FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Computer help

Author Topic: Computer help
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
So today my computer started making a clicking sound.

It sounds sorta like a turn signal when I turn my computer on, and it takes quite a bit longer to startup completely, though once it does, there's no more click, and everything runs smoothly.

Any ideas? Bad hard drive?

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Mice.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

What, did they put baseball cards in the spokes of their wheel?

I'll have their cheese! I mean heads!

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

Eek! Just noticed my comp's not recognizing my secondary hard drive. Alas! Most everything's backed up, but the cds are over 2000 miles away. [Grumble]

Maybe something just came unattached...we have been moving furniture around and stuff.

Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Doubt it. Sounds like a really, really dead hard drive. I had one that squealed at a really high pitch whenever I booted the system. I think I recorded it for posterity. Alas, it has long since been lost in the sea of upgrades.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
Bet that's not the only thing you've had die on you when you were trying to use it, eh? Guess your drive isn't as hard as you wanted to believe. Maybe it'd function normally if it were bigger?

Heh heh heh.

Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Best guess:

The long boot up is the system trying to recognize the drive and failing, and then going ahead and booting up the rest of the way.

If you ever stick an external drive on your system, and then run without it, you get the same phenomenon.

As long as you have backups, there's not much you need to do except replace that drive and start afresh.

If you don't have backups, it is possible to sometimes have the platters read and information retrieved. It's expensive because usually they have to take the platters out of your drive and put them in another drive, then read them, if possible.

It sucks.

Good luck.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.