FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Watering restrictions

Author Topic: Watering restrictions
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I should say watering ban. The state of Georgia has declared a drought, and my county has a total ban on outdoor watering right now.

I can't even tell you how much time, money, and energy I've put into planting flowers and veggies this year. *sniffle* I don't want to see them all die! Of course I understand the importance of compliance, and am just grateful that my livelihood is not dependent on the vagaries of the weather.

There's been a "thunderstorm" here for the past hour or so--as in, it's cloudy and I hear thunder rumbling--but just a few spatters of rain. I'm hoping it produces a downpour before it passes over, though!

What's the weather like where you are? Do you have a garden?

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
'Tis a nice cool 107F here today (which, is in fact cooler than it has been).

We're in the middle of both our dry season, as well as our two decade drought. No watering restrictions yet other than scowling neighbors and common sense (daylight hours with 7% humidity means that pretty much nothing you spray water on will actually be able to use any of said water.)

And so far, the prevailing winds haven't brought any of the smoke from the dozen wildfires into the valley yet, though they sadly are burning up a fair bit of the wonderfully scenic Sedona area.

Oh, and since the untimely demise of my meager herb garden, I have various cacti and agave as flora companions.

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I keep waiting for people to figure out that America isn't habitable south of the Mason-Dixon line, but it never seems to happen.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
Hah. Try living in the South-East of England, where they've imposed a watering ban, despite the fact that it pretty much rained every day in May. Apparently, we live in a green and pleasant desert. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom: The South is wonderful except for a few poison pills. I'd still be there if I was straight.

I personally prefer it to be a little warm in the summer than freezing to death in a blizzard in the winter.

Of course, the best place on earth, weather wise, is the bay area. You just have to be able put up with the politics. (and with having a mayor that's going to jail.)

Pix

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
airmanfour
Member # 6111

- posted      Profile for airmanfour           Edit/Delete Post 
It's friggin' HOT in Augusta. Even the breezes are nastily hot. I thought it rained pretty hard last week, though. I guess it all evaporated in the friggin' HOTness.
Posts: 1156 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

Well, as far as I'm concerned it wasn't habitable until the advent of widespread air conditioning, but it's a pretty nice place to live now! After NY and Utah winters, I'm with Pix that I don't mind the hot summers so much.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
In Indiana we have all of your rain.

I'll try to talk it into heading down south.

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

- posted      Profile for Euripides   Email Euripides         Edit/Delete Post 
It's getting into winter here in Sydney, Australia. We have a water shortage problem here, so our water restrictions are pseudo-permanent. Luckily we've had some wet weather recently, but I'm not sure the water fell into the catchment area, which is where we want it.

I hope your garden can rough it out [Wink]

Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going back home to Arkansas this weekend, and I always re-discover how very green it is compared to the deserts of Utah. Tons of new growth forests growing practically right up to the edge of the highways, and the evening humidity where you could barely take in a deep breath while you're outside watching fireflies. But they've had some really dry seasons, and it's not near as green as it used to be. [Frown]
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
We had almost 2 weeks straight of rain here in NY. An' on my way from MI to NY last night we had plenty of rain the entire way. Lots of lightning too.
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
We're having scatter t-storms all week here in NY. You can have our rain. I wanna observe some stars while it's still dark time. Then again, weather.com says there's a 90% chance it's raining right now. But I'm sitting typing this while a ccd is taking pictures of the sky, so what do weather people know?
Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I love the South! For me it's too cold here in Birmingham, and I want to move closer to the equator. I am amazed that anyone would spend more than one winter in the north. Snow is pretty but it should melt after one day max. [Smile]

Here it was 99 today, with a 20% chance of thunderstorms that didn't materialize. We need some rain, for sure, though it rained yesterday briefly a pretty good downpour. The hydrangeas are looking all wilted still.

I hope we don't have a drought this summer. We haven't had one in a while. Actually once hurricane season gets cranked up we should get plenty of rain, so no worries. [Smile]

[ June 23, 2006, 03:01 AM: Message edited by: Tatiana ]

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Had some CRAZY rain and lightning last night. It looked like a war zone with all the lights in the sky.

I can't remember ever having a water restriction here, other than ozone days, where people are only allowed to water their lawn on even or odd days, depending on their house numbers.

Sometimes I forget the benefits that come from living in a state surrounded on three sides by freshwater. And for that matter, we usually have fairly steady year round precipitation.

As for I think Pix, it was, who talked about freezing to death in blizzards...Last summer was crazy mild. We only had one or two major snow falls [Frown] I miss all the pretty snow! We barely even had a couple days below Zero with the wind chill. It was a very disappointing winter.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Last summer was crazy mild. We only had one or two major snow falls [Frown]
[Eek!]
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Exactly! Who would live up there? [Wink]
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
It's amazing how non-annoying cold weather is, compared to how freakin' annoying hot weather is. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with you, Tom. Although the Mason-Dixon line is a little high ... I could do North Carolina, or Virginia - in the mountains. But Florida is just unlivable in the summer. And it lasts so LOOOOONG. Add to that fear of hurricanes and it's not worth it!

People who have long winters don't have it much better, but at least there's school in the winter, and the kids are out in the summer when there's lots to go out and do. Here, we have beautiful winter days when the kids are in school - and they're free all summer when you can't breathe outside unless you're in the pool, and if you have no pool they're stuck inside all the time. GRRRRRR.

Happy medium ... just south of the Mason-Dixon line. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

quote:
Originally posted by JennaDean:
Although the Mason-Dixon line is a little high ... I could do North Carolina, or Virginia - in the mountains.

You know, I lived in the DC area for years, and I can't tell much difference between the summers there and here. I mean, hot and humid is hot and humid. The winters are shorter and milder here; that's the main difference as far as I can tell. So "in the mountains" is an important qualifier.

I grew up on Long Island in a home without air conditioning. Believe me, I suffered more through those summers than I do here!

Luet13
Member # 9274

- posted      Profile for Luet13   Email Luet13         Edit/Delete Post 
Chicago has had the perfect weather the past few days. There's been some rain, followed by humid heat, followed by rain, followed by cooling down. This has been great for all the flowers I planted. They are all looking so good and I'm soo excited watching their progress. My dad grows veggies and they are looking great too. [Big Grin]
Edited for bad spelling.

Posts: 511 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Hope you get some relief soon, Uprooted. At least I hope they let you water your vegetables -- that would make sense.

(In other words, I can see bans on water lawns (frivolous), washing cars, etc. etc. - but they should let you continue to water in order to grow food).

That's always a gripe around here during droughts - when they cut back on how much we can irrigate fields (growing crops) but we see people in the city watering sidewalks & streets (while attempting to water their lawns), etc.

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Uprooted:
Well, I should say watering ban. The state of Georgia has declared a drought, and my county has a total ban on outdoor watering right now.

That is what night time is for. [Smile]
Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I sure hope you're not encouraging Uprooted to do something against the law, Lupus.
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

Just found out that the ban was lifted -- we're back to an odd/even days system between (I think) 4pm and 10am.

You know, Farmgirl, strictly speaking I don't know if I'm supposed to be growing that tomato and zucchini plant in the front yard (stupid association covenants). I haven't checked the rules, just planted in a spot that's not too visible from the road and didn't trellis the tomato so as not to draw attention to it. So I don't know if they'd let me do outdoor watering to keep alive plants I'm not supposed to be growing!

Most of our tomatoes and peppers are on the back deck in containers, and darned if I'm gonna let those dry out.

Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Usually when there's a watering ban here hand watering is still allowed. They just don't want sprinkler systems running.

We actually do have a watering restriction on right now but it has a lot to do with all the homes and new people moving into the area and taxing a water system that was never meant to support so many people. We had rain last night though - the thunderstorms that didn't materialize for ak did materialize up here. (I'm about 30 miles north of Bham)

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It's amazing how non-annoying cold weather is, compared to how freakin' annoying hot weather is.
I think you got that backwards. Cold weather is nice for providing places to snow ski, but they're not meant to be lived in.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd really like the weather to hurry up and get to summer up here in Seattle, where it's 66 degrees at 1 p.m. right now. That's great, but the mornings when I leave for work are high 40s/low 50s, and it's really starting to get on my nerves!
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, snow is non-annoying.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
Well ... I will admit, "annoying" is not the word I'd use to describe those scenarios.
Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
BTW, I'd like to point out that it is currently 6 degrees cooler in my Arkansan home town than it is in my adopted home town of San Jose.

Sarcastic Muppet: Where in Arkansas are you from?

Pix

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate the idea of watering lawns. Vegetables deserve our water, so they can feed us. But grass? What Thorstein Veblen said about conspicuous consumption in 1902 still holds true today.

In fact, I'm kind of anti-lawn altogether. At least the kind that we have here in suburbia, with the forced monoculture of fescue, maintained with gasoline-powered mowers, fertilizers and pesticides that are detrimental to the environment, and a shameful waste of water.

"Hey, I have a plot of arable land, and I am so rich that I not only do not need to cultivate it, I can afford big chunks of my time and resources (or I can pay servants) to maintain its lush uselessness."

Bah!

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by zgator:
quote:
It's amazing how non-annoying cold weather is, compared to how freakin' annoying hot weather is.
I think you got that backwards. Cold weather is nice for providing places to snow ski, but they're not meant to be lived in.
Agreed!

Except I don't care much for skiing, so when I visit snow it's for sledding and snow fights.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm curious... if there is a watering ban, are you allowed to buy bottled water and water whatever you want? It seems that they're trying to save the local water, but that bottled water poeple buy for drinking wouldn't apply. Does it?
Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
Edited because I misunderstood:

Interesting idea Katarain. Sounds pretty expensive though. [Razz]

And in the cold vs. hot debate, I'm with hot. [Smile]

Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, expensive. But you could manage to save a small garden that way.
Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by zgator:
quote:
And since skiing is an unnatural abomination, there's no need for cold weather at all. [Smile]
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Dag, skiing on H2O is great! Just, sheesh, use the liquid kind! It's way softer when you fall! [Smile]
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It's way softer when you fall!
Not necessarily.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

I didn't say soft, I said softER. =) It can be really hard, but surely if it's frozen it's gotta be even worse, doesn't it?
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
When I learned to snowboard, I stuffed a scarf down my pants and wore roller blade kneepads. Falling no longer hurt.
Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
We had odd/even watering days the whole time I was growing up. I never thought it was that weird. Although it probably pissed off our neighbor across the street. He liked to stand out on his lawn in his underwear smoking a cigar while inspecting the grass. Seriously. He was really obsessed with the grass, and if he found a tree brand or something on the lawn, he'd move it to our property. Oh, and he'd stare at us a lot.

He is the reason I am unable to move around a dwellig unless all of the curtains are drawn; I always worry that I'm being watched.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Katarain:
I'm curious... if there is a watering ban, are you allowed to buy bottled water and water whatever you want? It seems that they're trying to save the local water, but that bottled water poeple buy for drinking wouldn't apply. Does it?

A better, and more cost-effective idea is to save "gray water" -- that is, the rinse water from your washing machine and dishwater, and use that to water the garden. Also, you can divert the roof run-off from your rain gutters and leaders to a covered rain barrel, and use that water.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toretha
Member # 2233

- posted      Profile for Toretha   Email Toretha         Edit/Delete Post 
If you're anti-lawn watering, what about watering trees?

Mind, we're in Louisiana, so this is more a consideration for us than most places, but watering trees helps keep them from falling on you in a big storm. And that aside, trees are good because they make oxygen for the air. If we can water vegetables that feed us, why not water trees that make our breathing air better?

Posts: 3493 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

It rained! It's still raining! The flowers are happy. And so am I, conspicuous consumer that I am [Evil]
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
It's raining pretty hard in Ithaca. Want some water?
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.