FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » So who else's been watching World Cup?

Author Topic: So who else's been watching World Cup?
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
Predictions?

France made a huge showing against Brazil today so the momentum may carry them through, and none of the other teams still in the running have been very convincing, in my opinion.

Still, I'm hoping for an Italy win so the US can at least say we tied the champs. Otherwise the very fake Italia jersey I bought will go to waste.

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I expect an Italy win since the refs seem determined to give it to them. [Wink]
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
The England-Portugal game today was sick. One of the most exciting finishes of the World Cup this year IMO, especially since I was rooting for England from the beginning of the tournament. I missed the Brazil game today because of work. Wow! I can't believe Brazil lost in the quarterfinals, and to France. I expected them to at least make it to the Finals.
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
Icarus,
yeah, I couldn't believe that last minute PK in the Australia game. What a way to win/lose.

Did anyone see the Portugal-Holland match? I was sure it was going to turn into a brawl. I don't think I've ever seen more cards thrown in a single game before. There was one point where a Portuguese player did a flying cleats-first kick to the chest of a Dutch player, sending him spinning through the air. It looked even worse than the elbow McBride got in the US-Italy game, but the Portuguese guy only got a yellow. Craziness.

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raventh1
Member # 3750

- posted      Profile for raventh1           Edit/Delete Post 
Germany.
Now that Brazil is out, I'm pretty sure Germany is going to win. No one has been playing to the level that Germany has been playing to this cup.

Posts: 1132 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amira tharani
Member # 182

- posted      Profile for amira tharani   Email amira tharani         Edit/Delete Post 
How galling for 10-man England to play so well against Portugal and then lose on penalties! GRRRR!
I predict a Germany-France final and I think that home advantage will favour the Germans. That said, momentum is with the French after the victory over Brazil... should be exciting though!

Posts: 1550 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so sad England is out....

[Frown] [Frown]

I am head over heels for Beckham...

Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amira tharani
Member # 182

- posted      Profile for amira tharani   Email amira tharani         Edit/Delete Post 
Did you see he resigned as Captain? In all honesty, I wasn't that surprised - I thought he'd do that after the World Cup one way or another, it's just a shame that we didn't get a bit further.
Posts: 1550 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I saw that...sad. But he had a good run. I'm curious to see what happens under the new coach.
Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it'll be a Germany-Portugl final, but, really, it could be any team in the end. I'd be happy if either of those teams win - as long as Italy doesn't win, I'll be happy, though.

Odd how it's all European now. Wonder if the crowds affected that somehow.

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Loren
Member # 9539

- posted      Profile for Loren   Email Loren         Edit/Delete Post 
As long as Italy wins, I'll be happy.
Posts: 100 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Angiomorphism
Member # 8184

- posted      Profile for Angiomorphism           Edit/Delete Post 
As long as Italy doesn't win, I'll be happy. I predict a Germany/France final, and like someone said before, I think the home crowd and the shear level of recent german play will favor them.
Posts: 441 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Loren
Member # 9539

As long as Italy wins, I'll be happy.

(I have to keep saying it for each time the opposite is said. You know, just to balance things out.)

Posts: 100 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soara
Member # 6729

- posted      Profile for Soara   Email Soara         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm rooting for Portugal, just because that would be random and different.

I'm so happy the semifinal games are on July. 4--I have off work and can actually watch them live! Best timing ever. And a great way to spend annoying national holiday.

[Party]

Posts: 464 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
same here, Soara. IIRC, the other three have won before. I was really hoping for someone new htis time.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Hoping that *THEY* don't win

[Angst]

[ July 04, 2006, 01:01 PM: Message edited by: plaid ]

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
Germany will win. Duh.
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Loren
Member # 9539

Woo-hoo!

That is all.

erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Joldo:
Germany will win. Duh.

Duh, eh?

^_^

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
*not surprised* [Wink]
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.