FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Somewhat involved Excel Question

Author Topic: Somewhat involved Excel Question
BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

- posted      Profile for BaoQingTian   Email BaoQingTian         Edit/Delete Post 
I've got a dataset that I'm working with. It basically includes a PWA number, year (2005 or 2006), # of units, & test time. There are 1-several occurances of each PWA, each with an associated year, # of units, & test time.

I'm using a pivot table to sum the # of boards and test times broken up by year and PWA #. Then I'm creating another dataset that will include the average time per test classified by board and year (the point of the year differentiation is to determine if my project had noticeable impact on test time from year to year).

The problem I"m having is that some of the boards only have data for 2005 or 2006, not both. This messes the sequencing up for my calculations. I want to edit my original data list so if a PWA does not have at least 1 entry for both 2005 and 2006 it is discarded (or not copied to a new data list, either is fine).

Help anyone?

Note: I've never done VBA scripts before. I'm comfortable with c++, java, and php, but I'd prefer not to have to learn VBA for this if at all possible.

Posts: 1412 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
You could parse the Excel file (as .csv, if necessary) with PHP or Java, then write the changes back. But it's actually much easier with VBA.

You could also probably achieve a similar result with lookups, although this would require two extra sheets.

I'd recommend the VBA approach, though. This isn't a particularly difficult macro.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
If the excel tables are well-formed and you have Access, you could attach them in an Access DB as tables and use SQL to do what you want very simply.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

- posted      Profile for BaoQingTian   Email BaoQingTian         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool, thanks for the feedback Tom and Dag....I really wanted to make sure there wasn't an easier way to do this in Excel. I don't think they have a convenient PHP server at work here (and if they did it'd take forever to get access to it), so I'll try the VBA route and the SQL. I've never used access, but if I can use SQL commands, it should work out.

Thanks Again

Posts: 1412 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

How's this look (I realize it's not very elegant, but does it work)?

Sub only_pairs()
num_rows = ActiveSheet.UsedRange.Rows.Count
found_flag = 0
For cur_row = num_rows To 2 Step -1

pwa = Cells(cur_row, 1).Value
test_date = Cells(cur_row, 2).Value

For scan_row = 2 To ActiveSheet.UsedRange.Rows.Count

If Cells(scan_row, 1).Value = pwa Then
If Cells(scan_row, 2).Value <> test_date Then
scan_row = ActiveSheet.UsedRange.Rows.Count
found_flag = 1
End If
End If

Next scan_row

If found_flag = 0 Then
Rows(cur_row).Delete
End If

found_flag = 0

Next cur_row
End Sub

Edit: Sorry, tabs aren't showing

[ July 10, 2006, 06:57 PM: Message edited by: BaoQingTian ]

BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

New Question:
The VBA script I did appears to have worked & shaved down my data from 4300 points to 3700 (I'm hoping it didn't eliminate anything valid though). However, I'm having another problem.

In my pivot table, there is data spaced like this:

A4,A10,A16,A22.....
I'm creating a new datalist from the pivot table to play with the numbers. For example, I'll need to do D6/D5, D12/D11....

However, Autofill does not want to cooperate with formulas. If I do =A4, =A10, =A16, it gives me =A7,=A13,=A19 as the next cell contents. I understand what it is doing, but not how to make it do what I want....any experience with this one?

Or will I have to do a normal series a4, a10, a16, and then use string concatenation to add the = sign to the beginning of each?

Ok, knowledge of the INDIRECT function is good...used this:

=INDIRECT("Pivot!D"&((ROW()-1)*6)+1)/INDIRECT("Pivot!D"&((ROW()-1)*6))

[ July 11, 2006, 12:39 PM: Message edited by: BaoQingTian ]

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I understand what it is doing, but not how to make it do what I want....any experience with this one?

Try filling out at least three fields with the correct function, then select all three before using AutoFill. By giving the system the chance to see the proper progression, you'll increase the chance that it'll get it right.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.