FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Harry Potter may perish in last book, author hints (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Harry Potter may perish in last book, author hints
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree. Dumbledore is dead because of Joseph Campbell - the mentor needs to die so the hero can truly be tested.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps.

Could Snape have been silent casting another spell while simply saying the words to the death curse?

They have mentioned about creating spells on your own and how it is something only the gifted and truely talented could accomplish. Could a spell that looks like the killing curse have been fashioned by Dumbledore or Snape in order to save Malfoy from the effects of failing in his mission. As far as Voldemort is concerned Dumbledore is dead and he has no reason to suspect otherwise. But then again when Sirius died alot of people formulated reasons as to why he was not really dead but hey as far as we can tell he is still dead even though his body is nowhere.

Also I do not think there has to be deep hatred for the target as the false Mad Eye Moody in book 4 cast the death curse on that bug. Did Barty Crouch Junior really have an intense hatred for that bug in particular? Or did he just have to draw on the well of hatred he had for his father, and other non death eaters to cast the spell?

Also if this is the case how is Harry going to defeat Voldemort without the use of the killing curse? Rowling certainly is not going to have Harry use hatred and emnity as a tool to help the hero vanquish evils figurehead. I hope its not going to be something lame like Harry reflecting the spell back at Voldemort.

Though it might be interesting (along the lines of Harry's scar is the last horocrux) that perhaps Voldemort thinks he has yet one horocrux besides Harry and in reality Harry is the last horocrux. Harry sacrifices himself and allows Voldemort to kill him this as a sort of Irony the 2nd time Voldemort tries to kill Harry he himself is killed.

But as a previous person posted (sorry too lazy to see who it was) I would love to have Nevill go in and finish off Voldemort and everyone finding out it was actually him that was being mentioned in the prophecy [Smile]

Harry would then go down in history as a hero and completely on his own merits rather than simply by being, "The Boy Who Lived."

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soara
Member # 6729

- posted      Profile for Soara   Email Soara         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I hope its not going to be something lame like Harry reflecting the spell back at Voldemort.
Actually, that's probably exactly what will happen...
Posts: 464 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Dumbledore is dead. That's the end of it. One point of the story is how Voldermort fears death so much he's willing to kill seven times to avoid it. Dumbledore on the other hand believes in facing death.
My only problem with the Snape being good theory is would Dumbledore really want Snape to kill him and have that on his soul?
But would he really beg for his life like that?

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe that to perform Avada Kedavra, it has been stated that "you have to really mean it." You have to want the person dead. I don't know if that necessitates hate or not.

I do like the "Snape was performing another spell" theory. But I still think Dumbledore's dead.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm thinking he hated Dumbledore for putting him in such a horrible position. That's why every inch of his face was filled with rage and anger.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bean Counter
Member # 6001

- posted      Profile for Bean Counter           Edit/Delete Post 
Could Snape make a Hourcrux for himself now? Is there a reason for him to do so.

BC

Posts: 1249 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure the conditions of the oath Snape took mean that if Dumbledore hadn't died, Snape would have. Of course, the phoenix theory still works, I really really hope it's not true; but I certainly don't trust Rowling enough to be convinced it's not.

I think Hogwarts will be closed as a school, but possibly open as a headquarters. I'm convinced that the final battle will take place at Hogwarts.

Spoilers from interviews and the like:

Mugglenet has compiled most of the information we know to be true of Book 7. I'm copy and pasting here for reference.

Character Information

* We will find out something "incredibly important" about Lily Potter
* We will find out who R.A.B. is
* We will discover more about Dumbledore's past
* We will discover where Snape's loyalties lie.
* Something will be revealed about Petunia Dursley, although it will not be that she is a Squib
* Viktor Krum will return (World Book Day, 2004 interview)
* We will see a reappearance of Dolores Umbridge - "It's too much fun to torture her not to have another little bit more before I finish." (MuggleNet/Leaky Interview)
* JKR has said, "There is a character who does manage, in desperate circumstances, to do magic quite late in life, but that is very rare..."

Plot Information

* Harry will face Voldemort for the final time
* Harry will be attempting to find and destroy Voldemort’s remaining Horcruxes
* Harry will return to the Dursleys' during the school vacation, but the magical protection Dumbledore arranged will expire on his 17th birthday when he comes of age
* Harry will visit Godric's Hollow
* There will be a reappearance of the two-way mirror
* We will see the wedding of Fleur and Bill Weasley
* The fact that Harry "has his mother's eyes" will prove to be an important plot point
* At least one character will die

Other

* The last word is expected to be "scar," but may change
* We will finally learn the full reason why some people become ghosts when they die and others don't
* The final chapter, which has already been written, will detail what happens to the characters that survive
* There will be no more Quidditch matches

Debunked rumors:

Character Information

* There will be no character named "Icicle," and JK said that she didn't recall saying there ever would be
* Dumbledore is not Harry's relative
* Harry is not related to Voldemort and he is not related to Salazar Slytherin
* Lily Potter is not alive
* Lily was not a Death Eater
* Crookshanks is not an Animagus
* Neville is not the son of Peter Pettigrew
* Remus Lupin does not have a twin brother
* Petunia is not a Squib
* Dumbledore is not Harry/Ron from the future
* Mrs Norris/Crookshanks will not be discovered as an Animagus

Plot Information

* Harry will not become Minister for Magic
* Peter Pettigrew’s silver hand will not kill Lupin
* Lupin will not return as a DADA professor
* The prophecy refers to Harry, and not in any way to Neville
* The final part of the prophecy does not mean Harry has to kill Neville, or vice versa

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Synesthesia:
Dumbledore is dead. That's the end of it. One point of the story is how Voldermort fears death so much he's willing to kill seven times to avoid it. Dumbledore on the other hand believes in facing death.

That doesn't necessarily mean that he would be opposed to faking his death if in doing so he could achieve the same effect as actually dying... I'm just saying, it's not like not fearing death is the same as wanting to die, or even not caring.

Still, I agree that he is probably dead.

Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soara
Member # 6729

quote:
* There will be no character named "Icicle," and JK said that she didn't recall saying there ever would be
* Dumbledore is not Harry's relative
* Harry is not related to Voldemort and he is not related to Salazar Slytherin
* Lily Potter is not alive
* Crookshanks is not an Animagus
* Neville is not the son of Peter Pettigrew
* Remus Lupin does not have a twin brother
* Petunia is not a Squib
* Dumbledore is not Harry/Ron from the future
* Mrs Norris/Crookshanks will not be discovered as an Animagus

*sigh* All of those ideas would have been sweet if they were true.

Anyway, I'm sure Rowling has read that list and went "Heheheh."

Posts: 464 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

They're all confirmed by Rowling, mugglenet got them off of her website or from her interviews.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soara
Member # 6729

quote:
Snape: [pointing finger] Do you know who your mother really was?
Harry: Don't you dare insult my mum!
Snape: She was a death eater!
Harry: No! It's not true!
Lupin: Yes, Harry. We never told you, but not you're old enough. It's true.
Harry: [falling to the ground, body in spasms] NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

Damn, I wanna write the 7th Harry Potter book!

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The final part of the prophecy does not mean Harry has to kill Neville, or vice versa
Why would anyone think this to be true?
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

Personally I couldn't believe that anyone would think Dumbledore was Harry or Ron from the future until I read the (extremely long and complex) rational behind it. Then, I still couldn't believe it.
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
* We will finally learn the full reason why some people become ghosts when they die and others don't
Has that one been confirmed since the 5th book? Because the lexicon still says that it may have been included in the 5th book instead.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
JKR has said, "There is a character who does manage, in desperate circumstances, to do magic quite late in life, but that is very rare..."
Ok, guesses: Petunia (which removes her potential squibhood), Mrs. Figg, Filch, Vernon (now that'd be a real shock!)

Anyone I haven't thought of?

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Petunia can't be a Squib; she's Muggle-born, remember? That doesn't mean she won't be the one to do magic later in life.

To the Dumbledore=Harry from the future thing, I can only say, "What the freaking heck?" There are so many ways that cannot be true... Why on earth would anyone come up with that?

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
The Dumbledore = Harry from the future theory to me just looks like just one of the billions of crazy theories people come up with.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
I was just waiting for Voldemort to say to Harry in their final showdown, "Harry, I am your father!" It is just a coincidence that Harry looks a lot like James.
Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
The theory on Petunia being a squib was fairly good. Saying that no, Lily wasn't a muggle born, and for some reason they decided not to live in the wizarding world.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Petunia gives that speech about how her parents were proud to have a witch in the family. I have always tended to think that both their parents were squibs. If they were both muggles it seems weird that they would have accepted Lily's witchhood with such pride.

In any case, if Petunia uses magic, she's not a squib.

My money's on Filch though.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

quote:
I'm pretty sure the conditions of the oath Snape took mean that if Dumbledore hadn't died, Snape would have. Of course, the phoenix theory still works, I really really hope it's not true; but I certainly don't trust Rowling enough to be convinced it's not.
I have a strong feeling that Fawkes will still play an important part though.
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
If the profecy can have nothing to do with Neville, why did she spend so much time writing that it might be?
Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

quote:
There will be a reappearance of the two-way mirror
What two-way mirror? They're not talking about the mirror of Erised are they?
blacwolve
Member # 2972

quote:
Originally posted by Glenn Arnold:
Petunia gives that speech about how her parents were proud to have a witch in the family. I have always tended to think that both their parents were squibs. If they were both muggles it seems weird that they would have accepted Lily's witchhood with such pride.

Hermione's parents seemed pretty proud of her....

The official page for the Dumbledore is Ron from the future

Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

quote:
If the profecy can have nothing to do with Neville, why did she spend so much time writing that it might be?
Not might be, but could have been. Voldemort has marked Harry as his equal in his repeated attempt to kill him. He just as easily could have marked Neville, since his parents defied him three times, and since Neville was born in the same month.

I think Rowling brings this up from time to time in order to point the irony that someone as timid as Neville could have been the only thing that could destroy Voldemort, or that circumstances might have given Neville different characteristics.

pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Rereading his "spoiler" review, I'm glad to see OSC gets the same sequelitis from Rowling that I get from him.

Maybe Snape said "Abra Cadabra" instead of the other thing.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.