FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Bush Protects the Environment....Seriously! I'm Not Kidding!

Author Topic: Bush Protects the Environment....Seriously! I'm Not Kidding!
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Bush Creates largest marine sanctuary in the world

quote:
WASHINGTON (AP) -- President Bush created a vast new marine sanctuary on Thursday, extending stronger federal protections to the Northwestern Hawaiian Islands and the surrounding waters with their endangered monk seals, nesting green sea turtles and other rare species.

The nation's newest national monument covers an archipelago stretching 1,400 miles long and 100 miles wide in the Pacific Ocean. It's home to more than 7,000 species, at least a fourth of them found nowhere else.

Bush announced his creation of the nation's 75th national monument at a White House ceremony. The decision immediately sets aside 140,000 square miles of largely uninhabited islands, atolls, coral reef colonies and underwater peaks known as seamounts to be managed by federal and state agencies.

Expanding the existing reserve and refuge to a monument of 140,000 square miles will make it the largest no-take marine conservation area in the world, just ahead of the Great Barrier Reef in Australia.

Hooray! It's like he was channeling Teddy Roosevelt, which is something I never thought I'd say about Bush. Good job Mr. President!
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Yup. It was a pleasantly surprising news report. It's a bit ironic that I'm the one pointing this out, though: President Bush would be hard pressed to find a site that is both larger and less offensive to industrial / commercial interests.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Kaczmarczyk
Member # 9067

- posted      Profile for Robin Kaczmarczyk   Email Robin Kaczmarczyk         Edit/Delete Post 
His record is still not very good tho.

I am very happy with his aproach to the border, which is timed. I have a strong feeling he will back a strong push to dissolve the border in 2012, and that makes me feel good about him.

But his environmental record is awful.

However, there ARE some changes in him which are wonderfully promising. Almost makes me want to be a Republican, were I not such a hardcore Green.

Posts: 379 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if he actually did anything at all. Was this area threatened in any way?
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theresa51282
Member # 8037

- posted      Profile for theresa51282   Email theresa51282         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not a fan of the President but for I am happy to give him kudos on this subject. Hopefully, the environmental protection will continue.
Posts: 416 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawshank
Member # 8453

- posted      Profile for Shawshank   Email Shawshank         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Stephan:
I wonder if he actually did anything at all. Was this area threatened in any way?

The article reads that the area was home to at least 1 endangered species and a source of life for a good-sized portion of the Pacific Ocean including very rare species. This seems to me to say that if for some reason the area was damaged then a great deal of the biodiversity of the Pacific would be jeopardized.
Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by theresa51282:
I'm not a fan of the President but for I am happy to give him kudos on this subject.

Seconded, on both points. The cynic in me says that doing something like this gives the GOP something to point to if the Democrats field a candidate who tries to make environmental protection a major part of his campaign (say, Gore, just for the sake of argument), but even if that's true I'm still happy to see the sanctuary established.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Both Bushes did stuff like this all the time, Noemon. Fret not. It will all be forgotten by election time.

Pix

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
It'd be interesting to see a list of the various things like this that the past, say, five presidents have done. It'd also be interesting to see when in their term(s) of office such things were done.

You'd need to set it alongside a list of tightening and loosening of clean air requirements and the like, of course.

[ June 16, 2006, 12:21 PM: Message edited by: Noemon ]

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
It doesn't need to be forgotten in order to simply pale in comparison to all the damage he has done. [Smile]
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I am no President Bush Fan.
I also applaude this deed, and though it has not won me over to his side, I hope he listened to the moving speech he made while dedicating this.

The cynic in me says, "Ah, but discover oil under those fish and see how long it lasts." While that is amusing its unfair.

Thank you President Bush.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:
quote:
Originally posted by theresa51282:
I'm not a fan of the President but for I am happy to give him kudos on this subject.

Seconded, on both points.
Thirded.

[Edited: or Fourthed, or whatever.]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
Woo!

When I was in Hawaii there was a monk seal laying on the beach, and they had roped that area off so people couldn't bother him.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Clinton did this I think a dozen times, between creating new national parks and monuments, and expanding old ones. He took major heat from the GOP for doing so. And I'm pretty sure that all of his were done on land, not water. And I believe it was fairly spread out through his presidency.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.