FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » HI! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: HI!
Alien Touring
Member # 9568

- posted      Profile for Alien Touring   Email Alien Touring         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, well, a friend of Myrddin Fyres here. Uh. I "borrowed" all her OSC books and then realized this forum was OSC related and decided to join or something. So hello! And now I shall get on with lurking... ::disappears:: <_<

>_>

Posts: 18 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeesh
Member # 9163

- posted      Profile for Jeesh           Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to Hatrack!
Posts: 1164 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, you posted! I can finally say I know someone OUTSIDE of the 'rack first. That should count for something, eh?
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome! Myr is great, so I'm sure that any friend of hers will be a great addition to the forum.

Tell us a bit about yourself!

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Fan of a certain CS great, by any chance?
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi there! I love your name! [Smile]
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alien Touring
Member # 9568

- posted      Profile for Alien Touring   Email Alien Touring         Edit/Delete Post 
fugu, not a chance, no, never, i am definitely not a big geek. :-D nice catch

Noemon, fugu already caught my big secret. Amazingly enough I think I am the one CS major who hadn't read Ender's Game. A major oversight on my part, it has been remedied thanks to Myr. Oh, and I like longs walks on the beach and candle ... uhm , wrong forum, sorry.

Myr, free cookie maybe?

Jeesh, thanks! Good to be here, I just hope my mouse button can handle all the reload clicking... you guys are fast!

Posts: 18 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alien Touring
Member # 9568

Icarus, thanks!
Jeesh
Member # 9163

[Big Grin] We see a new name and swarm to the thread.
Posts: 1164 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Lol, I love your username! Welcome! Any friend of Myr's is a friend of all of us.
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome. JenniK (my wife) and I have met Myr IRL, and she is really cool.

I hope you enjoy Hatrack. [Big Grin]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
*thinks Alien Touring is an AI and we're being subjected to an Alien Touring Test*
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alien Touring
Member # 9568

Tatiana, thanks! Good to hear that, I was a little worried letting you guys know that I knew her at first ;-) ((I am so going to get punched for that))

Kwea, I would imagine so :-D

The Pixiest, will anyone ever know? ;-)

SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
French fries? *offers a plate of chili cheese fries*
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeesh
Member # 9163

Uh oh *backs away* I'm trying to get in shape
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

They're not for you. They're for the new person. Geez, are you trying to take away my welcoming gift?
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeesh
Member # 9163

I'm trying to stay away from foods like that. I usually decide to steal them.
peterh
Member # 5208

- posted      Profile for peterh   Email peterh         Edit/Delete Post 
Salutations!

[Hat]

Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I met Alan Turing IRL, but I can't be certain.
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Nice! Welcome aboard and have fun.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I guess you don't want the Chili Cheese Fries?

*begins to retract fries*

Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
Any friend of Myr's is a friend of ours. [Smile]

[Wave]

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, the thoughts of solipsism. So ... unwanted right now. lol. But that's another story.

Welcome to Hatrack! [Hat]

Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome. To your left is the room of a million tickles. To the right is the room of a million dobies. Choose wisely.

edit: Goes off to write a crappy landmark...

Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

And straight in front of you is a pedastal with a plate of Chili Cheese Fries sitting on it.
Alien Touring
Member # 9568

SteveRogers: YES, Oh how I would devour Chili Cheese Fries at this moment. They would go quite fantastically with the Denny's mini cheese burgers and heartland scramble I just consumed. (Hence the delay in accepting your gift).

Bob: Pretty rad (meeting Alan Turing)!

Ela: Awesome, uh, I would return your wave in animated fashion but not knowing how (yet), I will simply describe how I would do it if I knew how ((I probably could have figured it out by now (there's no going back (nesting parens? I should be asleep)))), so good to meet you too!

peterh: Had I a hat, I would tip it back.

Dr. Strangelove: Solipsism eh? I once tried to argue to my philosophy professor that Solipsism was really a universal love type of thought, since in essence you argue that we are all one person and everything is unified... He didn't buy it.

Boris: Not knowing what dobies are, I guess I'd go with the million tickles.

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
If you use the Full Reply Form, the animated smilie options will be on the left.

Or you can click on Instant Graemlins, if you prefer the Quick Reply box.

In either case, [Wave]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alien Touring
Member # 9568

Tante: I appreciate your appreciation of my paranoia ;-) Public displays of information weird me out (google knows all). Glad to be aboard.
Alien Touring
Member # 9568

rivka: [Party]

I'll resist the urge to act out a story using every single graemlin... must resist. ok resisted. i shall try to be responsible with my new found power. [Evil]

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
We had a thread like that . . . it might still be around here somewhere.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Bob: Pretty rad (meeting Alan Turing)!
Sorry, that was supposed to be a joke. He died 4 years before I was born.

Oh well, I guess it wasn't nearly as funny as I thought it was.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Arggh! I killed the thread.
Tatiana
Member # 6776

AT, have you read Godel, Escher, Bach?
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alien Touring
Member # 9568

Bob, I did finally get your joke, I felt silly for not getting it the first time.

Tatiana, not entirely. I have the book, but I've never made it directly though, I've delved into bits and pieces at different times. Some really fascinating stuff in it! What about you?

Tatiana
Member # 6776

Yes! I <3 that book!
Tatiana
Member # 6776

quote:
Originally posted by Bob_Scopatz:
I think I met Alan Turing IRL, but I can't be certain.

I still don't get it... ?
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Alan Turing is famous for (among other things) describing what has become known as "the Turing test." Basically, his insight was that if a native speaker of a language, interacting with an unknown entity (we've secretly switched your normal customer service rep with a computer) can't tell whether he or she is talking to a person or a computer, then the computer has reached a level of artificial sentience that is is as close to the real thing as we could.

His test was devised for typed interactions, btw, but the idea goes forward from there to the idea that our criterion of "success" in AI would be that people couldn't tell if they were interacting with a computer or a person, as long as they couldn't touch/see/probe whoever is talking to them.

So...

I might have met Alan Turing...then again...

Tatiana
Member # 6776

Okay, it was the IRL part that had me confused. [Smile] Thanks for explaining.
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Sure thing.

NOW is the joke funny?

I'm feeling very insecure about that joke.

Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't worry Bob, I got it.
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Really!?

You're not just saying that?

Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

Yeah, I really did! It brought a smile and a chuckle to me. In fact, it brings a smile and a chuckle to me now. [Smile] . So yes, your humor is appreciated.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Tell me more about not just saying that.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ginette
Member # 852

- posted      Profile for ginette   Email ginette         Edit/Delete Post 
I laughed more about what you said in your posts after the joke Bob [Big Grin]

Ohh... and welcome AT:-)

Posts: 1247 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alien Touring
Member # 9568

Bob, I have to admit, it's nice seeing someone else have to explain a joke as much as that. I feel your pain ;-)

Ginette, thanks! I'm feeling exceptionally welcome here; it's a pleasure.

Tatiana
Member # 6776

[ROFL] Bob, you're funnier when you're not funny than you are when you're funny, if that makes any sense!
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

[Hat]
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I dislike having to explain jokes. Especially math jokes. The few that I do tell are so grueling to explain.
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

Explain the chilli cheese fries, Steve, if you consider that a joke. It's ... odd, but at the same time mildly amusing. However, I don't understand it at all. No suprise there, but since the subject has been broached...
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

It's not a joke. It's just me being non-sensical. And I have no way to explain that.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.