FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Personal trainer?

Author Topic: Personal trainer?
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
So my boyfriend and I just booked the reservations for a cruise.

...but if I'm going to spend a week running around in a bikini, I kind of want to tone up. But at the same time, it's been a while since I lifted weights, and I'm also unmotivated.

I really want to hire a personal trainer to whip me into shape between now and August 10, but I'm not sure where to look or what to look for. I looked up information on a few local gyms, but none of them seem to have one-on-one training. There isn't a Bally's. [Frown] Can I just like...hire a personal trainer separately somehow?

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Are you still near your school?

Many schools make the gyms available over the summer for a small fee, and many have student personal trainers who charge very reasonable fees.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you called or visited and asked about personal trainers at the local gyms? (I wasn't sure what you meant by "looked up" information--sometimes a phone call can give you info a website can't.) Looked up "peronal trainers" in the yellow pages?

Does this help?

Good luck!

Or this?

(although Dagonee's suggestion about trying the gym at the university sounds like a good one)

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I feel certain that any gym big enough to have weights offers some sort of one on one personal training. I've never seen a gym that doesn't, which isn't to say it isn't possible.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cheiros do ender
Member # 8849

- posted      Profile for cheiros do ender   Email cheiros do ender         Edit/Delete Post 
From the yellow pages link,

http://www.x-trainers.com/

Under the right set of photos.

I'd suggest going to all the different gyms in your area and trying them out. They offer free tryout sessions, don't they?

Also, for toning up I suggest spinning. I used it to get back in shape to do Capoeira again. Only took about two weeks (6-8 classes) to have the desired effect. And there's no ill effects from no longer doing spinning as long as you maintain your fitness.

How long until the Cruise?

[ June 17, 2006, 01:39 PM: Message edited by: cheiros do ender ]

Posts: 1138 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

Two months.

I did ask at some of the gyms, and while they have trainers THERE, they only train groups, not one-on-one. I thought it was weird.

I'll look into the university gym thing.

I just found this listing. I might drive by there and see what it looks like.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck! I just started swimming for my cardio, and it's doing a good bit of muscle training as well, it seems, from the soreness. [Smile]

I guess if it gets too easy later on I can add swim fins and those gloves with webbed fingers. It feels really good and I can trick myself into going by telling myself while I'm driving there that I'm just going to get into the hot tub to help my sore muscles. Then after I do that I can tell myself I'm just going to paddle around in the water outside, to relax and cool off, then when I get there I tell myself I'm just going to do a few laps to warm up my muscles, then I end up swimming for 45 minutes. [Big Grin]

I love the sunshine, too. I'm going to an outdoor pool. The sunshine and the exercise are making me feel really happy. (Combining muscle toning, cardiovascular fitness, and brain chemistry control in one easy package.) [Wink]

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Things I like about swimming are that it gives you a good balance of upper and lower body conditioning, unlike running, elliptical trainer, skating, and all the other things I do for cardio. Also, it doesn't pound my feet, which are delicate and need to be pampered, since I'm diabetic, or else they will pout and run away from home (i.e. be amputated) eventually. [Smile] Another thing is that it doesn't seem to hurt my joints like running, I guess because of being zero impact.

Things I don't like about swimming are getting the chlorine all over my skin and hair. (I wish I had a real lake to swim in.) And getting wet another time each day. I should probably just do my regular shower and hair washing post-swim, but I like to bathe when I wake up, to get me awake.

Let us know if you find a good trainer, and how it goes.

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

Yeah, I have that problem with a lot of cardio; my legs get all muscley, but my arms don't at all. I was thinking maybe of a rowing machine. I kind of want to drive by this place before I call them, for some reason. Just to scope it out.

-pH

pH
Member # 1350

By the way, how long do you swim at a time?

-pH

cheiros do ender
Member # 8849

- posted      Profile for cheiros do ender   Email cheiros do ender         Edit/Delete Post 
So has this turned into a general gym training discussion thread? 'Cause I will probably use it for that if it is.
Posts: 1138 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

I guess so. [Smile]

I have just started a week ago, but so far I swim about 45 minutes. Or until I get tired. I stop and catch my breath whenever I need to, for now. Hopefully soon I won't have to anymore.

Tatiana
Member # 6776

I can feel a huge difference already. It feels great.
BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

- posted      Profile for BaoQingTian   Email BaoQingTian         Edit/Delete Post 
pH-
Be very careful in selecting a personal trainer. Even the certification is not a guarantee that they know what they are doing. If you have a friend that's knows a bit about fitness, have them go with you to interview the personal trainer.

For example, any trainer worth their salt should be able to tell you the difference between fast twitch and slow twitch muscle fibers. If you get a trainer that doesn't know what they are doing, they could not only not help you progress, but set you back and cause injury.

Posts: 1412 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

- posted      Profile for BaoQingTian   Email BaoQingTian         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh one more thing. I think it was you pH that was asking about body fat percentage measuring scales in another thread. I just bought one Saturday, and so far so good. It was about $40 at Walmart. The brand is Taylor. So far I'm impressed with it. You input your height, age, gender, and fitness level (pro-athlete or non). You stand on it and after a few seconds it spits out your weight, BF%, and water %. It's not perfect, but by taking measurements at the exact same time every time (like first thing in the morning, after using the restroom but before drinking anything) you can increase the precision.

There's a decent review and picture of it at Epinions just in case you're interested. I'm preferring it to the caliper method because it's quicker, easier, and less of a fudge factor, at CT put it.

Posts: 1412 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

Well yay. I finally found a trainer, and I like her a lot. Turns out, I'm in much better shape than I thought I was, and she said that I actually do have the body type to be able to get nice muscle tone and sweet abs, especially since I already have a flat stomach. Seriously, she was so encouraging that I'm about to jump on my bike and go ride all over uptown. And I'm 19% body fat, which is honestly a lot better than I thought.

AND she has scoliosis (although a bit milder than mine), and she knows how to stretch one side of the muscles and build up the other, so maybe my spine'll straighten a bit.

Which would put me over 6'. [Razz] Which would rule. Anyways, I'm really happy now, and I'm really glad I finally did this.

-pH

Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay pH!

I had a personal trainer for a month, just finished last week even. I had been doing cardio at the gym but hit a roadblock where I wasn't improving. So I got this great guy to teach me the proper way to do weight-training and help me build a routine, including a way that makes it good cardio too.

I only had ten sessions with him but I've built some muscle and have gotten alot stronger (my posture has never been better with all these new back muscles haha.)

So yeah, personal trainers are awesome. Especially the ones with the motivation skills to keep you going when things get hard. I'm heading back to the gym tomorrow and I'm going to miss all the trainer/trainee banter and having someone to whine too when my arms go numb.

Have some fun and get strong!

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

How do you motivate people, in general? It's an awesome skill to have! A personal trainer needs that skill above all else, I think.

I would also like to learn it. My boss I work for now is excellent at it, and I feel so fired up to get stuff accomplished there, plus it is really fun being at work. I would like to be in a position to be a project leader on larger projects, in the future, and I am leading half a dozen or so people right now, and I really want to learn how to inspire people to do their very best work on my jobs. Also, I want to know how to foster a spirit of fun and excellence in our workplace.

What tricks and tips do people know for doing this? Have you had bosses who inspired you, or bosses who killed your enjoyment of the job? What was it they did or didn't do that tipped the scales in either direction?

The one thing I notice about my excellent boss now is that he makes me feel appreciated, powerful, and capable. I'm not sure exactly how he does it, but I know that he does.

Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
The three biggest things I personally recognize and appreciate in a good motivator are:

Honesty - people can tell if someone is just trying to sugarcoat a tough situation. If the motivatee if feeling overwhelmed, don't dismiss those emotions. Recognize the situation for how it is and then you can work through it.

A calm but passionate personality - it may seem that "passionate" is the opposite of "calm" but really its just about controlled energy. Often someone needs motivation if they're overwhelmed or feeling defeated. There are few impossible acts in the world and when we give into things, its usually out of fear or lack of confidence. A motivator should be slightly detached emotionally so as to act like a stabilizer and a center for those around him or her, but still involved enough that the motivatee can use them for support.

Role Model - when one is a good person, that goodness spreads. My personal trainer at the gym was once a heavy guy. But through exercise and diet he turned his life around and uses the practical knowledge and his experiences to help others. I got hints and tips from him that didn't come from textbooks. He was proof that while things were hard, I would get stronger and I could keep going. His attitude was always positive and his professionalism was evident. I felt like I was in good hands and his presence was often inspiration enough. If we're trying to achieve an end, represent the goal and show confidence in success.

Hope that helps any.

Shanna

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

It really helps for me to have someone recognize that I'm competent at whatever it is. So for me, it felt really good to have this personal trainer, who is in AWESOME shape and female (because girls tend to be so much more critical) tell me that I already have a good body. It helped build up my confidence so that when she brought up, say, getting a six pack, I actually though it might be possible and got super excited about it. I mean, I've wanted a six pack since I was twelve, and I never thought I could actually get one, and now I'm like, "YEAH! LIFTING WEIGHTS! GETTING MUSCLES!"

-pH

Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Now you just need a montage. That alone will rocket you to success.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
I've started going to the YMCA, and they have a personal trainer service there, free to members. There are several different ones, male and female, young and old(er), and I was introduced to the weight machines by a wonderful older lady who exactly met my needs.

I just wanted to build my general health and bone strength (not worried about abs or free-weights or anything), and a little hottie of a trainer (male or female) would be intimidating and a poor match.

Elaine is strong and healthy, but not...your traditional 'fitness nut'. She's about 60, a grandma, and is so so so encouraging. She's sweet and mean ('it's too HARD, Elaine' 'you're doing GREAT, let's add another ten pounds') and perfect...for me.

I've seen the other trainers at the Y, and most of them are hotties (even the older ones). They are all fine and competent people, but Elaine works for me.

I've just spent this whole post complimenting a person you all will never meet. Sheesh.

The point? The YMCA and other gyms often have trainers for free or as a free trial to see if you can get the correct 'fit' for you. In fact, I joined the Y after a free trial membership, which turned out great because I am cheap (and lazy) and never would have believed that I am spending actual money on a monthly gym membership (and even going!).

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

quote:
Originally posted by Rakeesh:
Now you just need a montage. That alone will rocket you to success.

We're gonna need a montage! (Montage!) Even Rocky had a montage! (Montage!)

-pH

pH
Member # 1350

Okay, I need some help. The trainer told me today that she figured out, based on body fat and age and whatnot, that my body will go into starvation mode if I eat less than 1650 calories a day. So I have to figure out how to eat more. Because I really don't think about food all that much, and she said that McDonald's is not an acceptable way to meet my calorie threshold. The thing is, a lot of times I'm really just not hungry. But until I get at least 1650 calories a day, I won't be able to get rid of the body fat because my body will be starving.

Today, I've eaten:
Scrambled eggs, a little bit of hashbrowns, and half a piece of wheat toast.
A smoothie with extra protein.
2 pieces of Starburst.
2 of those little square-shaped mini Snickers.
3/4 a glass of light cranberry juice.
And half of a footlong Subway chicken teryaki sub.

And I can't finish the damn sub. My stomach is full. I can't eat any more. I'm going to save it in case I get hungry later, but gah.

I'm considering trying to start drinking more calories, like maybe having a glass of orange juice every day or something. I just don't know. Maybe I'll start snacking on cottage cheese.

How can I get more healthy calories (especially protein) while staying between 1650 and 1850 a day?

-pH

cheiros do ender
Member # 8849

I don't normally have much oif an appetite, but whe there's a long cooking delicious meal in the other room (kitchen) the smell usually gets my appetite going pretty quick. Likewise with Subway Sub's being made right in front of me. [Big Grin]

Some other suggestions:

More, bigger Snickers.
Drink lots of red wine (that has calories in it, right?).

Okay, that's it.

How can you not get through a six inch Sub?

pH
Member # 1350

Snickers aren't exactly healthy, though. And I ate half of a foot long sub. Which means I ate a six inch sub. But I can't bring myself to eat the other half.

-pH

cheiros do ender
Member # 8849

What's your metabolism like? I'm going to be eating Snicker's this often a for as long as my metabolism will allow it.

Ah. Yeah I can NEVER get through foot longs, and so I've stopped trying.

pH
Member # 1350

I have a fast metabolism, but I'm trying to build muscle, and I really can't eat a lot of sugar. She told me to be careful of that.

-pH

kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you eat nuts, Fff? Nuts are a good source of protien and fat, especially peanuts. Or find a lunchmeat or cheese you like, and eat that for general munching. Salami and string cheese is my favorite snack of all time.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cheiros do ender
Member # 8849

Who or what is Fff?
pH
Member # 1350

I do like nuts, but not all the time. But I love string cheese. I generally end up, though, craving salty things for snacks, and nuts, even salted, are still nutty and not salty. Are pretzel sticks okay? Or, I don't know, those multi-grain Tostitos? I can't think of a good source of protein that's more salty than any other flavor.

I make a really good chip dip out of cottage cheese, but I haven't tried the multi-grain chips yet.

-pH

Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
Assuming you aren't really falling for the "Low carb" weight loss myth, whole grain cereals are usually really good sources of healthy calories. eat a relatively big bowl in the morning. Breads and pastas (again, whole grain) are also good ways to add extra calories if you need them. Snacking on granola bars can help as well, assuming you get the type that is sweetened with honey as opposed to regular sugar. I believe honey is a good bit healthier than processed sugars.
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Do you like milk, pH? Skim milk, like a quart a day of it or more, is a great source of protien for building muscles. You're right that there's totally no reason to work out if you don't give your body the raw material it needs to build the muscles that working out will initiate. Your diet sounds very low in protein, that list that you gave.

Skim milk is excellent. If you prefer you can add a bit of chocolate syrup to it. Or get Ensure or Carnation Instant Breakfast, or some other type of protein shake that you like. Watch out for the carbs, though. You want to keep those low.

Loren
Member # 9539

- posted      Profile for Loren   Email Loren         Edit/Delete Post 
I assume we're going to be getting before and after pics, pH?

I mean, I'm asking from a purely scientific standpoint.

Posts: 100 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aretee
Member # 1743

- posted      Profile for aretee   Email aretee         Edit/Delete Post 
You mentioned tortilla chips, make an avacado dip. That'll up your caloric intake, but in a healthful way.
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
I used to make a dip with guac, sour cream, beans, cheese, and salsa. You've got your protein, calcium, calories, all kinds of good stuff, and damn it tastes so good. I can eat about a pound of that stuff.
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

Hmmm. Avocado dip? How does one go about that?

I went to the store and picked up a few things. Orange-tangerine juice, single-service cottage cheese, those little 100-calorie packs of Ritz party mix, fruits and veggies, tuna, mini wheat bagels (I like to put chicken and turkey and tuna and cheese and olives and stuff on the halves and toast them in the oven). I tried to find some skim milk, but all the milk in the grocery store expires on Tuesday. [Frown] How much protein should I be eating per day?

-pH

aretee
Member # 1743

- posted      Profile for aretee   Email aretee         Edit/Delete Post 
We buy the pre-made pico de gallo and mix that in with some mashed avacados, garlic, salt, pepper and lime juice (to keep it from turning brown) and it GOOD. I can't eat avacados anymore as they make me VERY sick but I smell it quite often.
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by pH:
I tried to find some skim milk, but all the milk in the grocery store expires on Tuesday.

Did you try looking farther back? They'll have put the stuff that expires first in the front so people will buy that first.
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

quote:
Originally posted by MidnightBlue:
quote:
Originally posted by pH:
I tried to find some skim milk, but all the milk in the grocery store expires on Tuesday.

Did you try looking farther back? They'll have put the stuff that expires first in the front so people will buy that first.
Oh yes. I looked in the back. [Mad]

Fortunately, I just went to the drugstore and found some 1% that doesn't go bad until the 12th.

Today's food:
Footlong turkey and ham sub with cheese, olives, spinach.
Two halves of a wheat bagel, covered in tuna salad, fat free cheddar, and green olives.
A Ritz snack mix pack.
One of those creamy light yoghurts.
A Slim Fast.
A single-serving cottage cheese.

Which, according to Sparkpeople, is only 1491 calories. But 103 grams of protein!

Dammit. *goes to eat more cottage cheese*

Actually, wait. When I factor in what I've had to drink, it's 1770 calories. Okay. I'm good.

-pH

Tatiana
Member # 6776

Protein requirement to simply maintain your current muscle mass is 8gm/day/10kg of body mass. So if you weigh 110 lbs, divide by 2.2 to get kg and that gives 50 kgs. 50 kg times 8gms/10kg = 40 gms of protein a day for maintenance of current muscle mass. If you are trying to build muscle, then double that number.

You should try to get 80gm a day of protein. Skim milk contains 8 gms/cup. So if you drank a half gallon of skim milk a day that would provide 64 gms of protein out of your 80. Then if you got, say, three ounces of meat (at 7 gms protein per ounce), you'd add 21 more for 85 gms total.

3 oz. of meat is about the size of a medium chicken breast.

cheiros do ender
Member # 8849

quote:
I can't think of a good source of protein that's more salty than any other flavor.
Biltong.

Make it yourself. Put lots of salt on it.

I just realised. I have a camera. I will take photos. [Big Grin]

cheiros do ender
Member # 8849

The Biltong.
The box it's going to be dried in.

I just got it today. I've been slacking off from the gym and Capoeira a bit lately, but now I have this as my exercise energy source I should be set.

pH
Member # 1350

Tatiana, so that means at 135lbs, to build muscle I need to get 98 grams of protein a day?

-pH

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I can't think of a good source of protein that's more salty than any other flavor.
Beef jerky.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

135 lbs/ 2.2 kg per lb = 61.4 kg. 61.4 * 8/10 = 49 g protein just to maintain. Double that to build gives 98 g. Yep! You got it right! That's just a rough target. As long as you're well above 50 g a day you should be fine. Working out is such a lot of effort, that you for sure want the workout to be the limiting factor to muscle building, rather than the protein intake. Otherwise you're wasting effort. [Smile]
cheiros do ender
Member # 8849

How is beef jerky made? I'm trying to work out the difference between it and biltong.
pH
Member # 1350

An update: I'm feeling a lot better about myself already. I bought a body fat scale, but mine is I guess not so accurate; it keeps telling me I have 14% body fat.

I'm still having a little bit of trouble getting enough calories. Tomorrow I go in to use the weight machines (my trainer's schedule is booked until Saturday), and I'm scared. [Angst]

-pH

cheiros do ender
Member # 8849

I thought the problem for most females was that, supposedly, they got too much calories...

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.