FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A long shot, but... anyone see Damien Rice?

Author Topic: A long shot, but... anyone see Damien Rice?
Angiomorphism
Member # 8184

- posted      Profile for Angiomorphism           Edit/Delete Post 
Was anyone else at the Damien Rice concert at the Danforth Music Hall in Toronto yesterday? I know there's a few of you from Toronto, but it was a small venue, and Rice is under the radar still.

This could also turn into a "people who have seen Damien Rice live" thread.. He was spectacular! He really rocked out, which was unexpected if you've ever heard his recorded stuff. He also did some cool covers, like Creep, and Hallelulah.

[ July 18, 2006, 10:50 AM: Message edited by: Angiomorphism ]

Posts: 441 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ssasse
Member # 9516

- posted      Profile for ssasse           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Angiomorphism:
He also did some cool covers, like Creep, and Hallelulah.

[Smile] Good taste.
Posts: 132 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
I would give my left elbow to see Damien Rice perform live. I'd give up BOTH elbows to see Tom Waits play a club (August 1 in Atlanta, an old renevated Church called The Tabernacle) but alas, he was sold out in like 37 minutes and I had no money or blood or plasma to spend.

*sigh* this sucks. I am thinking of standing outside the club and mugging two old beatnik ladies when they come to see the show.

Tom Waits....drool.

[ July 18, 2006, 11:19 AM: Message edited by: Ben ]

Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
... Tom Waits for no man ...
Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Demonstrocity
Member # 9579

- posted      Profile for Demonstrocity   Email Demonstrocity         Edit/Delete Post 
Rice is pretty damn good. I saw him some time ago at a small venue here in Seattle, where he wasn't even announced, that sneaky bastard.

He's been much less under-the-radar since Closer was in theaters, though.

Indie cred aside, it was a pretty good show. He's a pretty mediocre guitarist, but I like his music, and he sounds as good live as he does recorded, which is always a nice bonus.

I wish I'd gotten to see him rock out, but this was a SMALL venue.

Posts: 246 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aeroth
Member # 6269

- posted      Profile for Aeroth   Email Aeroth         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh. It's pretty funny; just this morning I was wondering when Rice would get around to releasing something new. Love the guy's music.

Anybody else ever have "Delicate" ringing through their head all day?

Posts: 121 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Angiomorphism
Member # 8184

- posted      Profile for Angiomorphism           Edit/Delete Post 
It was actually kind of funny, because this was a small venue as well, only a few hundred people in a small theater-type concert hall. So everyone was sitting down even when he got all electric and loud.

He actually mentioned during the concert that his new stuff is almost done (he even played a few new songs), and he is expecting a december-ish release.

EDIT: the best part of the concert was his encore. He came out and told this whole long story about meeting this girl in a bar, and between each little bit he would ask for a glass of wine and chug it down, and play songs as the story progressed. Then he went off after playing 3 songs, and came back on for a second encore and played 4 more songs!

Posts: 441 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
Man, I wish I saw that. Hopefully he's still touring.
Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.