FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Literary quote

Author Topic: Literary quote
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm trying to think of a quote, but I can't place it. It's something about the crimes of kings being played out by fools. It may be Shakespeare.

It has to do with parrellelism in a plot where a great person commits an offense, and in a subplot, a simpleton commits a similar offense, and to the great person, grave consequences result, and with the simpleton, the matter becomes a bit of a farce.

Can anyone think of the quote?

Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pelegius
Member # 7868

- posted      Profile for Pelegius           Edit/Delete Post 
Was it this?

quote:
History: n. An account mostly false, of events mostly unimportant, which are brought about by rulers mostly knaves, and soldiers mostly fools.
Ambrose Bierce
Posts: 1332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for trying, but it's a one liner, something like, "The errors of kings played out by fools." I don't know. I think Roger Ebert quoted it in one of his reviews of a woody allen movie. I'll track it down.
Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like something from Hamlet.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.