FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Lake House *now with spoilers*

Author Topic: The Lake House *now with spoilers*
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Very enjoyable film. Sandra Bullock and Keanu Reeves are the ultimate long distance lovers...time, not distance separate them.

Don't work yourself into a tizzy trying to figure why or how the time warp happens. That's what many of the professional reviewers seem to be doing.

It's a fantasy. A charming one.

[ June 17, 2006, 02:45 AM: Message edited by: Puffy Treat ]

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I like Sandra Bullock.

I could do without Keanu Reeves.

Although I did hear that he shows suprising depth as an actor in this one.

If so, I welcome the improvement.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Yes! He shows actual emotion, with depth, expression, and vulnerability.
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh, I heard about this! [Smile]
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
R. Ann Dryden
Member # 8186

- posted      Profile for R. Ann Dryden   Email R. Ann Dryden         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw "The Lake House" tonight.

I loved it.

I noticed while I was watching it that the plot was predictable, and I saw the end coming from near the beginning of the film. Yet this didn't bother me. Normally it does, but I think in the romance genre, plot isn't as important. I was so caught up in the characters and their stories that nothing else mattered.

I think it's the same type of reason why I re-read Pride and Prejudice every couple years, or a select few other really good romances. Of course Mr. Darcy and Elizabeth will be together in the end, yet every single time I watch or read it, I practically hold my breath waiting for that moment; it's never stale for me.

Anyway, for any of you who like good characters and romance, I highly recommend "Lake House". Though, if high-speed action is more your thing, this movie is not for you. It's gentle and moody.

The basic concept is that Sandra's character has just moved out of her lake house. She leaves a note for the next tenant asking that any mail she receives be forwarded to her new address, and apologizing for dog prints on the walk - they were there when she moved in. Keanu gets the letter and reads it, but is mystified because there are no dog prints on the walk. A couple of days later a stray dog runs through his paint tray while he's painting in front of the house, and leaves prints on the walk. He writes back to Sandra and the two of them begin a letter correspondance. They soon realize that Keanu is in 2004 while Sandra is in 2006. The mailbox is their conduit. The story develops from there, and is never false to its basic premise. (Well, I was never thrown, anyway. I am a big sci-fi fan in general though).

Another thing that I really liked about it is that it was totally clean. No smut and very little language. That never happens in Hollywood anymore, so I was very pleasantly surprised. It's the type of movie I plan to buy and watch over and over in the years to come.

Posts: 180 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
R. Ann Dryden
Member # 8186

- posted      Profile for R. Ann Dryden   Email R. Ann Dryden         Edit/Delete Post 
The above post is not intended to contain spoilers, by the way. All the information I give is revealed in the first 5 minutes of the movie.
Posts: 180 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Really? I really want to see it, but then the reviews have been awful, so I wasn't sure. I like that everyone seems to have liked it, though. [Smile]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
R. Ann Dryden
Member # 8186

I think that most of the reviewers are not used to science fiction.

When a non-genre reader encounters a sci-fi plot, they often scratch their heads and get very frustrated. Genre readers are used to the rules of the universe being bent at the beginning of the story, and the plot following logically from that bend.

I am an avid speculative fiction reader, and I had no problem with the 'rules' of the movie. I thought the plot didn't break them after they were established.

Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

The majority of negative reviews seem to be from those fixated on the impossibility of the premise.

It's a fantasy. Of course it's impossible. [Smile]

Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
I pretty much felt the way Ann did about it, but there was at least one key plot point that I was irritated with--something major that I thought Sandra Bullock's character would have figured out way earlier in the story than she did. I won't say more because I don't feel like doing the whole spoiler warning thingy. But hey, it was a sweet romance and an enjoyable chick flick, and I thought both actors gave good performances. It gets my thumbs up!
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

If you're talking about what I think you're talking about, by February 2006 she had not yet received the letter that clued her in to the fact that she'd already met Wyler, and thus should have recognized him when he *censored*. [Wink]
Uprooted
Member # 8353

OK, now I have to do this:

***SPOILER WARNING!!***

(Although I'll still try to put it in semi-vague terms) But by the time he *censored* she had already had a very emotionally charged interaction with him at the party, even though she didn't know who he was. She would have recognized that magical guy from her past--especially with all the energy she put into helping him! I'd also be surprised if she didn't know the name of the man she'd tried so hard to help. And then when she did figure out her mailbox man was the guy from the party, then she'd know . . .

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amilia
Member # 8912

- posted      Profile for Amilia   Email Amilia         Edit/Delete Post 
On the review front: both Ebert and Roeper liked it.
Posts: 364 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Keep in mind the film was only rated PG, so we didn't see what condition his face was in after *censored*. It may have been badly beaten up, swollen, or otherwise unrecognizable.
Uprooted
Member # 8353

Puffy, that's the one explanation I was able to come up with. I just wish the idea had been addressed.

But I did enjoy the movie. I thought the birthday party scene was fantastic.

I mean, I wondered why the big eagle couldn't have dropped the One Ring in Mount Doom instead of sending Frodo in to do it--and that is hands down my favorite story, ever! (yeah, yeah, I know, until the Ring was destroyed even an eagle probably couldn't have gotten past Mordor's defenses . . .)

Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Anyone see the original Korean film this was based on? Is it any good?
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
Wouldn't the big eagle have been just as tempted and open to the corruption of the ring as every other ring-bearer had historically been?
Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
SOrry, you guys can get back to talking about Keanu again and his *censored* face.
Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.