FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Poker Room Fascism

Author Topic: Poker Room Fascism
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
So, I've been playing online poker at Doylesroom.com for almost a year. I enjoy the site and the software, and like to chat in the lobby about all manner of things.

Tonight, there were some technical issues, wherein Sprint's network went on the fritz which somehow affected connectivity to the site. To put it briefly, people kept getting kicked off.

The thing is, when they got kicked off, and brougth back after they missed blinds, they had to pay for the hands they missed - as if they had voluntarily gotten up from the table. At my $0.25/$0.50 table, that added up to $1.50 for the two times I was booted.

I complained in lobby chat.

I was subsequently banned from lobby chat for 24 hours.

When I asked about this, the response given was:

quote:
Your lobby chat was suspended due to your comments about us being
responsible for Sprint broadcaster's disconnection issues. Sprint was
not (and never will be) hired for our site to handle connections.

The connection issues were totally out of our control (which is already
hard enough to deal with), but to have you encouraging other players to
blame us for the problem will be definitively not tolerated.

Now, I never encouraged anyone to blame anyone for anything. I just wondered why the consumer would have to pay more because of technical issues on the provider's end.

Such criticism is apparently enough to be censored without so much as a warning.

When I requested to speak with a manager in their Live Chat, I was ignored for an hour and a half. They have 24 hour service, and normally join Live Chat after maybe 20 seconds. I called their hotline, and when I asked about my chat, he already knew who I was and told me they were instructed not to talk to me in LiveChat.

How is this any way to run a business?

[sorry, just needed to vent a bit]

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I always knew Doyle ran his tables with an iron hand!

I can understand their frustration. They don't want to be blamed for something they have no control over, and know that if rumors get out about their site not being reliable, that people will jumpship to partypoker or ultimatebet, or a dozen other pay poker sites.

On the otherhand, stifling honest complaints about something that frustrates you would probably lead to word of mouth being just as bad as what they were trying to stifle. It's a poor move, and I'm surprised that even at the management level you got that kind of response.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
My resolve not to gamble online was wavering. You just reaffirmed it. Thank you. [Smile]
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

My latest reply was again more of the same. He just copied the section of the Terms of Service that said:

quote:
In regards of your chat capabilities disabled we have this stated on
section 11 of the terms and conditions you agreed on when you signed up:

"11. Abusive or offensive language or other behavior considered inappropriate by the Poker Room in the context of the product will not
be tolerated. Bad behavior or language identified by the Poker Room or brought to its attention will be dealt with swiftly, and may result in a
suspension or loss of playing privileges or such other action as may be decided by the Poker Room."

As I said before the chat will remain suspended for 24 hours.

To which I have replied

quote:
Apparently talking about service issues is "behavior considered inappropriate by the Poker Room in the context of the product" - if I am to understand your meaning. I do want to understand this, as you are either saying that no complaints about the site will be tolerated, or no venting of frustrations will be tolerated.

- You still have not explained to me what policy your Hosts were following in allowing me to sit waiting for a Live Chat reply for 90 minutes.

- Nor have you explained why a simple statement such as "Sprint was not (and never will be) hired for our site to handle connections." - which was emailed to me after a much time waiting, a phone call, and two emails - could not have been made by a Host in the Lobby at the time of the incident.

I am not impressed by what your customer service team is showing me.

Somehow I doubt this guy will address either of these issues.
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Get even -- contact Congress and ask to have online gambling banned.
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
[Laugh] Bob
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
It just was, so that won't work either. [Big Grin]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I doubt it, too. So go somewhere else. *shrug* Gambling's a vice that you can practice pretty much anywhere.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd wager so.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

I likely will, for the short time that online poker remains legal before it goes underground. I will not be going underground with it, as I have Atlantic City two hours away.

It's just the "customer is always wrong" mentality that I've seen - and it's not just from this site. Customer service is disappearing, especially online. Musicmatch has no phone option, for instance, and states so explicitly on their site - all contact is via email, and you are not allowed to talk to anyone.

Similarly, my roommate has spent months back and forth with Gateway trying to get them to enforce a service contract she paid for, with little to no success.

Doyle's is far behind PokerStars and PartyPoker in users - you'd think they'd try *harder* to get and keep customers, rather than blowing them off. Just seems strange to me.

Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
Just hop on the party poker bandwagon. Or try out Full Tilt Poker or one of the other ones. You can at least get yourself a deposit bouns out of the deal.
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

I think I'm mostly frustrated because I have tried almost all of the sites, and I like Doyle's user interface the best - but with customer support this customer unfriendly, they force me to go somewhere else.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.