FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Want to learn a wicked fun game?

Author Topic: Want to learn a wicked fun game?
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, here's your chance.

Who? Anyone, literally anyone, who wants to learn or who has already played and wants to play again.

What? The game is called mafia. It involves killing, lying, solving mysteries, forming alliances, and avoiding suspicion.

This particular scenario is science fiction convention mafia. Come dressed as your favorite character. If you want, you can play as a fictional nerd coming to the convention as your chosen character, or you can play as yourself in costume. Or you can play as the actual character (Summer Glau as River, for instance). Really, unless you want to come as Bill Clinton or Paris Hilton or Jack Ryan or someone equally reality-based, nothing is out of the question.

When? The game will be starting on Wednesday, July 5th. If you want to play, you must post a profile on or before Thursday, June 29th. We'd do it sooner, but I'm going out of town over the July 4th weekend, and I don't want to put the game on hold that long.

Where? GalacticCactus, Jon Boy's forum

Why? Make new friends, learn the thrill of the hunt (either from the hunter's or the hunted's standpoint), and learn a party game you can teach your real-life friends (though the game play is a bit different online than live). Besides, all the cool kids are doing it.

How? Register for GalacticCactus under your Hatrack screenname or the name of your character. Then read the mafia for newbies thread if you haven't played before. Finally, post your profile to officially sign up for the game. If we have enough players by June 29th, we'll play.

Let's get a great big group this time—the more, the merrier!

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omega M.
Member # 7924

- posted      Profile for Omega M.           Edit/Delete Post 
I played Mafia so much during my first few weeks of college that I never want to play it again. It is a neat idea, though.

Here's another good Mafia page (or, as the author calls it, Werewolf).

Posts: 781 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
It's quite a bit different online. For one thing, you can talk in private with other players. Just sayin'.
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

bump
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Dude, seriously, Mafia is the greatest.

But don't take my word for it -- here's an excerpt from a Muppet-Show Themed mafia modded by the Great and Wonderful Pat over a year ago:
quote:
It was six oclock on Wednesday. Two more days until the next Muppet Show. Beauregard never played a part on the show, but was desperately needed for his top rate custodial duties as well as being a good friend everyone could trust.

He'd only been gone a day, but it was easy to see he was already missed. Paper, wrappers and assorted garbage was everywhere... especially in the cafeteria where everyone was gathered... again.

This time, however, it was Gonzo who was in shackles... brought to face the eyes of every muppet in the room.

Scooter stood up next to Gonzo, looked wearily into the audience, then faced Gonzo directly.

"Gonzo, you have been charged and convicted of killing our tenderhearted Beauregard by smashing him in one of your stunts gone horribly wrong. How do you plea?"

"Does it really matter?" Gonzo spat back. "You're hell bent on killing me, what will my plea do anyway?"

"You're right, Gonzo. Let's go."

Scooter nodded to Sweetums, who fired up the Muppet Shredder 3000. Gonzo hung his head, resigned to his fate. He then deftly slipped his arms out of the shackles, shot a grappling hook to an overhead light, and started to ascend to an open window.

It would have worked, too, except the overhanging light swayed, then came loose — electrocuting the airborne Gonzo before dropping him directly into the maw of hte Muppet Shredder 3000. After several mournful cries, Gonzo was dead.

Here's another one that's even better:

quote:
Scuuter ves heertened vhee zee Svedeesh Cheff ves bruooght tu zee frunt ooff zee ceffetereea. He-a nefer felt reeght ebuoot thees gooy, und elveys hed a sneekeeng hoonch thet sumetheeng ves emeess vhee he-a sev heem velkeeng eruoond zee Mooppet zeeeter. Zeey vent thruoogh zee usooel prucess, und zee fute-a ceme-a beck in zee ebsuloote-a mejureety. Zeere-a ves nu vey tu meesteke-a it. Thees gruoop vunted zee Cheff deed. "Vell, iff yuoo're-a gueeng tu keell me-a, get it oofer veet," zee Cheff seeed. "I'fe-a nefer beee eble-a tu stund yuoo refulteeng mooppets unyvey. Lung Leefe-a Svedee!!!!!!" Veet thet, Scuuter und Sveetooms mufed zee Cheff tooerds zee Mooppet Shredder 3000. Veet hees hunds sheckled, zee Cheff tuuk throost zeem but intu hees punts, poolled oooot a cest irun skeellet und zeen smecked Sveetooms oon zee beck ooff zee heed veet it. Sveetooms scretched zee beck ooff hees heed, toorned eruoond und peecked zee Cheff up by zee neck. "Feenish it," Scuuter seeed. Und veet thet, Sveetooms cremmed zee Cheff heedffurst intu zee shredder. ** Need Skeeds.

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeesh
Member # 9163

- posted      Profile for Jeesh           Edit/Delete Post 
Please bow your heads a moment for Gonzo...

[Cry]

Posts: 1164 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peterh
Member # 5208

- posted      Profile for peterh   Email peterh         Edit/Delete Post 
It's been a long time since I played. I'll be free traveling during the play time but will be able to log in a vote regularly. At night especially. Perhaps I should.

For the record, it is as fun as SarMup and Brinestone say it is. [Smile]

Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

Here's a reminder to get your profiles written. Turns out I don't leave town until tomorrow at 6:00 p.m., so I'll extend the deadline until then. If you don't write a profile by then or talk to me specificically about making an exception, you don't get to play. And you really, really want to play. Like I said, it's wicked fun.
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
It is an enjoyable game online, though I'll be passing on this one.

Oh, and may we have another moment of silence for the greatly anticipated yet ill-fated DUNE mafia game. Someday...

"..."

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't really understand how the game works. What do regular players do (the ones besides the 4 special players)? The death of an unregistered person that starts the game, is someone told that they killed him? How often do we have to be online?
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
Can I post a profile by the end of today? Would you mind having a noob in the game?
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
Noobs make the game more entertaining, and everyone loves rooting for an underdog. So if you can make the profile deadline I'm betting they'd be happy to have you.

Typical Mafia rules as I can recall them (these may or may not be standard of applicable). Just keep in mind there are typically three sides: Good guys (including doctor and policemen), the mafia (including the godfather), and the assassin, who is pretty much working for themselves. The regular people try to kill off the mafia (or whatever they happen to be in the game) by voting to eliminate someone every turn. That person may or may not in fact be a good / bad guy of course, so defending yourself while accusing others is half the fun. You'll be assigned your "job" before the game starts. As a rookie, pray for 'standard citizen e' or 'mafia footpad #4'. It'll only take one or two rounds to learn the ropes and roles. Death scenes are written out and interesting (and normally entertaining and witty), occasionally contain hints and innuendos, and possible a bit of misdirecton if it's turning into a rout, one way or the other.

In the end, all you want to do is make sure you side has people left at the end who aren't members of the ghost lounge.

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

You vote each day to lynch someone. If you lynch all the mafia, you win (if you're a townie, the sheriff, or the doctor). If you are mafia, you need to kill everyone else to win. I think we will play without a serial killer (assassin in AW's words) this time for simplicity. Also, I think the serial killer tends to disadvantage the townies unfairly.
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

quote:
Originally posted by Brinestone:
Also, I think the serial killer tends to disadvantage the townies unfairly.

Yes, and kill me before the first day even starts. They're good at doing that too...

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.