FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Damming Article in The Economist.

Author Topic: Damming Article in The Economist.
Pelegius
Member # 7868

- posted      Profile for Pelegius           Edit/Delete Post 
I should know better than to express an opinion on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, but I feel obliged to link to this article (subscription required so I will post it all here) http://www.economist.com/opinion/displaystory.cfm?story_id=E1_STQTNJP

quote:
BOTH sides are stuck in a hole; both seem bent on digging deeper. Since Palestinians abducted an Israeli soldier nearly a fortnight ago, the Israelis have thrown caution to the wind in their effort to rescue him. Their actions have been increasingly disproportionate—and look no more likely to win the hapless Corporal Gilad Shalit's release....
<You should know better than to post an entire copyrighted article, so I feel obliged to remove the article's content beyond what The Economist makes available without a subscription. --PJ>

[ July 11, 2006, 10:49 PM: Message edited by: Papa Janitor ]

Posts: 1332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
*sigh* As if it were only Hamas who has done so much to prove there is no Palestinian partner.

Geepers, what was that guy's name who led the Palestinians for such a long time? Died recently? It's on the tip of my tongue...

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Why isn't the default plan to return to Jordan whatever piece of the West Bank isn't going to stay part of Israel. They Heights went back to Syria, the Sinai to Egypt.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pelegius
Member # 7868

- posted      Profile for Pelegius           Edit/Delete Post 
Rakeesh, Yasser Arafat, who was almost universaly believed to be a roadblock to peace during his lifetime, but will probably be remembered as a great and pragmatic leader, thanks to how bad his successors are. He was, at least, a secular Arab married to a Christian rather than an Islamist.
Posts: 1332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
For anyone trying to get access to Economist articles, you can either use bugmenot.com or my own personal login: jharr@depauw.edu - password: 12345

I give this out to everyone, since I'm freeriding off my university library's subscription.

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, so it's not as though Palestinian leadership has only started being chronically disingenuous about peace efforts after Hamas's political victory.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Baron Samedi
Member # 9175

- posted      Profile for Baron Samedi           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Pelegius:
(subscription required so I will post it all here)

Oh, that reminds me. Has anyone heard that new Gnarls Barkley CD? You'd have to pay for it on iTunes, so I'll just upload my copy to the Hatrack server.

Now how do I do that?

Posts: 563 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.