FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Happy Serenity Day!

Author Topic: Happy Serenity Day!
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Today's the day when the manic folks at www.serenityday.org are urging Browncoats everywhere to pick up another copy of Serenity to cause a spike in sales, thereby reminding the good folks at Universal that we're still out here and we still have cash to blow.

To make things easier, Amazon currently has it on sale for $11.88, so you have no excuse. Give it to a stubborn, Firefly-resisting friend, or a local library, or send it to a soldier. Keep it to loan out! And it's Joss' birthday today, and you know you didn't remember to get him anything...

It's also a way to help support Hatrack, since there's a handy Amazon link right up there.

In an unrelated event, there are screenings of Serenity in theaters happening across the world today and tomorrow (and yesterday, but that doesn't help you much) to benefit Equality Now!, Joss' favorite charity. Check cantstoptheserenity.com to find locations and buy tickets. I'll be at the Tampa one tomorrow.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool -- thanks for passing this along!
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkKnight
Member # 7536

- posted      Profile for DarkKnight   Email DarkKnight         Edit/Delete Post 
Can't stop the signal! or the purchasing....
I'll be at the King of Prussia event!
King of Prussia (philly)

Posts: 1918 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
The majority of the screenings haven't happened yet and so far the total is $11,667. Not abad little charity event, I'm thinking...
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
Darn, the screening in my area is at a terribly inconvenient time, so I'll have to miss it.

I will head out and buy FireFly though [Smile]

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
The one near me was yesterday, and started when I was at work. The only thing I really hate about the evening shift is it makes it really hard to catch movies.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

As of this morning, Serenity and Firefly are #2 and #3 in Amazon's DVD top sellers. I'd say Serenity Day had an impact...
Soara
Member # 6729

- posted      Profile for Soara   Email Soara         Edit/Delete Post 
Uhh wait, there's a BOOK of Serenity??? That's weird.
Posts: 464 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged
Member # 7476

- posted      Profile for Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged   Email Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged         Edit/Delete Post 
Let it go people...let it go.
Posts: 796 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
WtIP, if we let it go, it wouldn't be a cult!
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
It's a shame I didn't see this yesterday... I actually convinced myself to buy Serenity and Firefly for several hours yesterday. I fought the impulse off, however.
Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
Boo, hiss Wowbagger. If people don't support what they enjoy, it won't keep being produced, and all we'll be left with is infinite different reality shows.

I hope Joss gets to make a sequel. Serenity was great.

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kristen
Member # 9200

- posted      Profile for Kristen   Email Kristen         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I shall celebrate it belatedly by purchasing Serenity today. A perfect excuse to buy the movie.
Posts: 484 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Atlantis
Member # 8788

- posted      Profile for Atlantis   Email Atlantis         Edit/Delete Post 
Am I the only one who thought Serenity was a terrible film? I must be missing something...
Posts: 37 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't even seen the movie yet, I tried watching the series, but could only manage to catch one or two episodes because it was on at such an inconvenient time. And I've just never been moved to make the effort (or pay the money) to see the movie. *shrug*

NOt everything is appealing to everybody.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

Not necessarily. If you didn't like it, you didn't like it. No worries.

BTW - current estimates have the round of Serenity screenings bringing in over $47 thousand dollars for Equality Now, with final totals probably over $60k.

Hamson
Member # 7808

- posted      Profile for Hamson   Email Hamson         Edit/Delete Post 
It's just INSANE that Firefly and Serenity can be in the Top 10 on Amazon as often as they are, and that no one has picked up a contract for more shows or a new movie.
Posts: 879 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.