FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Gripe about people's inability to think critically

Author Topic: Gripe about people's inability to think critically
TrapperKeeper
Member # 7680

- posted      Profile for TrapperKeeper   Email TrapperKeeper         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw a promotion for a TV show where they were going to be searching for, and hinted at finding, Atlantis. One of the clips showed an individual who was supposedly a scientist or someone of some distinguishment saying, " There is now more evidence that Atlantis existed than there is evidence that it did not exist."
I just wanted to throw the nearest brick at the TV. Luckily, I do not keep bricks in my living room for just that reason.

It is impossible to have physical evidence that something like Atlantis did not exist. I do not count writings from thousands of years ago to be evidence one way or another. The man was implying that atlantis MUST be out there because the evidence for it outweighs evidence against it.

This particular program was going to be on the Sci Fi channel I believe, which right there tells you it shouldn't be taken seriously, but still, it bothers me. While I do not have any examples, I'd bet you could find similiar stupid comments on TLC or discovery channel as well.

Posts: 375 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
the only way I don't claw my eyes out while watching the majority of ads on tv is that I've managed to mostly turn off the logical side of my brain while watching TV...

It's still there, and often still screams loud enough from the cheap seats that I'll take issue with things like this but for the most part my life is a lot happier just ignoring it in this case.

Every once in a while when I actually pay attention to this kind of stuff it's depressing because it makes me think that the majority of the population must have an IQ of about 3. And trust me, this example is very weak compared to most of the idiocy out there.

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
If talking to an atheist historian, I'm sure they would say Atlantis is no different then the stories in the bible. No absolutely direct evidence exists to support or deny its existence.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TrapperKeeper
Member # 7680

- posted      Profile for TrapperKeeper   Email TrapperKeeper         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought about giving that example Stephen, but didn't want to go there. Without hijacking the gripe though, I'd say its true for many things in the bible, especially old testament.
Posts: 375 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
But Atlantis must exist. They said so on the TV.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
But, Atlantis does exist. I have proof. I watch it every Friday Night on the Sci Fi channel.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It is impossible to have physical evidence that something like Atlantis did not exist. I do not count writings from thousands of years ago to be evidence one way or another.
If you were really critically thinking, you'd count ALL the evidence, and assign it appropriate weight. [Wink]

And it is definitely possible to have evidence that something doesn't exist. Otherwise how would you ever know when to conclude something doesn't exist? For instance, the fact that my parents told me I only have two siblings is pretty good evidence that I don't have a third one.

Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TrapperKeeper
Member # 7680

Tres, are you being serious or joking?
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think Tres' example is a great one. However, to play devil's advocate, a mother dying in childbirth is pretty good evidence against the existence of younger siblings from that mother running around.
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
Right, but it far from being a conclusive assumption, FlyingCow-san.
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

Are you saying that if my mother died giving birth to me that I could have younger siblings running around - short of having a twin removed postmortem? (I'll even grant frozen embryos... but what if I was 80?)
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

Time travel.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TrapperKeeper
Member # 7680

yeah, thats a pretty good example flyingcow. however, I still cannot seem to conceive of any physical evidence for the non-existance of Atlantis.

Written or verbal accounts are not considered physical evidence.

TrapperKeeper
Member # 7680

and keep it within the realm of possibility. No sending satellites back in time to take pictures to show that nothing was there or anywhere
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
They did just that in Pastwatch, didn't they?
Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TrapperKeeper
Member # 7680

Yup. More or less anyway
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

I can think of specific examples of evidence for non-existence of Atlantis, but not general ones. For instance, it's possible to say "I have evidence that Atlantis could not have existed here," I would think. I just can't see any way of saying you have evidence that it didn't exist at all.
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by TrapperKeeper:
Yup. More or less anyway

Are you suggesting that Pastwatch was fiction?
Lisa
Member # 8384

FlyingCow, of course no one can prove that Atlantis didn't exist. But consider what it implies. An advanced civilization existed in prehistoric times, but left not the slightest perceptible mark on the world. It's not that it's not possible; just that it's not very plausable.
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by starLisa:
FlyingCow, of course no one can prove that Atlantis didn't exist. But consider what it implies. An advanced civilization existed in prehistoric times, but left not the slightest perceptible mark on the world. It's not that it's not possible; just that it's not very plausable.

Well, if your entire civilization was on an island, and the island sank/exploded, I don't imagine much would be left.
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

Oh, I'm not saying I believe it existed, or don't believe it existed. I was just talking about the ability of someone to prove a negative.

Proving extraterrestrial aliens that look like dragons don't exist in the general sense is different than proving an extraterrestrial alien that looks like a dragon doesn't exist in my sock drawer.

I can probably gather evidence that Atlantis was not in my backyard, but I can't see any easy way of showing that it didn't exist period.

Lisa
Member # 8384

So maybe Atlantis was in the Mediterranean basin before the Atlantic broke through Gibraltar. Has there been a survey of the surface of the bottom of the Med?
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

There's been some speculation that the story of Atlantis actually came from the island of Thera, now called Santorini.

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3

This may be what they're going to discuss on the television program.

Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
I still like the Tantalis theory.
Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
On a similar note, I saw a documentry on "The Science of Superman" which other than being quite interesting in a non-scientfic way (I now want to see the new Superman movie, so I guess the marketing scheme worked).

Anyway, they clearly asked the scientists to put as much positive spin on their statements as possible.

quote:
This violates all the laws of physics that we are aware of, but who knows? There may be things we don't know yet.
This kind of thing makes me laugh.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Want help with your critical thinking?

www.skeptic.com

I signed up for their newletter and have yet to be disappointed.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Atlantis was actually Antarctica prior to a crustal shift caused by the growth of unbalanced polar ice caps.

The resistance to the Kyoto protocols is actually the work of an ancient secret society dedicated to preventing it from happening again. Al Gore is funded by another ancient secret society dedicated to getting the crust to shift back so Atlantis will rise again.

Everyone knows that.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.