when my patients need nursing care and their insurance company won't pay for it, and, oh yeah, people who are talking during davening. I just hate that.

But a receipt with the change? My blessing to you is that this should be your biggest problem.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

quote:
Okay, I don't think I understand why you'd give her $12.15. Maybe $11.15, if you wanted a $5 bill back, or $10.15, if you didn't mind singles, but what did you want back for $12.15? One of those singles is just going to come back to you.
????

11.15 would get you four singles and two quarters.

12.15 gets you a five and two quarters.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I always say, just type the amount into the cash register and do what it says.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Astaril
Member # 7440

- posted      Profile for Astaril   Email Astaril         Edit/Delete Post 
Of course, if you work at a place without a till that does that (or at a Tim Horton's, where it's so busy you can't wait to see what the customer gives you before someone else needs the till), you can't.

I had no idea so many little things annoyed customers. Give the cashiers a break! I hope those of you who *do* get really annoyed at least explain your problems to them, rather than letting them be perplexed about why you take your hand away so quickly every time you come in, making them drop the change all over the counter.

That said, the coins on top of the bills always annoys me too, because my hands are small so I have to do a balancing act to get it to my wallet without dropping everything.

Posts: 624 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
You know what annoys me, is when I'm in line at the store, and someone in front of me feels the need to get all uppity at the cashier and make everyone else in line wait while they cause trouble.

Give me a break, the cashier slightly inconveniences you by giving you the change and receipt at once, and you feel that it's your duty to be intentionally rude to the minimum wage worker and make everyone in line behind you wait while you prove your point?

Way to go! You sure showed them! [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Stephan:

How does that help them with taxes?
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celaeno
Member # 8562

quote:
Originally posted by erosomniac:
quote:
????

11.15 would get you four singles and two quarters.

12.15 gets you a five and two quarters.

Right.
Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celaeno
Member # 8562

Oh oh, another shopping thing that bothers me: when both of the people in front of you in the 15 Items or Less line at Safeway has obviously more than 15 items. I didn't think running in to buy a half gallon of vanilla ice cream for my milkshake would take more than ten minutes.
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Lyrhawn, if you tip on the credit card, there is an official record of how much the waiter received. I believe that at the end of the year those tips get automatically reported. If you tip in cash, there is no record of it, and the waiter is more or less on their honor to report the tip accurately.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I prefer the change on top of my bills. That way, I can curl the bills ever so slightly and easily slide the change into the change pocket of my wallet. When they put the change in my hand first and then the bills on top, so I can't see all the change, something is always bound to fall out.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeesh
Member # 9163

- posted      Profile for Jeesh           Edit/Delete Post 
They ususally give me the receipt with the bills, and then the change. When they do give it all together, I slide the change into it's pocket, then put the bills in my wallet. It doesn't bother me.
Posts: 1164 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dawnmaria
Member # 4142

- posted      Profile for dawnmaria   Email dawnmaria         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to agree with Tante. If this is your biggest problem, good for you! If this is how you judge customer service then I am glad to be home with my little girl and no longer in the retail trenches. I promise 95% of the time the cashier is not trying to irritate you. No one I ever worked for trained you on how to give back the change and for one company I was a training manager so I would have had to teach it. I look for a pleasant attitude, a helpful nature and a smile. If I have to sort my bills out in the car I can live with that.
Posts: 601 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Icarus:
Lyrhawn, if you tip on the credit card, there is an official record of how much the waiter received. I believe that at the end of the year those tips get automatically reported. If you tip in cash, there is no record of it, and the waiter is more or less on their honor to report the tip accurately.

Oooh, I was working under the assumption that the server in question wasn't lying to the restaurant they serve in.

At my restaurant (and I'd always assumed ALL restaurants), there's something called tipshare. Basically, they take all your sales from the day and assume a percentage of tips based on the sales, and you are taxed for that regardless of how much you actually made. Getting all your tips in cash only allows you to skim a certain amount off the top anyway, assuming the server in question was dishonest enough, and willing to risk their job to do so. Undereporting is cause for immediate dismissal where I work.

I don't think you're really doing them any favors by leaving cash instead of credit card tips. Besides, most people tend to tip higher with cards than cash anyway (on average).

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
I became a cashier at Publix two months ago so here's my 2 cents. First of all, they don't tell you anything about the whole "hand the change, then the receipt, then the bills" issue. I've always wondered why all cashiers hand back the change after they give you the bills. But when I buy things I just stuff everything into my pocket and sort it out later so it never bothered me. But when I was training, which is only 2 or 3 days of cashiering for another cashier, as opposed to any official training, I asked the cashier about it and he said it didn't matter. Now, I hand back the receipt, bills, and then change, but it's only because I've never had a customer complain or even seem annoyed and that's how all of the other cashiers do it. I figured there must be a reason why it's easier for the customer that way. But if it is easier to hand back change first, I think I'll do that from now on. But honestly, they don't give you an official training on how to be a cashier. The only official training I got was watching videos on things like being nice to the customer and other things that are common sense.
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.