FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Ow. Advice, please.

Author Topic: Ow. Advice, please.
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
So... this morning, I fell down the stairs. It's not nearly as funny as it tends to be in movies. If you've ever skipped stones on water, that's pretty much what I did as I fell. And the T3 and Valium are wearing off. I can't decide whether I should take some more. On the up side, I haven't had a bite to eat all day, and I'm only now starting to feel a little hungry. I think vitamin V and T3 might have appetite suppressing qualities. I probably have a bruise the size of a small sheep right above my right kidney. I think I scared the hell out of Tova, too. She doesn't see me crying very often.

I think the stoned thing was good. I may try that again. I'm using my middle finger on my left hand to type what my ring finger should be typing, because I think I must have wrenched it, or something.

Never mind.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like you're banged up pretty badly. Any chance of a concussion? If so, a trip to the doctor is in order. Acutally, if you're hurt badly enough to need to drug yourself like that a trip to the Dr. is probaby warranted whether you're concussed or not.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Did you go to the hospital? Injuries like that can actually be worse than they feel (though I'd imagine that already hurts a lot).
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
See a Doctor. Internal injuries are common from falls like that.

Also, you may have fractured something, and all those drugs will do is mute the pain, causing you to continue to use the broken bone. Which of course only makes things worse, and more painful, later on.

Hope you feel batter, Lisa.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I am incredibly clumsy and have fallen down the stairs in my three times since we've lived here (they are hardwood stairs). On one occasion I was carrying a child (my niece.) That was the time I got hurt the most, because I twisted to try and protect the baby, and took a bad fall on my shoulder and hip. The baby was scared but okay.

Don't hesitate to take yourself to the doctor or ER to get checked out. Falls can be very nasty - I have broken my toe during a fall and incurred some very ugly bruises. Although, if you've taken T3 and valium, best get someone else to do the driving. *gentle hugs*

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

What is T3, by the way?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
Oww! [Frown]
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
T3 == tylenol 3 (with codeine and acetomenaphine) IIRC.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bean Counter
Member # 6001

- posted      Profile for Bean Counter           Edit/Delete Post 
One thing I was always worried about in our house searches in Iraq was falling down those damn rail-less stairs that stick out of the wall, It might sound crazy to worry about that over the possibility of being shot but the average Iraqi is like 130 lbs, my gear weighed that much and I was another 205 on top of that. Plus I had seen the careful Iraqi construction workers mixing mortar in holes dug outside and stirring it occasionally with sticks. No construction code anywhere to be seen.

I am glad that I never biffed out, I wonder how may troops did though, those stairs are crazy.

I would just wait and see before going to the hospital, but I would get off the meds if I where you, I would let the pain guide your activities rather then masking it. Hope you feel better soon.

BC

Posts: 1249 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:
What is T3, by the way?

Tylenol #3, i.e. Tylenol with a shot of codeine.

Lisa, take it easy today, ice down your injuries. I can't tell whether or not you need to go to the doctor, but the fact that you are asking a bunch of internet no-nothing strangers what to do makes me think that perhaps your inquiries should be directed to someone who is not a stranger and who does know something, you know, like, your doctor.

I can understand your reluctance to go to the hospital over this. Are there any urgent care centers where you can get your parts X-rayed? How about putting a call out to the doctor who took care of you after your fall down the elevator shaft? That's someone who is at least familiar with the phenomenon of falling stars.

Feel better. And have Tova kiss your boo-boos to make all better.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DavidR
Member # 7473

- posted      Profile for DavidR   Email DavidR         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure that if she is on Tylenol 3 and Valium that she has indeed been to see the doctor. If you haven't however, stop self medicating and get yourself to one pronto.

I've had T3 for a knee injury when I was in the Marines. It did the job quite nicely, but my Staff Seargent wouldn't let me do anything while I was on the stuff. You would think that it came with a warning about operating heavy machinery or something. . . Oh yeah, it did. [Smile]

Posts: 148 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
...but the fact that you are asking a bunch of internet no-nothing strangers what to do

Good poi...hey!
DavidR
Member # 7473

Hey, I thought that there were several doctors on this forum. Of course I mainly lurk, and rather sporadically of late, so maybe that isn't the case anymore.
Posts: 148 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by DavidR:
I'm sure that if she is on Tylenol 3 and Valium that she has indeed been to see the doctor.

You'd think. But I'm betting that she had some old stock hanging around in the medicine cabinet and decided that this was just the occaision to break it out.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
David, there ARE a bunch of doctors (and nurses) on the forum, but as I understand it, a diagnosis of anything is hard without actually looking at the person, and getting hard data.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by El JT de Spang:
T3 == tylenol 3 (with codeine and acetomenaphine) IIRC.

Turns out it was Vicodin. Havah thought it was T3 because she saw hydrocodone and assumed it was T3. Which explains why I'm so woozy.

The finger is throbbing, though. And I have a doctor's appointment in about two hours. Pathetic.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Feel better. And have Tova kiss your boo-boos to make all better.

She swarmed all over me while I was still on the floor bawling like a baby.
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
I'm sure that if she is on Tylenol 3 and Valium that she has indeed been to see the doctor. If you haven't however, stop self medicating and get yourself to one pronto.

Strictly speaking, it wasn't self-medicating, since my partner gave it to me. Heh. It was stuff in the medicine cabinet left over from the elevator accident and its aftermath.
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
quote:
...but the fact that you are asking a bunch of internet no-nothing strangers what to do

Good poi...hey!
See, "know-nothing" would have been insulting, but "no-nothing" actually sounds like a compliment.
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
quote:
I'm sure that if she is on Tylenol 3 and Valium that she has indeed been to see the doctor.

You'd think. But I'm betting that she had some old stock hanging around in the medicine cabinet and decided that this was just the occaision to break it out.
Par-tay.
Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
Originally posted by starLisa:
quote:
quote:

Good poi...hey!
See, "know-nothing" would have been insulting, but "no-nothing" actually sounds like a compliment.
Ah, good point. Unless she's saying we're all a bunch of yes men. Hm. Yes people?
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes persons.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DavidR
Member # 7473

Well, I hope that you are feeling better soon. I've never fallen down a flight of stairs, so I don't know exactly what that feels like, but I have fallen off of an aircraft while holding a hydraulic actuator that we were in the process of removing. Fortunately the Corporol that was supervising from the ground broke my fall. Nothing broken on either of us, but lots of bruising and pain to go around. I was stupid and gutted that one out. If there had been any internal injuries I could have had some real problems. No hydraulic actuators were damaged in this incident, it had two Marines to cushion its fall.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

I do believe that "no-nothing" more eloquently depicts ignorance than "know-nothing" does. No?
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Then again a "no-nothing" might be suggesting that we are not anything, therefore anything we say is not worth noticing.

I might be worse to actually be nothing than to simply not know anything.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
no advice, but I sprained my ankle and got two wasp stings today.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Did that all happen at once, breyerchic?
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
No, first I was watering plants at my mom's friend's house, and the wasps have taken over the hose hook up, got stung turning it on and off. Then went to blockbuster, and while stepping down, off the curb, I looked beside me to see how high the step was, judged, and fell. I realized that the curb was a different height. Now I'm realizing that benadryl and advil are making me very tired.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
I slept in (on?) a loft a couple of years ago and fell down the stairs coming down from it one morning. I destroyed the glasses I was wearing by cracking the plaster of the wall with my face, and tore (not cut, tore) my arm open in two places where the wood at the edges of the poorly carpeted stairs caught on my arm.

It was a pretty crappy day, what with the lack of glasses, blackeye, etc.

Needless to say i was significantly more careful coming down the stairs after that.

Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gwen
Member # 9551

- posted      Profile for Gwen           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Then again a "no-nothing" might be suggesting that we are not anything, therefore anything we say is not worth noticing.

I might be worse to actually be nothing than to simply not know anything.

Then again, it's a double negative, so by saying that we're not nothing, we're something. Not exactly a compliment, but not an insult either.
Posts: 283 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dantesparadigm
Member # 8756

- posted      Profile for dantesparadigm           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey! I have never not been known to not be a no-nothing!
Posts: 959 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad you're going to the doc. Hope everything is okay.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Let us know how you are doing when you can.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

So the doctor sent me to the emergency room, because the clinic doesn't have x-rays. I got home at about a quarter to one last night. Or this morning, I guess.

They took enough x-rays that I should have been glowing slightly. Small break in a rib, multiple contusions. My finger is sprained, and everything else is either a sprain or a bruise. My finger feels even worse this morning. They gave me a splint. The guy comes in and says, "I'm going to put a splint on your finger." When I groaned, he said, "It's not a big deal." I told him I'm a programmer. He thought about it for a second, and said, "Well, maybe it's sort of a big deal, then." Maybe I should try that thing vvhere you use two v's instead of a w. Heh.

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Poor honey! You know what you really need? A creative story to explain all your injuries. Because, quite honestly, "fell down" isn't all that captivating. Maybe something involving the running of the bulls at Pamplona, or a Greenpeace mission where you had a run-in with a whaling ship, or, a melee at Victoria's Secret. You're a writer -- work on it!

And a refuah shleimah to you. [Kiss] <--gently kisses the boo-boos

Kwea
Member # 2199

I hope you feel better, and I feel a lot better since you went to a doctor.

Oddly enough a lot of times a break heals faster than a bruised bone does. [Frown] Trust me, that was the voice of experience speaking. [Wink]

Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Poor honey! You know what you really need? A creative story to explain all your injuries. Because, quite honestly, "fell down" isn't all that captivating. Maybe something involving the running of the bulls at Pamplona, or a Greenpeace mission where you had a run-in with a whaling ship, or, a melee at Victoria's Secret. You're a writer -- work on it!

And a refuah shleimah to you. [Kiss] <--gently kisses the boo-boos

<grin> Thanks.

I'm not really accident prone. I rarely have accidents. It's just... when I do, they tend to be significant. No mere stubbing of toes for me. No, I drive off 300 foot cliffs, get into elevators that fall, tobbogan down a flight of stairs on my back and bum, blow a tire in the fast lane of a superhighway during rush hour, drive U-Hauls under things that are too low...

Stay back. I'm dangerous. <sigh>

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
I'm not really accident prone. I rarely have accidents. It's just... when I do, they tend to be significant. No mere stubbing of toes for me. No, I drive off 300 foot cliffs, get into elevators that fall, tobbogan down a flight of stairs on my back and bum, blow a tire in the fast lane of a superhighway during rush hour, drive U-Hauls under things that are too low...

You know, your last sentence here pretty much belies your first two. Are you SURE that you're not accident-prone?

Careful honey! It's a dangerous world. [Angst]

Zenox
Member # 8987

- posted      Profile for Zenox   Email Zenox         Edit/Delete Post 
I have complete sympathy for you. I fell down the stairs last year and fractured my heel. 8 weeks in a cast. Best of luck to you.
Posts: 58 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.