FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » "Dead Man's Chest" sets new box office record...

Author Topic: "Dead Man's Chest" sets new box office record...
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
It may have crossed the $100 million mark in only two days, which has apparently never been done before.
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
That's pretty crazy. I knew it would be huge. The theater I went to for the midnight showing had 12 theaters playing it (at midnight) and most of them were almost full, if not completely full. And I talked to someone today who was turned back at the box office because it was sold out.
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
I tried to get tickets for a Sat. showing in Seattle on the Wednesday before, and every theater within about 15 miles of Seattle was sold out through the weekend.

Oh well. I got to see Superman Returns at the IMAX instead. [Big Grin]

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pelegius
Member # 7868

- posted      Profile for Pelegius           Edit/Delete Post 
Sequal to much loved film + bad time of year for family films= huge sales.
Posts: 1332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
It's broken several records. Most in a weekend, most in a single day, and fastest to $100 million.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genius00345
Member # 8206

- posted      Profile for genius00345   Email genius00345         Edit/Delete Post 
I work at my local 8-screen and we sold out our biggest screen (226 seats) with it.

That was our first sellout since we've been open (May 19- DaVinci Code day)

Posts: 206 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
I got to the theater at 9:50 (stupidly) expecting to get tickets for the 10:15 showing. There was one playing almost every 15 minutes so when we found out that one was sold out we weren't too dissappointed. We got tickets for the next earliest showing that wasn't sold out: 11:15! At 9:50 we were buying tickets! Insane. And we started standing on line to get into the movie at around 10:25 and we were near the end of the line.

Note: this is the most popular theater in my area and it was Friday night, but still, that was insane.

Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamson
Member # 7808

- posted      Profile for Hamson   Email Hamson         Edit/Delete Post 
I work at one of the nice theaters near my house, and it's been CRAZY. For the weekend we've been having shows every 15 minutes, and we even had two showings at the peak times of 7:30-8:00 because the first ones were sold out. First time I've seen most of our theaters close to full for the whole day (Our smallest ones hold around 250 and our biggest hold around 450-500).
Posts: 879 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ginol_Enam
Member # 7070

- posted      Profile for Ginol_Enam           Edit/Delete Post 
I, also, work at a movie theatre, and every showing on Fridya and Saturday were sold out, and most of the showings in morning/afternoon hours were sold out or pretty close to.

This is including our CIne Capri, which seats 600 people. Sold out. We also decided, in the middle of the day, to switch another theatre to start showing Pirates at the same time as a different theatre; there was so much demand. Its been crazy.

Posts: 450 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Damn. Amazing.

I didn't think it was THAT good, but then, it doesn't really have to be. It just has to have broad appeal across all demographics to bring people into the theater, and this does.

Most of my friends loved it, but my brother's friends all thought it was adequate at best, but they are all expecting the third movie to be the "be all end all" in general. Thus, I can only wonder at how the finale will do. I think everyone who found this movie to be just okay will still go see the second half to find out how it ends, and everyone else will see it for sure anyways.

Makes me wonder if they'll try and do anything with it after the third movie, and I hope not. Sometimes it's best just to go out on a success, rather than to milk something to death. But I wonder what we can expect from Disney next in this genre...theme park rides turned into fun romps, that is.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
We're going tonight to the local drive in. Now, I would prefer to see it in a theater, but the little ones are clamoring to see it, and seeing it with them in our car (or rather, outside our car on lawn chairs) will probably be preferable than in a dark, crowded theater that will scare them. Plus, if they dont' like it, they can sit in the van and watch something else on our DVD player (with headphones, of course).

Then, there's the added bonus that the drive on only costs seven dollars a car, so we all get to see it for $1 per person.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it will also set the record for "most dissapointing movie to make so much freaking money in such a short amount of time".
Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

I liked it. [Smile]

And I believe the record you speak of will still be held by the Star Wars prequels. [Razz]

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Considering that it seems some movie sets a new box office record every summer, I find it less and less impressive to hear that one is doing well.
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

There's been a slump (of sorts) since 2004...after some very high profile films flopped last summer, or only made modest profits, something like this gets a lot of attention.
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
We have changed our plans. After researching the film more and reading more reviews, we've decided that it will be too scary for our six year olds. So, instead, I'm taking the twins and eight year old Em to the matinee showing of Cars in a couple hours, then I will come home, drop them off, and then turn around and take 13 year old Natalie and her best friend Jordan to Dead Man's Chest. Lots of sitting in the movie theaters for me today.

But I feel obligated to take Nat and Jordan, I already promised them both and need to placate the little ones by taking them to a movie as well, so they don't feel left out. The person who is left out is my hubby, who now must stay home with the younger ones and not go to a movie at all, but I promised him we'd go out together after my last chemo treatment to celebrate the end of that and he could pick both movie and restaurant.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay for Belle's last chemo! I hope that means you're done with the whole being sick thing.
~~~Belle~~~

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.