FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » That's a new one

Author Topic: That's a new one
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a new tactic being employed to shut down abortion clinics: buy it.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I would think abortion providers have a fair amount of money themselves. What stops them from buying buildings to practice in, rather than renting?
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
*checks watch*

I predict two hours, tops, before this thread becomes a full blown abortion debate, complete with at least one instance of the phrase "killing babies."

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Too late. Someone already used the phrase.

Why wouldn't you comment on the likelihood of the phrase "women's choice"?

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I am 100% in support of property rights, if a pro-life group buys the building they have the right to shut down the clinic. If an abortion provider buys a building, he has the right to operate a clinic in it.

I can't see where anyone would have a problem with this - it's pefectly legal and a much better approach than harassing or threatening providers.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Demonstrocity
Member # 9579

- posted      Profile for Demonstrocity   Email Demonstrocity         Edit/Delete Post 
KILLING BABIES IS WOMEN'S CHOICE!

Bwahaaa!

Posts: 246 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
It's perfectly legal, but it has a big problem.

It is addressing the act of the abortion rather than the causes behind why women get them. Until those causes are directly addressed, buying out and shutting down abortion clinics won't stop abortions. It will just stop medically performed/supervised abortions from being available, and "back alley" abortions may become more prevelant.

At least that's the way I see it.

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Javert:

It is addressing the act of the abortion rather than the causes behind why women get them. Until those causes are directly addressed, buying out and shutting down abortion clinics won't stop abortions. It will just stop medically performed/supervised abortions from being available, and "back alley" abortions may become more prevelant.

I agree, complete waste of funds on their part.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

Well, I'm just saying that putting money toward the problem rather than the symptom might be a better idea for society as a whole.
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Angiomorphism
Member # 8184

- posted      Profile for Angiomorphism           Edit/Delete Post 
Are abortion clinics all that rare where the one was bought? I mean, here in Toronto, there are at least 6 of them, so even if one was bought and closed, it really wouldn't make a big difference. Although I'm guessing the situation is different in the US??
Posts: 441 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Did you read the article? In at least one case, they opened a pregnancy crisis/counselling center in the property. And they specifically said that if their clients chose to have an abortion after all, they would still welcome them back and help them deal with the fallout from that.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

I did not read the article, no. I plan to when I get home from work, however. If that is the case Icarus, then awesome, that's a great idea.
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
Can we agree to disagree, link to the bazillion previous abortion threads, and close down this link?
Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Can we agree to disagree, link to the bazillion previous abortion threads, and close down this link?
You are free to go participate in other threads and leave this one alone.

quote:
It is addressing the act of the abortion rather than the causes behind why women get them.
Let me point out that there are many situations where as a society, when we want to prevent something, we use tactics which address only the act and not the cause.

It is not an inherently bad thing, especially if people are attempting to address the cause with other methods.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
It is better than some of the other options, IMO, although I doubt it would work in most places.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I agree -- it seems that it's a tactic which can only work for a short while.
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
Let's see, it's been 11 hours, and we've all been able to remain reasonably calm. I think this is a new record!
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Notice the really really subdued topic I gave the thread?
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

People like that do. They call it abstinence-only education.
Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Somewhat related.

I don't what's behind it, but yesterday's Washington Post had an article somewhere in there about some faith-based pregnancy counseling clinics giving out false information about the dangers of abortion.

This could all be partisan politics (it's a Democratic report), or the Post digging for something that isn't there (the clinics involved are among the small %-age that get federal funding -- for abstinence programs). But they did find apparent misinformation on websites for some of these places.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

quote:
Originally posted by theamazeeaz:
quote:

People like that do. They call it abstinence-only education.
That would be great. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be terribly effective.

Correction...abstinence is 100% effective. It's the programs that aren't always effective.

Shawshank
Member # 8453

- posted      Profile for Shawshank   Email Shawshank         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never understood why so many people find abstinence-only education to be that much of a problem. Because in truth it is the only method in which a girl can't become pregnant- and especially for young teenagers.

I really feel that it is bad to teach children that "sex is okay at your age as long as you do these 'safety' procedures" because in all honesty- I would venture that it shouldn't be a healthy choice at their age.

Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Let's see, it's been 11 hours, and we've all been able to remain reasonably calm. I think this is a new record!
I take partial credit -- no one likes to be predictable.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Because many of us feel that teaching only "don't do it" is not enough. And studies seem to support that belief.

There is no sex education program I know of that teaches "sex is okay at your age." And all of them stress abstinence as the only sure-fire method of birth control. But the attitude is more "you shouldn't do it, but if you must here's how to stay safe."

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

quote:
Originally posted by Shawshank:
I've never understood why so many people find abstinence-only education to be that much of a problem. Because in truth it is the only method in which a girl can't become pregnant- and especially for young teenagers.

I really feel that it is bad to teach children that "sex is okay at your age as long as you do these 'safety' procedures" because in all honesty- I would venture that it shouldn't be a healthy choice at their age.

Well, I can only speak for myself, so I will.

I don't think that abstinence education is a bad thing. The reason it's a problem when it is the ONLY education is that the children who choose not to be abstinent go out and have sex with absolutely no knowledge or protection.

In a perfect world we could teach children to be abstinent until they had a certain level of maturity and it would work. Unfortunately, kids go out and have sex. Because of that, I would much rather educate them on how to do so safely than write them off because they choose not to be abstinent.

katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the stories of people opening pregnancy centers in place of the abortion centers.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
Because in truth [abstinence] is the only method in which a girl can't become pregnant- and especially for young teenagers.
That's not completely true. You can't get pregnant from purely homosexual activity.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.