FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Looking to paint my house

Author Topic: Looking to paint my house
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
Was thinking about getting one of those power washers to spray the old paint off and what not. But I’m not sure about the details there. PSI and GPM and what not that I’ll need. Anyone done this? Plus where might be the best deal.
I’m also thinking of getting one of those power painters to. Wal-Mart has one for $50 and a step up model for $80.
I was looking at siding too. But that seemed to be pretty crazy. Not sure the deal there. Anyway… who has done this and has some opinions?

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
The military can paint your house with lasers.
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

No one used these power sprayers?
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I used an early model power painter once. It was a pain. The paint had to be thinned down to spray properly, which, of course, meant extra coats to get the desired coverage. That and it dripped. It wasn't neater, it was messier.

Hated it.

As for pressure washing before painting, I suppose that sort of thing works -- it'd be better than not doing any prep work.

But, if you have flaking paint and the pressure washer doesn't get it all off, you're going to need to scrape or sand anyway.

My current house was repainted before we bought it. They didn't scrape or do anything, apparently. Next time through is going to be a bear of a job.

Plus, it looks like the house has a bad case of skin cancer that's been painted over. Looks good from the street, but up close -- sheesh!

You gotta prep the surface well! So, if after pressure washing you've still got paint highs and lows on the surface, you have to do something else.

Might as well scrape to begin with, imo.

(note: I think that the rules may be different for stucco or cinder-block versus siding or wood frame -- I would check with a pro or talk to the hardware store folks).

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Power washers can be really handy for this sort of thing, but be careful--it's pretty easy to damage the surface that you're wanting to prep. What is it you'll be spraying? Bat and board? Stucco? Cinder block?

I'm not a huge fan of paint sprayers. A roller or brush takes longer, but they work the paint into the surface, which a paint sprayer simply doesn't do. You'll have to repaint sooner if you use a sprayer, or at least that's been my experience.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I had, as a client, a painting company. They used power washers all the time to clean the surface before painting. It was considered a very important step, especially as this was in Vancouver, which is rainforest area with algae growing on exterior surfaces.

And that's pretty much all I know. [Smile]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

It’s an old wood house built in the teens. Some areas have paint peeling. Some have about a ten year old paint job on it. It a real mix of everything.
One of the main things I can’t figure out is how much PSI will do. Wal-Mart has a couple of pressure washers. I think the max is 3000 while the low end one is 1000. I’m going to hit up Lowe’s this evening and see what they say. Should be fun.

Noemon
Member # 1115

Err on the side of too low when it comes to the pressure, especially if there are any places where the wood isn't in perfect shape.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
You don't want a high-PSI pressure wash on wood. You'll groove the wood in horrible ways if you've never done it before.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
I would suggest hiring someone, as opposed to doing it yourself.
Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ssasse
Member # 9516

- posted      Profile for ssasse           Edit/Delete Post 
Consider renting for the first time you do this, too. If the one you rent isn't just right, you can usually exchange it for another free (check first on the store policy, though). Then you'll have some idea of what you really want for your place when & if you decide to buy.
Posts: 132 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
I second Sara's recommendation; definitely rent rather than buying if it's your first time using one.
Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ssasse
Member # 9516

- posted      Profile for ssasse           Edit/Delete Post 
(Hey! Stray recognizes me. [Blushing] [Wave] )
Posts: 132 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Jay -- I have a very old house (1880) with original wood siding. I have been told by a professional that the wood is much too old to even CONSIDER using a power washer to clean it -- it would destroy the wood siding completely. It is currently being scraped, sanded and repaired by hand (my son) in preparation for a good primer coat.

I would say it depends on the condition of your wood. You could ask a pro to come out to give you an "estimate" (even if you don't use it) and see what his opinions are on the pressure washing.

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Farmgirl, could you send your son up to Dayton when he gets finished? I've got a porch that needs prepping.
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Ha! I'm having to use a cattle prod to keep him going as it is. I think we have a 8' square section actually cleaned and primed right now. At this rate, he might be done in 2010.

(did I mention that he is meticulous way past the point of aggravating?) [Wink]

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
If you're comfortable with a heat gun that's probably the fastest way to get off loose paint. But the time to learn how to use one is probably not on the side of your house.
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Exactly. So if you need to practice, I hear there's a porch in Dayton that could use prepping. . .
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.